The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Questions about a Feed Program

Everything I know about feeding horses is old school. Can someone give me some good examples for the following horses. As it seems COTHers have a vast quantity of knowledge.

We are re-locating soon and I think this would be a good time to change (slowly of course).

Currently all horses are currently on good quality timothy/alfalfa mix (appropriate quantities for each) and Gro & win high fiber. Also, good pasture. New farm has NO pasture, new farm feeds a sweet feed mix and decent quality hay.

I would like to hear some imput on non-concentrate diets for some of these horses

Horse 1) Approx 1500 lbs Warmblood gelding, light work moving into training as condition improves. Fairly level headed. Will need to add muscle mass & lose approx 75-100 lbs. This horse would get cranky if he did'nt get grain. Currently 5 (ish) lbs of concentrate a day.

Horse 2) Nut case of a OTTB-very athletic, very people shy, Approx 1100 lbs has had weight issues in the past. Plan to start him back into work in the next few weeks. I would like to try him on a "no grain diet" if feasible. Currently 7 lbs concentrate per day

Horse 3) HUGE OTTB, about 200 lbs from being "good weight" He is in light work to be moving to training as muscle and weight increase. He can be a little hot at times. Prefer to get weight on him and worry about hot later.
    This horse is not supposed to have oils ect. Currently getting 10 lbs concentrate a day

Horse 4) OTTB approx 1000 lbs. Very mareish...very opionionated, very hot. Good weight at the moment, have played with her feeding alot in the 4 years we have had her. Have not tried the "no grain diet" as we have fought the "skinny thoroughbred" thing until last year. She is in light-medium work, about 3-4 times a week. Currently on 7 lbs concentrate a day.

Would love to hear thoughts, I am not a big fan of sweet feed for the hot horses.
    How can I supplement them and cut as much "grain" out of the OTTB's diets?
    The warmblood is fine, but he would like to eat as much as possible

Soaked plain/molasses free beet pulp, a ration balancer (I like Equipride personally), Cool Calories or Canola Oil (depending on who will eat what ). If more calories are needed to meet higher work demands, alfalfa pellets and rice bran are good to chuck into the mix.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

http://www.southernstates.com/equuss...d_selector.jsp

http://www.southernstates.com/equuss...d_selector.jsp

Here are some links to Southern States website. It askes you like 5 or 6 questions about hay quality, exercise, age, etc to help you determine which feed they have that best suits your horse's needs. Its very helpful!
    Dear life, please send grapes. Sincerely, I prefer wine over lemonade.

Chocomare, does Equipride supplement protein?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Also, there's not nearly enough sugar in sweet feed to make horse's "hot" or hyper.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldenburg99 View Post
    Also, there's not nearly enough sugar in sweet feed to make horse's "hot" or hyper.

There can be enough NSC's in sweet feed (or any feed, for that matter, but SF tends to run higher) to do so. And some horses react to sugar (and other feedstuffs) as if they were allergic to it.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Chocomare, does Equipride supplement protein?
    Here's the ingredient list (14% protein)
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

There can be enough NSC's in sweet feed (or any feed, for that matter, but SF tends to run higher) to do so. And some horses react to sugar (and other feedstuffs) as if they were allergic to it.
    Ditto. The high starch grains in sweet feed PLUS the molasses make for a fast glycemic response by the body. Basically, a sugar rush WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Here's the ingredient list (14% protein)
    Now I remember why I always have to ask questions about it - or go look at the container in the barn - because I can never get their website to open for me!! Would you mind copying it and posting it?
    ---

Now I remember why I always have to ask questions about it - or go look at the container in the barn - because I can never get their website to open for me!! Would you mind copying it and posting it?
    Anything for you dahling. Ta dah!

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
    Crude Protein, Min. = 14.00%
    Crude Fat, Min. = 5.50%
    Omega 3 Fatty Acid, Min. = 0.55%
    Crude Fiber, Max. = 5.50%
    ADF, Max. = 8.50%
    Calcium (Ca), Min. = 1.00%
    Calcium (Ca), Max. = 1.50%
    Phosphorus (P), Min. = 1.25%
    Salt (NaCl), Min. = 7.50%
    Salt (NaCl), Max. = 9.00%
    Magnesium (Mg), Min. = 1.50%
    Potassium (K), Min. = 1.10%
    Sulfur (S), Min. = 0.25%
    Fluorine, Max. = 0.8 ppm
    Copper (Cu), Min. = 500 ppm
    Selenium (Se), Min. = 5.0 ppm
    Zinc (Zn), Min. = 1,000 ppm
    Iron (Fe), Min. = 350 ppm
    Manganese (Mn), Min. = 750 ppm
    Iodine (I), Min. = 8.0 ppm
    Cobalt (Co), Min. = 4.0 ppm
    Biotin, Min. = 18 mg/lb.
    Omega 3 fatty acid, Min. = 5,500 ppm
    Vitamin A, Min. = 100,000 IU/lb
    Vitamin D, Min. = 20,000 IU/lb
    Vitamin E, Min. = 350 IU/lb

Ingredients

ProBiotein™ (Yeast Culture on a fermented media of wheat, oats, barley malt and flax), Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles, Salt, Ground Flax, Pea Meal, Calcium Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Chloride, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Product Liquid, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D3), Vitamin E Supplement, Biotin.

Digestive Enzyme Activity (at time of manufacture):
    Alpha-Amylase (from Barley malt, Aspergillus oryzae) 34,180 ug starch hydrolyzed/min/oz.
    Amyloglucosidase (from Aspergillus niger, Aspergillus oryzae) 4,540 ug maltose hydrolyzed/min/oz.

More Information

ProBiotein is a proprietary blend-additive consisting of yeast
    culture, prebiotic oligosaccharides, enzymes, and protein isolates.

The Yeast in ProBiotein, cultured on a media of wheat, oats, barley malt and flax, is rich in biotin and other nutrients to aid digestion. The Oligosaccharides, often called “prebiotics,” because they feed the beneficial probiotic bacteria, are a key part of the ProBiotein additive. These prebiotics help maintain good digestive tract health.

Enzymes, the catalysts of digestion are included in a fibrinolytic, amylolytic & proteolytic array to assist fiber, protein and mineral utilization.

Flax helps in many ways. The oil is dense energy which is high in Omega 3 fatty acid content. Omega 3 is an essential fatty acid often missing in modern diets. Flax is also among the richest sources of lignans, which help improve immune function. Organic complexed minerals are featured. Zinc, copper and manganese are complexed, or bound to protein instead of other minerals, assuring high bioavailability.

EquiPride also includes ethyl alcohol to raise palatability, enhance fiber digestion and add another non-starch energy source. Now with feed efficiency boost, the cost of maintaining your horse in top condition can be reduced.

Sorry I should've said it better. I agree with you about the NSCs - that happens to people and horses. What I meant was actually pure sugar. People have a misconception (IMO) that sweet feed has all this sugar in it because its sweet feed. When actually its the NSCs from any feed providing glucose for energy, like you said.