The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How does WIHS Equitation Finals rank?

Question - I did the AHSA Finals, Maclay Finals back in the 80s and will be taking a walk down memory lane when I visit the Washington in late October to see the horse show. Back when I showed at the WIHS at the Capital Centre in Landover, Md. the show had no equitation class.

So, in terms of prestige, how does winning the WIHS Equitation Finals compare to winning the USEF Medal or the Maclay? I would think that less entries would mean it is more fun to watch.

I don't think it has as much prestige attached, in large part because it's so much newer than the other finals, with less history. Not to say some good riders haven't won it- obviously they have, but I'd rank it behind the Medal, Maclay, and USET.

And that is what I thought. I bet it is still a really fun class to watch though.

Thanks for your reply.

I consider it one of the major finals, but behind the Maclay, USET, etc.

my friends leading the ranks as of this week! but anyway. id put maclay first. then usef medal. and then uset and WIHS on the same level. but maclay in my opinion is by far the most important.

home: Warm Beach, WA college: Amherst, MA

It is certainly one of the big 4 finals. I'd rank them as such: USEF, USET, Maclay, WIHS.
    Maybe it's just me, but I think that after Road to the Maclay on Animal Planet, the Maclay became a lot more popular! I overhear little kids (teenagers too, on many occasions!) saying things like "one day I want to be a Maclay rider" instead of just "big eq" or "equitation" or "going to a Medal Final."

Prestige may be lower, but it's by far the hardest final to qualify for, and really only includes the very top kids.

As a spectator, I'd think it would be the most fun (though I've never been, personally). You'll get to see a smaller class of mostly high quality trips. Compare that to Harrisburg where it's hours and hours of mostly poor ones.

I also like the concept of the final round, where the top group automatically switches horses for the final test. I think that's part of the reason why the WIHS winner is often not the Medal/Maclay winner.

Quote Originally Posted by touchstone- View Post
    Prestige may be lower, but it's by far the hardest final to qualify for, and really only includes the very top kids.
    Exactly. The Medal and Maclay could, in theory, be won by a long shot with very little money, etc. But the qualifying criteria is so tough for WIHS that really, only the big guns with enough money to campaign and win get to qualify.

Touchstone, I'm not sure that this pay to play medal attracts "only the top kids." The WIHS medal is for those who campaign at the biggest shows (and win) because the points are accumulated based on the #s in the class, placings, and frequency of wins. It's like the HOTY awards. Last year, my daughter, who was considered by many to be a "top rider" (winning the USET East finals, participating in the George Morris Horsemastership Clinic (invited participants only) at WEF, winning team gold for NAYRC, was just lucky enough to get great catch rides since she didn't own a horse, let alone have the funds to campaign week in and out. She didn't do (and never did) the Washington medal during her junior years because we didn't want to spend limited funds campaigning, although we sometimes used it as a warm-up class. I really think it's a great medal, but a great medal for those who can afford it. The USEF, USET and Maclay medals attract the same kids as the Washington, they just attract "more Top riders"! Let's please stop equating $ with quality: Hopefully the USHJA emerging athletes program and other opportunities will help end this type of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by adhock View Post
    Touchstone, I'm not sure that this pay to play medal attracts "only the top kids." The WIHS medal is for those who campaign at the biggest shows (and win) because the points are accumulated based on the #s in the class, placings, and frequency of wins. It's like the HOTY awards. Last year, my daughter, who was considered by many to be a "top rider" (winning the USET East finals, participating in the George Morris Horsemastership Clinic (invited participants only) at WEF, winning team gold for NAYRC, was just lucky enough to get great catch rides since she didn't own a horse, let alone have the funds to campaign week in and out. She didn't do (and never did) the Washington medal during her junior years because we didn't want to spend limited funds campaigning, although we sometimes used it as a warm-up class. I really think it's a great medal, but a great medal for those who can afford it. The USEF, USET and Maclay medals attract the same kids as the Washington, they just attract "more Top riders"! Let's please stop equating $ with quality: Hopefully the USHJA emerging athletes program and other opportunities will help end this type of thinking.
    Perhaps I misspoke. I didn't mean the "best" kids so much as I meant the kids who are most consistently winning in good company. Point taken. And congratulations to your daughter and all of her impressive successes!

That said, I think that you could easily make the argument that the Maclay and especially the Medal are even more "pay to play" than the WIHS class. If you have the horses and the finances to go to show after show, picking up your two points at a time, you *will* be able to qualify for Harrisburg, even if you don't deserve to be there.

There's no way you can simply buy your way into Washington. YES, you do need the resources to compete at the big shows with the larger classes--and of course, there are some great riders who can't afford to do that. But if you can't win in that company, you have no chance of qualifying by chasing around at one days every weekend.

I never even tried to qualify for the WIHS medal, because I don't show or win nearly enough, but if I had been a junior this year (I went to Washington to show in the hunters last year and saw the medal final), I would have definitely made quailfying for it a priority this year (or, I would have atleast tried!).

Anyhow, I think it's much more fun to watch than the USEF medal, but not as enjoyable to watch as the USET finals. And I like that there's only 30 rounds