The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ok to feed 8 yo horse senior feed?

Is it okay to feed an 8yo pasture ornament Nutrena Senior? The only other horse is 25+yo pasture ornament and would like to consolodate feed bins.

Well, I have fed horses of all ages Triple Crown Senior and they all did incredibly well on it.

I fed my now 10-yr old OTTB BS Vintage Senior when I got her off the track when she was barely four. She gets a very minimal amount now as she is a very easy keeper. I prefer the extruded senior feeds as they are easier to digest and are very easy to add water to - they make a great "mash".
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

The new little whinnies get a handful of the same TC senior/complete blend I give Paco. Katie only gets a handful too 'cuz she's kinda chunky
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

i feed my 11 year old ottb seminole wellness senior. i love that it has the omega's, ultra bloom, flax and more biotin in it.

the term "senior" is really deceiving as senior feeds are generally higher in fat, and more nutrient dense, thus being the "ideal" feed for older equines that need the higher fat and nutrition to maintain body weight, but if you are faced with a hard keeper individual who is only a 3 yr. old or even a 10 yr. old, a senior feed may be just the feed for them.

We feed TC senior to horses from the age of 2 and up, it's just a very good feed for horses that need higher fat and generally eat higher quanities of feed to maintain them at the ideal body condition. Our minimum recommendation is 5 lb, and we have horses eating just that amount, but on the other end we also have horses eating 15+ lb a day as senior is their sole ration, they have no teeth and are unable to eat hay. We feed a 66 yr. old donkey named Flower who thrives exclusively on TC senior, you can see an article and picture about her on the Triple crown website in the feeding articles section, she is a doll!
    Triple Crown feed fan?
    Join Triple Crown Nutrition, Inc. on facebook at:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...6908807?ref=mf

yes

Blue Seal Senior for our horses from 3 years on....

any horse that is adult and beyond can eat senior. great for emaciated horses but stay away from crap like purina that's loaded with sugar.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I feed all my horses that come off the track for some R&R Seminole Wellness Senior. They love it, its great for their tummies, and it puts weight and shine on them.

Sure! I've been feeding senior to my guy since he was 4 because the only other option at our boarding barn is sweet feed which I will NOT feed. (Sorry I just don't like sweet-I know many do well on it.)
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!