The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clinicians: Bernie Traurig?

Anyone done a clinic with him? Is it worth the money? I'm still on the fence, so any input is appreciated!

Never heard a clinic, but know him well, and have listened to him teach. He is classicly trained and very talented. He has a dry sense of humor. He has been a winner on hunters, jumpers and dressage. He knows his stuff. I'd do it in a heart beat!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

I don't think that I can be of much help, but I rode with Bernie back in the late 80s. The clinic was a blast and he was very helpful with my little half-appy childrens hunter. I seem to remember my trainer bringing back some of his exercises and using them from time to time (which he only did when the clinician was a good one).

But I was maybe 10 or 11 years old and certainly don't remember any details. With that being said, I also don't remember disliking the clinic or thinking that it was a waste of time.

There is a youtube video of one of his clinics. About 10 mins. Very good, basic stuff.

- C

"Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I've done one with him and while he was a nice guy and for sure very talented/knowledgeable I probably wouldn't spend money on riding in another one although I would audit.

He didn't really offer me any help/critique which I suppose is flattering in a clinic but when you're paying for his advice/wisdom it was kind of frustrating just getting a 'good job' and then moving on to the next horse.

I watched him with everyone else and he was really helpful/insightful with them and since most of them were much better riders then myself on more experienced horses I'm still not quite sure why he was so closed mouth toward me. I did learn a lot by listening to what he told them so it wasn't wasted money by any means.

I LOVED the three stride turn excercise he had us do. It really helped me be more confident in jump offs.

I audited a clinic Bernie gave about 8 years ago - very informative! It appeared that all the students progressed well over the clinic's sessions, and were jumping some very complicated stuff by the end. And it looked like all were having fun. I felt jealous that I was only 'watching.'

He picked one horse out of the group to ride to demonstrate a point he was making - and wowzer, the horse majically changed from flighty to fantastic.

I rode in a clinic with him about 10 years ago. It was pretty good. Unfortunately a lot of the riders and horses were not at the level that he was expecting... so he was a little grumpy, but he was pretty helpful. I recall that he focused on the rein aids on the flat which was really interesting... he also rode my horse which was pretty cool.

I rode in one of his two day clinics about 4yrs ago. I thought it was well worth the time and money then. We did spend quite a bit of time working on canter poles and three stride turns. Good classic, basic stuff that I really benefit from. Second day we did some course work and bigger jumps.

You don't say in your post what the clinic fee is so I really can't answer in terms of today if it is worth the $.

It was for me and my horse 4 yrs ago and I think at the time it was somthing like $450.00.

Default Sorry, been MIA

But thanks for all the input! I'm checking into open spots that are left for the end of Sept. The clinic is $325 for 2 days, so as far as clinics go pretty decent price. Hopefully I'll be able to do it - I benefited a ton from GM, and I've read Bernie is really technical too, so seems to be my style.