The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default If you have a little time, money or items to donate, here is another option:

If you have a little time, money or items to donate, you can go right to the source. Having dealt with neglected horses, in GA, I know that if the impound program doesn't have money, horses suffer. Sick and sad as it sounds. I found myself very frustrated trying to get help for a neglected horse and in hindsight, I came to the conclusion that what we really need to do it support this program! So...
    http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,...124594,00.html

From their website:
    "The Georgia Department of Agriculture’s Equine Health Section is charged with the duty of ensuring that Georgia’s equines receive humane care, including receiving adequate food and water. If owners do not comply with the state’s laws concerning the health and welfare of their equine, the state has the authority and obligation to impound the animals in negligent owners’ care.

Since there are no state appropriated funds for the impound program, the department relies on the proceeds from the sale of the rehabilitated equines and donations from the public to continue caring for Georgia’s abused and neglected horses, donkeys, mules, and ponies. With the state facing profound budget cuts and donations down, the program’s future is uncertain as we reach an all time high in the number of cases reported and equine impounded. Therefore, we are reaching out in attempts to collect donations to help us overcome the financial deficit the impound barns face. The animals are in constant need of feed, hay, vet care, farrier care, and supplies required for daily management and housing. "
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Aint this the truth. REscue in GA has gotten to an all time high. I have taken on many many horses for my Dept of Ag representative that would not have found homes even in their auctions but..................I cant do it anymore. I have way too many and the phone and internet are going crazy with people needing or wanting to give up there horses. When will this end.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement