The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bunny food safe for horses? Hear me out!

Ok, hear me out! I've been taking care of two orphan wild rabbits for the past week (mother was killed by the neighbor's cat). I went to the store and picked up some Timothy hay with fruit mixed in (Goji berries, pineapple, papaya, and something else) and also got some Mazuri rabbit pellets for them. These guys are super duper close to leaving the nest to be out on their own. Which leaves me with this little bag of Timothy and fruit and almost all of the 5lb. bag of Rabbit pellets. The rabbit pellets are mostly alfalfa anyway so I wondered if it would be safe to give to the horses (just as a little treat...maybe a handful a day)? I don't see anything in that would be harmful but ya never know.

I'd say no as there just might be something in the bunny food that isn't good for a horse. How about donating it to a local rescue? Lots of animal rescues also wind up taking in domestic rabbits. Package it up in a big ziploc & you can even write off the donation!

Can you list the ingredients on here?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I would say a couple handfuls a day is okay for the horses. If you notice their ears elongating, back off to one handful.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    I would say a couple handfuls a day is okay for the horses. If you notice their ears elongating, back off to one handful.

Here's the list of ingredients and analysis

Ingredients: Dehydrated alfalfa meal, ground soybean hulls, wheat middlings, cane molasses, dehulled soybean meal, ground corn, soybean oil, dicalcium phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, salt, calcium carbonate, dl-methionine, choline chloride, dried yucca shidigera extract, magnesium oxide, vitamin A acetate, folic acid, cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, dl-alpha tocophyeryl Acetate (natural source vitamin E), calcium pantothenate, nicotinic acid, riboflavin, cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12), manganous oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous carbonate, copper sulfate, zinc sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min.) 15.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 2.5%, Crude Fiber (min.) 20.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 24.0%, Calcium (min.) 0.80%, Calcium (max.) 1.30%, Phosphous (min.) 0.50%, Salt (min.) 0.75%, Salt (max.) 1.25%, Vitamin A (min.) 8000 IU/lb., Vitamin E (min.) 20 IU/lb., Ash (max.) 9.0%.

I can't fathom there being something in rabbit food that would hurt a horse. But what do I know.

What about the fruit in the hay? Anything that a horse can't have listed in those fruits?

Quote Originally Posted by jaimebaker View Post

Here's the list of ingredients and analysis

Ingredients: Dehydrated alfalfa meal, ground soybean hulls, wheat middlings, cane molasses, dehulled soybean meal, ground corn, soybean oil, dicalcium phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, salt, calcium carbonate, dl-methionine, choline chloride, dried yucca shidigera extract, magnesium oxide, vitamin A acetate, folic acid, cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, dl-alpha tocophyeryl Acetate (natural source vitamin E), calcium pantothenate, nicotinic acid, riboflavin, cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12), manganous oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous carbonate, copper sulfate, zinc sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min.) 15.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 2.5%, Crude Fiber (min.) 20.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 24.0%, Calcium (min.) 0.80%, Calcium (max.) 1.30%, Phosphous (min.) 0.50%, Salt (min.) 0.75%, Salt (max.) 1.25%, Vitamin A (min.) 8000 IU/lb., Vitamin E (min.) 20 IU/lb., Ash (max.) 9.0%.

I can't fathom there being something in rabbit food that would hurt a horse. But what do I know.

What about the fruit in the hay? Anything that a horse can't have listed in those fruits?
    Not so sure it is always good to just fathom there not being something harmful in it, you know? Could you fathom there being anything in there that might harm a sheep? There is. Copper Sulfate. A cow can take 10 times the amount of copper a sheep can before becoming toxic so therefore a cattle feed could certainly kill a sheep. I don't know how much copper sulfate there is in the rabbit food you have so don't know if it would, but copper is very toxic to sheep. Just using as an example of how easy it could be to feed something that one would assume to be fine and have it not be. This is why feeds are usually animal specific.

No idea about it being good or bad for horses, but it's not very high-quality bunny food. Ground corn isn't very nutrionally healthy for a rabbit, and timothy hay isn't even listed as an ingredient. Molasses is the 4th ingredient, which means there's a lot of it.

Dehydrated alfalfa meal, ground soybean hulls, wheat middlings, cane molasses, dehulled soybean meal, ground corn, soybean oil

Good bunny food:
    http://www.sweetmeadowfarm.com/pel_rabblend2.html
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry