The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I killed it! \o/

One of those darn B-52s came to visit today. I was chatting with a friend, and zzzzzzzz....it landed on her, landed on her horse, zipped round and round, flew over the barn, came back again.

Then it landed on the hood of her car.

I raised an eyebrow at her, and she nodded.

I had a gel-pad in my hand. WHACK! SPLAT!

It made a great hood ornament.

(ETA: had to add my fave emoticon of the week to the title: \o/ )
    Last edited by twofatponies; Aug. 25, 2009 at 09:06 PM.

Excellent! I was at the beach all last week and there were HORRIBLE horseflies. My poor big dog came running back to me whining and pawing at his face - he had blood running down his nose from one of the b@st@rds.

Kill 'em all!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Yay! I slammed one in the window of the barn today. It landed on the window sill, I slammed the window shut. Ha!
    Then I left it's corpse hanging half out of the window...as a warning to all other B52s.
    Vet came today for floating/shots/etc and got a laugh out of my dead B52 display.
    And it's all my fault that one was even around. I mentioned on a thread just recently that I hadn't seen any yet this year. Major jinx.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Good for you, if another comes by, kill it for my pony who was bombed today while trainer was working with her - said awful dinosaurus rexus blood thirsty fly hit pony on the neck and then somehow got lodged under saddle pad right at the front of the saddle and poor ponykins lost her mind - went into full bucking, squealing mode and when saddle was removed, there was a large bloody welt under the saddle pad.

Felt so bad for pony. Pony was hosed, had some baking soda and water applied, then rinsed and still has a huge plum size welt on her. No work tomorrow at all.

My girls were out playing in our back pasture last week. One got my younger daughters pony on the belly. She went into a bucking fit, then fell flat on her gut to get the thing off! My daughter somehow managed to stay on, but it was a close one!
    Tonight I got two of them right on our other ponies back side. It never ceases to amaze me how those horses don't move a muscle when you are wacking the pesky flies off of them. I guess they know your trying to help

I had to smack one off my horse's butt as she was bucking next to me! I HATE THEM!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

I hate those things! Today I had Sam on crossties and was grooming him when he suddenly swung his butt around toward me, stomping on my foot, tail lashing angrily. Despite having just sprayed him, I looked for flies but didn't see any; assumed he was being a butthead. Then he did it again. I looked for flies; none. Went to the other side and he swung his butt out at me again--and then I saw the B-52 attached to the top of his tailbone. Poor pony, here I was getting mad at him for threatening to kick me, and he was restraining himself enough to beg me to kill it for him.

I am generally a pacifist and lover of all things, but I wish slow death and dismemberment to all horseflies.

What astonished me was yesterday when this same* B-52 chased two of the mares into the shed. One actually turned around and tried to bite it with her teeth - I've never seen a mature horse flexible enough to touch her tailbone with her nose!!!

These flies like to land exactly on that spot, don't they.

* I say "same" because that way I killed that exact one, and it was the only one for miles around and we won't see another one this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by twofatponies View Post

* I say "same" because that way I killed that exact one, and it was the only one for miles around and we won't see another one this summer.
    Sure, keep telling yourself that... d;

I drenched my poor horse's tailbone in two kinds of fly spray and put Swat on it to boot. It may not deter them, but at least it'll make biting there unpleasant and hopefully lethal...

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

it must be their time to emerge, as I killed one today too! Unfortunately the pony whose butt it landed on didnt think I was helping him out right at that moment....poor fella.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Shut up. I hate hate hate hate HATE those! Sometimes, if they are buzzing near my horse when we are riding, we try to "outrun" it.
    Horsey Stick Art clique
    Crayolaposse~ SparklyLime
    PPP Grand-Poobah

The ba$!@rds are out. I killed one on Whoasies butt today and left it there as a sign to its friends. Not sure she appreciated that - she is a lady, after all - but it felt right.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Check out this unpleasant data:

Blood loss can be significant. In a USDA Bulletin 1218, Webb and Wells estimated that horse flies would consume 1 cc of blood for their meal, and they calculated that 20 to 30 flies feeding for 6 hours would take 20 teaspoons. This would amount to one quart of blood in 10 days.

from U of K college of agriculture entymology article: http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef511.asp

There was one on my Clydesdale today and that fly was so big, I just couldn't believe it. I had to take a picture of it.

Take a look:
    http://www.ananova.com/images/web/1514123.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GilbertsCreeksideAcres View Post
    There was one on my Clydesdale today and that fly was so big, I just couldn't believe it. I had to take a picture of it.

Take a look:
    http://www.ananova.com/images/web/1514123.jpg
    You'd have to hit that one with a phone book to kill it !

I've killed about half a dozen this past week. I thought I killed one today. Hit it hard and it laid on the ground for about a minute in front of the trough where the horse was drinking. I couldn't get to it to squish it and it managed to right itself and fly off.

I try to stomp on them but this one out-smarted me.

I just ordered fly sheets from Big Dee's. They have some on sale for $ 10. They are not for turn-out.
    Came in today. They are fab! Took horses out to graze around the yard and those pesty B-52's were all confused.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

(ETA: had to add my fave emoticon of the week to the title: \o/ )
    \o/....beauty
    * <-- RR Certified Gold Star {) <-- RR Golden Croissant Award
    Training Tip of the Day: If you can’t beat your best competitor, buy his horse.
    NO! What was the question?

These creatures are the DEVIL!!!!

I take personal, visceral pleasure in murdering them; I only wish I could provide more *torture* beforehand, so that they would suffer as much as do the horses they feast on.

I am an animal lover to the max, but these pieces of shit are disgusting and cruel predators (and yes--they "rebound" when you smack them, dammit, and you have to be quick with a "crushing foot" to destory them before they "shake it off" and take to the air again, swooping and divebombing.)

Please God, is there ANY WAY to create a potion of some kind that will actually DETER (since they are apparently are impervious to anything but Quentin Tarantino methods of dispatching them) these villanous single-minded missiles of pain and misery?! (They laugh at fly spray, and have actually bitten THROUGH my mare's very sturdy Rambo fly sheet.)

My BM is sufficiently brave (or crazy) to SQUASH THEM WITH HER BARE HANDS! Her rationale? "They hurt the things I love." Good for her, I say--though Yuck! She says she derives satisfaction from hearing them "pop" when she crushes them to death.
    I could never do this (I just whack them, and if I manage to stun them so that they fall to the ground, I crush them under my boot, while cackling maniacally), but I give her major kudos. I would be afraid that they would bite ME while I was crushing them! (And their bites are excruciating! Poor horses. )

eventmom is right: horses are pretty smart about this, and all my horses have KNOWN that if *I* am there with them, they will be protected--they patiently wait for me to kill (or at least chase away) the monsters. WHACK AND SMACK AWAY, they say!

The ONLY upside is that the Horsefly season is realtively short, and we should be rid of these monstrosities by the end of Sept., thank heavens!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Love the emoticon! And, I am SO glad I live here in the drippy PNW, where no such flying devils live. Your horror stories are enough to convince me that 8 months of gray, wet, algae producing weather is a fair trade. The worst we get are the occasional deer fly--ouchy, and voracious, vicious yellow jackets. Hardly a comparison.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!