The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Are minors allowed to post things on craigslist? HR

Are minors supposed to post ads on craigslist, or should they be flagged?

The ads usually go something like this, "I'ma 14 year old girl and I luv horses! I want 2 buy a gelding, mare, stallion, filly or a colt! Willing to spend $100".

I responded to one where girl wants to lease a horse. She is 16. First the price was $250 and now it's down to $200. I contacted her and told her about one of my horses. I said that I need to be in contact with her parents because she is a minor. I have her home phone number and we have played phone tag. Told her that I would meet her and her parent for a quick coffee to see if we are a match in terms of goals, and that we would then go from there. She said ok, yet I never heard from her or her mother yet. I think I'm going to call their home phone number and get her mother on the phone to see if this is legit. It could be, or the kid might just be a crazy horse loving girl or a nut.

If I were you, I wouldn't be responding to any ads that are obviously posted by clueless kids.

Agree with above poster. Do NOT respond to a kid. No no no.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I have had to deal with curious kids responding to Petfinder listings for dogs in the past, and in just about every case I never hear from the parent.

I think it is often a case of the kid not knowing how to bring it up with a parent, or the parent nixing the idea and the kid not knowing how to back out.
    Sheilah

I don't think minors are supposed to be posting on Craigslist, but they sure do it a lot. Any search on "horse" for my local Craiglist comes up with numerous "I'm 13 and want a free pony pleaseeeeeeeee" postings.

The craigslist post from the 16 year old sounded legit, but did say anything about her age. Found out her age in an email.

I remember the days when kids wrote in diaries or daydreamed about horses or actually played outside with their friends and got exercise and fresh air...

Wait, maybe that was an episode of 7th Heaven or something.

I agree with those who say stay away from interacting with minors through Craigslist. The risk outweighs the potential reward.

Poor horse crazy kid! Needs an Auntie like "Woody"

I worry that the child could be in danger from a pedophile!

Why not respond - you could really make a difference in her life! Fortunately i had a few people take pity on me, a horse crazy kid from the burbs and child of horseless parents!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"