The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ROBIN STAR FORGETS ABOUT HER DOG BEING IN CAR

http://voices.kansascity.com/node/5606

Dog of Michael Vick's leading critic dies in hot car

By Yael T. Abouhalkah, Kansas City Star Editorial Page columnist

Robin Starr has been an outspoken critic of NFL quarterback Michael Vick for leading a cruel dogfighting ring. Vick acted despicably, then served his time in prison.

But today Starr is dealing with a cruel twist of fate.

A 16-year-old family dog died in the back seat of her car last week after being left there for four hours on a hot day in Richmond, Va.

Let's be clear: By all accounts so far, this was an accident that could have been avoided.

Starr, the CEO of the Richmond Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, says she didn't realize the deaf and blind dog -- named Louie -- was in the car.

That's because her husband, Ed, had put the car in the back seat but failed to tell his wife. The dog died of kidney failure.

Already, internet message boards are full of hateful comments about Starr. Some try to equate the accident involving her dog with the Vick dogfighting incidents.

There is no valid comparison at all, and people know it.

Vick knew exactly what he was doing when dogs were mauled or even killed during the dog fights at his home.

She's lucky it didn't happen in Philadelphia. I can only imagine what PSPCA would have done to her!

That's horrible The owners must feel terrible.

Interesting that one commenter noted the relationship between HSUS and the current Republican candidate. Didn't think anyone had noticed his heavy involvement in anti-hunting efforts in Virginia.

I don't understand the daggers being thrown at this poor woman. She had the dog for 16 years and I'm sure is completely devestated by what happened - an obvious terrible mixup. To even put that story in the same context as the controversy surrounding Michael Vick is absurd. I can't imagine the sorrow she must have felt when discovering her long time friend trapped in that car.

If anything, there should be some spousal abuse going on !

Sounds like a terrible and tragic mistake. As someone pointed out, there are people who forget their CHILDREN are in the car. If her husband put him in there and he never made a sound, then it sounds like an honest mistake. It doesn't make it any better an end for the old dog, but I would not cast the first stone.

Not horse-related.