The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best way to sell a great GP jumper prospect?

I've got a horse that is going to be a great GP jumper, and I'm trying to get together a list of GP jumper riders anwhere around the Carolinas, or anywhere in the east/southeast really, that might be interested in this horse. Can anyone reccommend some? Or is there somewhere I can find a list of top jumper riders and their contact infos? Thanks!

How old is the horse? Is it jumping/showing at all yet? If I had to send a prospect anywhere to be sold I would send him/her to Joe Fargis. He does a wonderful job bringing up talented young horses through the young jumpers. He's based in VA but goes to FLA for some of WEF every year in the winter. PM me if you would like his contact information.

yes, get someone good to take the horse to WEF

you might get in touch with Katie Prudent, she is in VA and then WEF. If you cant find contact info for her, PM me.

do you mind if I ask the breeding on your cool looking selle francais gray gelding "High Profile"? I want to breed one just like him! Thanks!
    Last edited by omare; Aug. 26, 2009 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    do you mind if I ask the breeding on your cool looking selle francais gray gelding "High Profile"? I want to breed one just like him! Thanks!

He he, that's the horse that I'm talking about. This horse is an incredible jumper, and very careful, and although I bought him to be an event horse, I'm afraid that my bad back is not going to let me get him to his potential. And I know the hunter/jumper world pays top money for top level prospects.

His sire is Un Beerianiase (sp?), and he's out of a TB mare.

I really don't have the money to send him somewhere for any length of time, but the WEF is a good idea. When does it start up?

He looks very cool-- His sire is a wonderful stallion and seems to have crossed well with the thoroughbred -- Good luck with your boy - he certainly looks to have the size and jump!

January 13th is the opening day. Try talking to Alan Korotkin at Castlewood Farms. They buy/sell/train/show grand prix horses and prospects and might be able to help.

Sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Individualblue07 View Post
    January 13th is the opening day. Try talking to Alan Korotkin at Castlewood Farms. They buy/sell/train/show grand prix horses and prospects and might be able to help.

I'm assuming he's in Wellington?

Thanks everyone for your responses.

yep. He has a barn within 10 minutes of WEF and also travels to vermont every summer as well as all the other major finals/shows on the east coast.

How about trying Harold Chopping in Southern Pines? Fantastic rider and close to you.

Another good idea. I didn't even realize that Harold Chopping was in NC! Thanks!

Good luck to the opening poster (OP), I hope your horse is for real and that you find someone good to bring the horse along as I root for people to actually find a diamond in the rough.

What I say next is not meaning to flame you, but just note some of the reality out there.

I wish I had a nickel for everytime I was told about a great "grand prix prospect", sure to become a great grand prix horse, that the owner wanted someone to take and sell but didn't have much money for expenses...

At least half the time the owner who's sure he has the next great grand prix horse which you should feel happy to carry on your dime (or your multiple thousands of dollars) has watched less than 20 real deal GPs in his/her life and probably never ridden competitively in the jumpers in any real division, has never sat on real scope, and doesn't understand what careful actually means in the jumpers at real shows. And half the time (not necessarily the same half) the horse has barely ever even been 'off the farm' to date.

Oh boy, let me throw money at you! Just dying to buy him a stall in Wellington for the season!

Again, "you" is not a reference to the OP, I don't know him/her or his/her horse.
    Last edited by JprAO; Aug. 28, 2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: left out a word

I never got the sense that the OP was looking for a consignment barn that would work a deal and as she appears to be professional I am sure she has been made those same type of "offers" about "rolex" prospects herself in the parallel universe of eventerland!

I think he looks really cool and a horse far enough along that a jumper professional can hopeful fairly assess his value and get sold reasonbly quickly for her before the professional has run up huge bills (the other side of the coin so to speak. ;-}.)

good luck with him!

PM'd you.

Sorry Omare if there's any misunderstanding, that's why I started and ended with "not referencing the OP or his/her horse" and "good luck to the OP...rooting for people to find the diamond in the rough".

My post was just explaining a little about how many people that don't have the experience are sure they've got the real deal and you should be honored to get the opportunity to work with it and sometimes even the opportunity to spend your own money. Purely anecdotal, but I would say 80% of these "great grand prix prospects" have the scope for the Child/AA or at most the Low JR/AOs, usually without the carefulness needed to win at those levels. Again, not referring to the OP's horse, hope it's all he/she thinks it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by JprAO View Post
    and doesn't understand what careful actually means in the jumpers at real shows.
    I know you weren't talking about me but....

What a strange comment. Careful is a pretty easy word to define, and it's meaning doesn't change based on the type of show you go to. It means the horse hates to touch the rails.

And trust me this horse has more than enough scope for GP. He free jumps a 5' high 6' wide oxer in a tiny indoor, clearing it by 2 feet - effortlessly, from any spot.

So believe me, I know what "scope" and "careful" are.

Thanks again omare.
    Last edited by lstevenson; Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:18 PM.

OP, I was in your shoes last year. I had a very nice mare, that was not cut for eventing, but everytime, I would say that she was Grand Prix material, people would not take me seriously because I was an eventer.

I sent her to a sale barn for 3 months and they were always finding excuses about she is not this enough, she is not that enough.

Well, I got fed up, I got her back, took her to Wellington, booked a lesson with an Olympic rider and she was sold to one of her clients within a week !!!!

So, go to the best of the best and if the horse is what you think he is, doors will open.

Here is why I thought she would be more suited for the jumpers than Eventing (the fence is actually 2'6 ... but the grass is tall !!!).
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...49564366GWVntJ
    Call me a whimp but I didn't see myself riding a big log into the water with a horse jumping like that !

Quote Originally Posted by mademoiselle View Post
    Well, I got fed up, I got her back, took her to Wellington, booked a lesson with an Olympic rider and she was sold to one of her clients within a week !!!!

Can I ask who you went to?

I get what JprAO was trying to say and she was clearly not trying to insult, though you obviously took it that way.

Your horse definitely might be the real deal (hope he is) but being able to jump one really big fence is not at all indicative of grand prix talent. Lots of horses have the scope and carefullness to do that. Having the rideability to get around a big course as well as the heart, talent, and scope to stay careful over 14 jumps - not just one - that's the test. That's why most g.p. riders are unimpressed with free jumping videos. The horse who looks best through a chute is definitely not necessarily the best one to be ridden around a course.

As a professional, I'm sure you know all this.