The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Farrier in northern Balto County, MD?

Looking for a GOOD farrier who will travel to northern Baltimore County, Maryland. Prefer CJF if possible, someone with experience shoeing event horses and TBs a definite bonus. Current farrier is fabulous with feet, but sucks at customer service. Would love a farrier who will schedule my horse in advance and will return phone calls promptly (I know, a tall order, but I can dream, can't I?). My horse has great feet and great manners, no special needs beyond drill & tap, and I'm a good payer.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know who you've used, or exactly how far they'd travel, but what about:

Brian Purrington - 443-564-0231

Liam Straton - 410-913-3824

Not sure if he goes that far, but Andrew Grimm (google for his Web site). Not only does he come on time, he schedules via e-mail and also corresponds via e-mail to confer on horsie's feet. Really nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Toomanycats View Post
    Looking for a GOOD farrier who will travel to northern Baltimore County, Maryland. Prefer CJF if possible, someone with experience shoeing event horses and TBs a definite bonus. Current farrier is fabulous with feet, but sucks at customer service. Would love a farrier who will schedule my horse in advance and will return phone calls promptly (I know, a tall order, but I can dream, can't I?). My horse has great feet and great manners, no special needs beyond drill & tap, and I'm a good payer.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Chris Diehl is in your area.
    717 428 1044 or 717 855 0776
    He is a CF, lives in southern PA.

Chris has experience with TB's from foal on up...

I do serve your area but typically with event horses it is best to have someone as close as possible to service the account. I am probably about 45-60 min away.

I don't know if Liam or Andrew travel your way but of the two I think Liam is closer. Andrew is closer to Fredrick. Both good guys.

Richard Mercer is in Keymar.
    301 712 6294 also a CF.

If I can be of any help feel free to contact me.

I am a CF working on my CJF.

Regards,
    Last edited by Brian Purrington; Aug. 25, 2009 at 07:15 PM.
    Brian Purrington, Farrier
    443-564-0231 wellshodhorses@yahoo.com

Chris Diehl does southern York County and Northern Baltimore County. He is a certified journeyman, I believe the only one in that area. He is so serious in his efforts and takes enormous pride in his work. He is very reliable and leaves with an appointment set up for the future. In addition, he obviously loves what he does and is more knowledgable about horses hooves and lower leg anatomy than any farrier I have ever met. He has a website.

I would second the Chris Diehl recc- he is extremely knowleagble, has superior customer service (he almost always responds to calls/messages within an hour, if not sooner) and really takes time to consider the individual needs of every horse. Slightly more pricey than a lot of other guys in the area, but then again few others are CJF- his work is well worth every extra penny

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I don't know exactly where you are, but Liam Straton has done great things for my family's horses. He's easy to get ahold of too. I'd definitely give him a call.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I think Chris Chaffman will do that area- he's a younger farrier who worked under RJ Campbell for several years and just recently went out on his own. He is great- he schedules well in advance and shows up on time, is very easy to be around, and does excellent work. Really good guy. 410-596-7801
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

I have heard good things about Chris Chaffman as well.I know of a vet who recommends him and my friend who just started using him has been very impressed so far.

Not sure why someone dredged up my 3 year old thread, but since they did...

I made a huge mistake and kept using the same farrier despite his customer service issues, that whole "better the devil you know" thing. He spent 3 years destroying my horse's feet. I bought him and had perfect feet (really, he had great feet) and wore 4 keg shoes. By the time this butcher got done with him, he was sitting on his heels with toes like skiis, half his hoof wall was rasped off, he barely made it 4 weeks between shoeings and he was in $100+ front shoes to correct the problems this idiot was causing. My horse needed coffin joints injected, was constantly abscessing and and was barely staying sound. And people I know who also used this farrier had horses with the same soundness issues. I won't name names here, but PM me and I'll tell you who it was and show you some pictures of what he did to my horse's feet. I'll just say he was recently referenced in this thread as training a farrier someone was recommending - and said farrier allowed this apprentice to work on my horse during his training. Enough said.

I am happy to say I found a new farrier in May and he is fabulous. My horse's feet are well on their way to what they were when I bought him and no more foot-related lamenesses. He is even back in regular shoes again. New farrier returns phone calls and keeps his appointments and his prices are reasonable.

I'm still feeling guilty for what I put my horse through for 3 years...

Well, I have done this 4 or 5 times now... I have to start looking at dates! Glad your horse is doing well.