The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Talk to me about IEA

My daughter is very excited to join her barns IEA team. She is starting 8th grade and jumps 2'6. I have visited the IEA website and what not, but I am just looking for some input from those who have been on a team or parents of kids on a team. It seems to run in a similar format to IHSA. So any stories, likes, dislikes, etc. to share would be appreciated. I am getting together a list of questions for the team meeting. TIA
    Drop the drama and ride!

My daughter rode IEA for the first time last year and loved it. Her team ended up going to Nationals in Ohio and we had a great time (got to meet a fellow Cother while we are there too)

The horses were nice, and the shows were well run/on time - our team had to travel quite a ways to get to the shows so we would go the night before, which just added a bit more fun to the mix.

Both DD and I thought it was a great experience and she is looking forward to doing it again this year.

I showed with KnK's daughter, and our high school team was Reserve National Champions. PM me if you want to know anything else. =]
    Sarah A. Ward

Washington and Lee University Riding

IEA is a great program. My DD really enjoyed her years doing it. Nationals is an absolutely wonderful experience. It is a great deal like IHSA, with a little more warmup provided and somewhat lower fence heights. The quality of the horses varies from show to show but all were suitable and safe mounts at the levels they were used. It was a great opportunity to experience a team envirnoment in what is usually an individual sport.

If I hadf any criticism it would be things that IEA cannot change - the show days are long (particularly since the riders are there all day to support the entire team) and in our region cold. It is difficult to balance a serious individual show schedule with the IEA requirements, particularly if you travel or are trying to qualify for national of regional finals.

Thanks for the responses. My daughter's barn has an established team and they have been very successful. We stay pretty local for individual showing so I am hoping the balance of the two show schedules is as easy as I am anticipating. She is very excited to give it a try!

Anyone else?
    Drop the drama and ride!