The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Difference between jumper bred vs. dressage bred babies athletic ability?

Okay...I just looked at a million videos of Oldenburger Pferde foals. After watching every single video in both the dressage bred and the jumper bred selections...I see no difference in gait/athleticism between the two lines (with the exception of one or two dressage bred babies whose trots are nothing short of SPECTACULAR)...otherwise the rest all look the same to me. My filly has Zeus, Furioso II and Andiamo...all of whom I saw in the jumper-bred category and not the dressage-bred category...but I want to do dressage with her! Is she going to be unspectacular because she isn't related to Donnerhall? Her gaits are just as nice as any of the babies I saw in the videos. I'm nervous

Your foal has absolutely no hope as a dressage prospect but I would be willing to help you out and take her off your hands.

SERIOUSLY - relax! Many of the very best dressage horses are actually jumper bred. Furioso II at one time was one of the top producers of dressage horses in Germany. And Andiamo was dual-talented and I believe sired both dressage horses and jumpers. http://www.liverystable.net/index.php?a=2&b=386

May I ask if you bred your filly yourself? Wonderful pedigree.

Hmm...I don't think that's the same andiamo...her lines are all from overseas and it looks like that guy is in the USA...also he's listed as a Hanoverian in her dad's pedigree and the horse you linked to is a Holsteiner. I did not breed her myself...but I'd like to breed her baby myself someday ;-)...i'm holding out for Moorlands Totilas!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydutch View Post
    Hmm...I don't think that's the same andiamo...her lines are all from overseas and it looks like that guy is in the USA...also he's listed as a Hanoverian in her dad's pedigree and the horse you linked to is a Holsteiner. I did not breed her myself...but I'd like to breed her baby myself someday ;-)...i'm holding out for Moorlands Totilas!
    Well the foreign sire Andiamo, by Absatz,was, I believe, a GP dressage horse, but I will double check.

I am breeding my Florencio x Jazz to Gribaldi for a baby Tortilas. Mom needs to have a quick hindend and a good motor behind for that. And preferably, a good neck.

Edited to add: I found this re Andiamo --

ANDIAMO - licensed son of the legendary Hanoverian stallion, ABSATZ. Andiamo won the Danish 100 day test in 1996. He was licensed in five German Verbands. In 1999 the German Equine press reported the Andiamo had grown into being a superstar stallion.

The German index figures from 1997 showed that Andiamo is a dressage producer of international standard. No. 8 in dressage. In combined jumping and dressage he ranks as number 10 among all younger stallions.

We have video of “an” Andiamo on the Dressage portion of the 1990 World Equestrian Games video. One or two websites claim that the Danish stallion May Sherif is the sire of this Andiamo, who was the World Cup winner in 1990. He was ridden by Sven Rothenberger.

Well, Sandro Hit, one of the greatest stallions in breeding currently, is almost entirely jumper bred.

Also, in the young sensation, Quaterback's pedigree, you'll find many jumper lines.

Both SH, and QB are freakishly good movers

The best jumper foals also move very well, as they need to be just as athletic, just in a different way. I've found that many GOOD jumper foals, have extraordinary canters in particuliar. I don't think that being jumper-bred is really much of an 'excuse' to skimp on the movement department. Just watch videos of top jumper stallions, typically, they are very good movers as well.

Another line I think of when thinking of good moving jumping lines is Fabriano. Look at Fabuleux (and his full sisters), all excellent movers. Also there is Fred Astaire, he stands in the US, and is also an awesome mover. The gelding that Debbie McDonald was riding for a while, Felix, was a very good moving Fabriano gelding.

Olympic Ferro was very successful in jumping (not sure to what level?), as well as being successful in Grand Prix Dressage.

I agree that jumpers will often quicken up the hind end I have an almost entirely jumper-bred mare, and she is a very good mover. SUPER, SUPER canter, with a very quick hind leg.

I often watch videos of the Andiamo by Absatz, just because he's such a beautiful boy. Anybody know about frozen quality on him?
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Aah yes the Andiamo by Absatz is the one in my horse's pedigree...was he a dressage horse? It does make more sense to me that the well bred warmblood will be athletic in whichever arena they are placed. My filly's canter is particularly nice and relaxed...but she is constantly trying to jump out of everything. She has jumped out of her paddock fence (almost 5 feet high) on more than one occasion...and if I let her run around at liberty in our riding arena, she will jump out (4 foot fence)... but I've never seen her piaffe in her paddock at liberty or anything. I've read that horses with natural dressage athleticism will show off in that manner as babies? She is going through a wicked awkward phase at the moment (16 months) and is extremely butt high....wish I had a decent video to post.