The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Swollen Leg, can a horse have cellulitus with no symptoms? *Update* it is Cellulitus!

Before any one asks the vet will be coming out tomorrow.

So, Saturday Miss Mare came in from turnout aparently fine but by the afternoon (apx 3:00) her RH leg from her hock to her fetlock has blown up. Not ridiculously huge but it was about as thick as her fetlock is normally. I asked my BO an BM their opinions and they thought that it was due to the light bit of fungus on that leg (Sensetive TB skin ) and I agreed that it seemed like the most likely thing since she was moving ok and there were no visible cuts or marks. I lightly scrubed it with equss microtek and cold hosed it.

So turned her out like usual that night and come in Sunday morning it still hasn't gone down. When jogged she was very obviously uncomfortable on that leg but I am not sure whether or not that is due to pain or just being uncomfortable with her leg swollen twice it's usual side. Since she still seems comfortable and it doesn't seem life threatening I didn't feel it needed a weekend vet visit so I sweat wrapped for the day (furazone, plastic wrap, standing wraps) and took them off that evening before turnout. The swelling seemed to go down and drop a little bit but not much.

This morning nothing has changed, cold hosed it again and called the vet. I'd done everything I know to do so I figured it was time to get a professional in to help figure this out.

Has anyone else had this happen? If it is from the rain rot what is the mostly treatment the vet will give?

Thanks!
    Last edited by *JumpIt*; Aug. 25, 2009 at 06:10 PM.
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

SMZ pills

I would be worried about cellulitis/ lymphangitis, in which case the treatment is IV tetracycline, bute and dexamethasone.

Sounds a lot like it could be a case of cellulitis.

What's the horse temp? When it's over 102 I like to have my horses seen by the vet right away.

If it's cellulitis the Vet will probably put the horse on antibiotics.
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

We had a similar situation a couple of years ago while in UT.

Horses (Font Right) leg was blown up like a tree trunk. Initial thoughts were splint fracture and cellulitis. He was never lame per say but seemed uncomfortable from the edema.

Vet did x-rays and ruled out both possibilities. DMSO and wrapping ensued. After five weeks of following vets orders and three sets of x-rays, we swapped vets. His leg would still swell back up within two hours of removing wraps. (The old vet also tried to diagnose our other horse (also a TB) with navicular... ended up being a VERY slight suspensory pull)

The new vet who was a lameness expert (we were VERY new to the area) as opposed to the old vet who only wanted to be a repro vet quickly re-ruled out a fracture and celulitis. He had us treat with a poultice of Magnapaste and a wrap for 24 hrs. Removed the wrap and his leg never blew up again. We never got a diagnosis per say, but the problem went a way and never returned.
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

Default Magna Paste

What is this ? I am wondering if it is Epsom Salt Poultice?
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    What is this ? I am wondering if it is Epsom Salt Poultice?
    As the link said, it's epson salt based. it's GREAT for removing swelling.
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

I was reading up on cellulitus, since I've never dealt with it before, and it doesn't seem likey. My mare is nearly sound and I think should would be if it weren't for the swelling, the leg doesn't hurt to the touch or at all that I can tell, she is eating fine, and she has plenty of energy actually trotted up to me at the gate this morning for breakfast.

Can a horse have cellulitus without any other symptoms accept a swollen leg?

!! is the new .

Sounds like cellulitis to me.... cellulitis can certainly vary in severity so even though she's not 3 legged lame and sore I'd still call the vet and see if they want to treat it as such.

IV antibiotics, cold hosing, walking, wrapping.

I've seen cellulitis/lymphangitis from scratches become an ugly chronic problem so I certainly would not let it go.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Yes, different causes can present in various ways. Not always easy to figure out what happened originally to cause it, but could be many things that would be considered normal (i.e. pasture injury, stall injury).

I've been told that you can have cellulitis without having an actual break in the skin. My pony is just recovering from it. He DID have a very small break in the skin that I couldn'y detect at the time of initial discovery of wound that started it. It did turn out that the origin of the wound swelled more later (days after initial discovery and beginning of treatment) and only then could the break in the skin be detected. It was a hard swelling on the front of the cannon bone ... most likely a strong blow from a shod hoof. It presented itself as a hard knot on the front of the cannon (hind). Pony wasn't lame, no pain, no heat, I thought there was not cut so it would be fine. About five days later, pony had soft swelling in hind leg over and around tendons and ligaments from hock to fetlock, no heat, not lame, still had original hard knot on front of cannon. Called the vet immediately.

Once the pony was on steroids and antibiotics, soft swelling went all the way down within twelve hours. The 'knot' remained hard and raised. It was days before that began to reduce in size and then the cut/crush line became more obvious .... as in I could see where there was a break in the hair that looked like a slice, in the hair only, NOT in the skin .... there never was any blood or edema oozing out of any area on the 'knot'. It looked like a straight inch and a half "line" (as in a cut) in the hair, but not the skin. My guess is that it was a severe crush of the skin at the point of impact of a kick with a steel shoe. The skin was probably severely crushed, resulting in dying (skin) tissue but without actually breaking the surface of the skin where fluids (blood, edema) would be present to the touch or visually.

So, your mare could have it.

Could be that a thorn or splinter got in somewhere and is causing a problem/infection and the origin of the wound has healed over, covering up what started the whole thing.

Could be a tendon or ligament injury that isn't presenting lameness.

ETA: what I later ended up calling/describing as a break in the skin was actually some kind of crushed and dying skin ... something that, technically, I would not consider to be an actual cut but that developed into a disruption of the skin barrier by damaged and disfunctioning cells.
    Last edited by BaroquePony; Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:29 PM.

Absolutely - cellulitis without all the symptoms happens quite a bit. It has to start somehow definately time for the vet, or maybe you could just call, describe what is going on and get some antiobiotics for it? Depends on your relationship w/your vet.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Question

Not sure if your mare has what mine does or not, but same thing in the sense that she has an enormous leg.....been that way for over 6 yrs, cold to the touch, no pain, no heat, no lameness....just simply a fat leg. She's rideable and has had 5 foals and doesn't seem to be affected by it at all. SHe was fine in Germany and only a short while after being imported did she start with the swelling and it never went away

Here are some photos of her:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...cypregtrot.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../Fancypreg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkridge View Post
    Not sure if your mare has what mine does or not, but same thing in the sense that she has an enormous leg.....been that way for over 6 yrs, cold to the touch, no pain, no heat, no lameness....just simply a fat leg. She's rideable and has had 5 foals and doesn't seem to be affected by it at all. SHe was fine in Germany and only a short while after being imported did she start with the swelling and it never went away

Here are some photos of her:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...cypregtrot.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../Fancypreg.jpg
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by *JumpIt* View Post
    I was reading up on cellulitus, since I've never dealt with it before, and it doesn't seem likey. My mare is nearly sound and I think should would be if it weren't for the swelling, the leg doesn't hurt to the touch or at all that I can tell, she is eating fine, and she has plenty of energy actually trotted up to me at the gate this morning for breakfast.

Yes, it can be still, even w/o lameness or heat. Take her temp asap and have your vet out to be sure. My old gelding looked a bit colicky last year when I was feeding breakfast (pawing, looking upset), so I called the vet. While the vet was on his way out, I got him out and was horrified to see one of his hind legs looked HUGE. Once the vet got there, we took his temp and it was 104!!! He wasn't colicky at all, he had been pawing because his leg was bugging him so much. We shaved his leg and wrapped it all the way up to his stifle, then he was put on MASSIVE amounts of antibiotics and I think some kind of steroid (he had 2 injections, 2x a day for 2 weeks), plus aspirin every other day, bute 2x a day for the first 2 days and I think some banamine + ulcerguard as well for the first 2 days. Then lots of cold hosing, hand walking and wrapping. By the next day, his leg was so swollen that it was touching his other back leg all the way up to his butt-cheeks, it even started springing multiple leaks of draining fluid - yuk! It started going down the day after that, but he was never lame on it (just couldn't bend it as much as normal bc of the swelling) and he wasn't ever bothered by us touching it, even at it's worst. Once we got some antibiotics and banamine in him at the very beginning, he was totally peppy, ate fine and acted very normal, even when it was super swollen.

We never really knew what caused this, but the aggressive treatment worked, his leg went down and he hasn't (knock wood) had any issues w/ it since. The vet said that if we hadn't jumped on things super fast it could have stayed that way, or have become an ocassionally re-occuring problem for the rest of his life.
    Last edited by Blacktree; Aug. 25, 2009 at 03:47 PM.
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

Hawkridge - her leg hasn't been anywhere near that size.

Vet came out and diagnosed it as a mild case of cellulitus. He said he's been seeing a lot of it lately due to the wet heat here and every coming up with fungus. She got 2 shots of Cortizone and I've been told give her 1g bute AM and PM and cold hose it 2x per day til it goes down. He said it should be down by this weekend and if not to call him. He said there looked to be no real damage done to the leg.

Thanks everyone! It turns out coth was right.

!! is the new .