The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts on Passier Hannover?

In my endless quest to find a saddle that fits Sam, I remembered a fellow boarder's saddle--her mom found it on the sidewalk with the trash in NYC and gave it to her. It didn't fit either of her horses and she never really rides anyway, so it's been sitting around at the bottom of a heap of junk in the darkest corner of the tack room for a good two years. I remember trying it on Sam when I first got him and thinking it was a good fit.

So I hauled it out today and wiped a million million mold spores off of it (it was literally green) and voila, a nice, clean, intact Passier Hannover was revealed. In my size. In a wide tree. Seems to fit my pony well. So I think I may make her an offer.

It does seem to be an a/p though and I was really looking more for a close contact... I don't necessarily like all the padding and so on, I like being forced to work a little, but it's also not like I ever intend to go jumping anything taller than maybe 2'3". Anyone have any experiences with this saddle, pro or con? I've never ridden in any Passier; I'll probably get a chance to ride in it before I offer, but I'm more interested in how it fits my horse, so I'd just like to hear how others like it. (:

(Also unearthed a decent old Crosby! It was like a moldy, smelly, tack room version of "Antiques Roadshow.")

They are not the most fashionable any more, but I still have mine that is 30 years old and it seems to fit almost anyone. I have a long leg hip-to-knee and mine doesn't let me really get my stirrups short enough for serious jump work, but it's great for hacking and hunting.

They are well made, quality saddles although no longer in fashion but IMO fashion is not important if it fits both of you. What I do remember about any Passier saddles I ever rode in was that the seat was as hard as a brick.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Hanover is where they are made. You can find out the model from the S/N if it's intact enough to read. If you just email Passier they will tell you date of birth ( mfg) and model, size etc.

I don't think you can beat Passier for position. Not too *much* help, but *lets* you find the right spot.

Does it have knee pads and knee rolls under? Some of the Passiers are true CC jumping saddles. They had plain flaps and pencil rolls LONG before it was popular. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, Passier and Hermes were the precursers to PDNs, and the rest of us showed hunters in Stubben Siegfrieds (with the light tan suede that showed every stain/drip/raindrop) and Rossi Carusos.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

LOL, curious to try the seat--but it's not like my old Crosby was soft and cushy either, so I guess I'll live. (:

I'm not too worried about fashion, I probably won't ever do more than a couple rated shows if any... and besides, I'd have to have a small fortune to really try to follow what is in or out of style in the hunter world!

I have a Passier Precision and I LOVE it. Close contact.

To me, the seat is REALLY, REALLY comfortable. Yes, if you tap it with your fist unmounted it does seem a bit hard – but once you ride it in, super comfy. YMWV. I trial rode a very cushy Pessoa at the same time I had the Passier on trial and hated the cushy Pessoa seat – so probably just one of those individual preferences thing.

Anyway, my trainer remarked on what a great position it puts me in and how well it fits my horse this summer. Doesn’t tip you forward, etc. The leather has been great and to me, it is just as nice as anything else out there. I have heard mixed reviews on the wool flocking, but mine seems to be holding up well (2+ years of use). I have a long knee/hip and needed a forward flap in the Bates I had before this saddle and it fits me very well. Love the cut back at the wither as well.

Can’t believe someone would put one out in the garbage!!

Passier saddles are possibly the best made saddles available. They are hand made with lots of different overlapping bits of leather, of different weights an thicknesses, on a spring tree. To see a saddle opened up is an eyeopener. Each one is serial numbered. E-mail Passier and they will tell you when it was made within about a day.

I have had two A/P's each one took abuse weekly hunting and being soaked every
    saturday from either our west coast rain or going in the Fraser River after hounds - our Master has one the same - they come back good as new if allowed to dry slowly.

With mine, I found my leg position was not as good as in a Crosby GPA, but the GPA was not as well built as the Passier so I switched back. The leather on the GPA would have been ruined.

We now have a Passier GG - those saddles fit anything it seems and last for e.v.e.r.

When I was much younger I found the old Passiers to be hard as a rock too. Now, I LOVE them!!! I have the Antares (dressage) and the Precision cc but have also tried some older ones while searching for another one to have fitted to my young horses.

They 'allow' you to be in the correct seat/balance.

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post

Does it have knee pads and knee rolls under? Some of the Passiers are true CC jumping saddles. They had plain flaps and pencil rolls LONG before it was popular.
    It's got the plain flap--I don't really know the difference between pencil rolls and other kinds of knee rolls, but it's got some sort of roll there. (:

Thanks for all the help, everybody... will give it a spin tomorrow and see what my trainer thinks of it, and then I'll probably make an offer. I can't believe someone threw it out either--I can't see/feel/hear any evidence at all that the tree is damaged, the stuffing looks good and even, and while it's got some scuffs and scrapes on the cantle, it's really not in bad shape at all. It was out with the trash around the same time Claremont closed in NYC, so my only guess is that someone decided they weren't going to be riding anymore and didn't care to sell it... one man's trash!