The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feed help for good muscle development

I have recently purchased a BIG dutch mare that I have high hopes for....BUT she has been a broodmare for the most of her life(she is 6yrs old) and has NO muscle whatsoever! No topline at all. Yes, I have her in a program...she is up tp 5 days of work now. Focusing mainly on developing her correctly. She is currently eating Cool Command and 2lbs of Empower...along with Pure Lysine and Platinum vitamins...all the hay(alf.grass mix) and grass she can eat. Any suggestions on a different grain for her...?

Skip the pure Lysine and go for the Tri-Amino by Uckele. I've got 4 horses on the pure Lysine right now and 2 on the Tri-Amino. They've been on it for a month and none of them are in work. The two on Tri-Amino, even without work, are really developing nice toplines now. Once I run out of Lysine I'm going to put them all on the Tri-Amino. I had one that had a tremendous grass belly and it's lifting nicely now. They have just now gotten up to the full amount too since they didn't like it at first. I started with 1/4 scoop and every week went up another 1/4 scoop. So, it's not like they've even been on the recommended dose for long and I've still seen a difference.

Default Another vote for Tri-Amino

I bought an OTTB in February, underweight with NO topline. I put him on TizWiz and rice bran, and while it helped with his wieght, I wasn't gettting results like I'd hoped for. I put him on Tri-Amino and noticed a difference right away.

Another thing to consider is a round of Omeprazole for ulcers, that could be contributing to lack of muscle tone. I'd try that if your good feed and Tri Amino weren't working.

I will give the Tri Amino a try...thanks!

Where can I get it??

Quote Originally Posted by BKDressage View Post
    Where can I get it??

www.uckele.com is the company that sells it but their shipping is HIGH. If you do a search for 'Tri-Amino' on here, look for a thread about Progressive Top-Line or something like that. At the end of that thread, somebody posted a link for another company that carried it that was a little bit cheaper on shipping ($9 vs. $11)

I have done some research and I think I am going to try the Vitality mare and foal plus the tri amino ...???

I have seen big improvements in toplines and general overall condition with Pennfield Fibergized.