The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buffered asprin??

Okay, this is a stupid question!! I have a Doberman with bad hips that has used Rimadyl.
    I have seen and heard folks talk of using buffered asprin instead. All my asprin around the house doesn't use the word "buffered". I have one that is "coated" and the other is just Bayer Asprin.
    I am out of the Rimadyl and wondered if I can use this (there has been enough time to clear her blood of the Rimadyl)? Anyone use asprin for their dogs???

It's not going to work as well as the rimadyl did. You're better off getting more rimadyl, or trying Deramaxx instead.

Katherine
    Vet tech

My dogs have always taken one Bayer aspirin, the ones that are coated, a day. It has the same benefits for dogs as for humans, i.e., to help prevent strokes and heart attacks.
    When my old Aussie was in heart failure, this really helped her when she had heart attacks.

Our vets quit using Rimadyl for arthritis in dogs many years ago due to liver problems in studies on dogs.

Check with your vet about aspirin. Obviously if your dog has ulcers you may want to use something else, but I found that giving my dogs tagamet tablets 2x a day helped their stomachs also.

I have used asprin on my Dobes with no ill effects.

I have also heard very good things from Second Chance Dobes about this:

http://www.discountpetdrugs.com/glycoflex.html

Haven't tried it but have heard it is great.

Good luck with your Dobie!
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Thanks, we' re already on the Gyco-Flex! too!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

My senior standard poodle gets coated aspirin for her aches and pains too. No ill effects and it was on the vets recommendation. He didn't want to start her on anything stronger until it was necessary.

When I used buffered aspirin for my dogs, I used Bufferin. It was the only one I found that said "buffered".

How much aspirin would a small dog need per day? My oldest CKCS is getting a bit creaky. He's about the same size as a big yorkie- I'll weigh him when I get it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    Coated means the tablet has a coating on it to help protect the stomach.
    This is correct, to a degree. There are different types of coatings. A water-soluble or "Immediate Release" coating will NOT prevent the drug from beginning to dissolve in the stomach. These coatings are used to help enhance swallowability, for brand enhancement recognition and marketability (what do you think of when you hear "the purple pill"), and in some cases help protect the drug from heat/ light/ moisture.

The coating will only protect the stomach if it is a functional coating. If ulcers are an issue, look for a product that indicates it has "enteric protection". This will allow the tablet to pass through the stomach without dissolving, protecting both the stomach and the drug from each other. It will then begin dissolving in the upper GI tract.

Specifically referring to Bayer aspirin products, if you want the enteric protection, look for the products marked "safety coated". If it's not marked "safety coated", then it's just a normal coating and it will begin to dissolve as soon as it hits the stomach.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

My dog east childrens' chewable aspirin and Tums. He likes them. He thinks they are treats.

You should always ask you vet first, not us, but my vets have always said the dosage rule is:

If dog is over 35 pounds, adult dosage.
    If dog is under 35 pounds, children's dosage.

I've never owned a dog under 35 pounds except when they were puppies so my adult dogs get adult dosages of "human" meds such as aspirin and tagamet.

One BO used to feed altoids,???, I think that is the name, to horses. Cloudy would eat them, WBs eat anything, but my TB mare Callie did not eat them.
    Peppermint oil is good for stomachs too.

I have used the enteric coated aspirin for dogs with good results.

I also use coated aspirin with good results. I have tried different joint supplements with not much luck. I did recently buy Missing Link for Dogs - and I think it really might be making a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    You should always ask you vet first, not us, but my vets have always said the dosage rule is:

If dog is over 35 pounds, adult dosage.
    If dog is under 35 pounds, children's dosage.

I've never owned a dog under 35 pounds except when they were puppies so my adult dogs get adult dosages of "human" meds such as aspirin and tagamet.

One BO used to feed altoids,???, I think that is the name, to horses. Cloudy would eat them, WBs eat anything, but my TB mare Callie did not eat them.
    Peppermint oil is good for stomachs too.
    Yep, I'll speak to my vet before I do anything. I was just curious what the dose would be.

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    How much aspirin would a small dog need per day? My oldest CKCS is getting a bit creaky. He's about the same size as a big yorkie- I'll weigh him when I get it.
    Kooki -- I would be very careful in giving aspirin to a CKCS, please check with your vet first. Cav's are prone to heart problems, so I would discuss it with your vet and probably have a full blood panel run first (the usual annual or biannual senior check) to look at liver and kidney function as well. Aspirin may well be recommended for an elderly CKCS, I don't know much in the way of specifics on the type of heart problems that are prevalent in the breed. But, I'd want to know how well the dog is holding up overall beforehand, just in case. But that's JMO.

Personally, I would be hesitant to use even buffered aspirin on a dog daily for an extended period though. It also doesn't relieve pain as well as some of the other medications available, though you always have to weigh side-effects and duration.

Other possible therapies that may help: acupuncture, chiropractic, glucosamine/chondroitin, swimming.

Ascriptin is a brand name for coated aspirin also. That said, my old GSP will get a Bayer aspirin for her now and then stiff joints. She's also on a joint supplement.

Quote Originally Posted by Laytian View Post
    Kooki -- I would be very careful in giving aspirin to a CKCS, please check with your vet first. Cav's are prone to heart problems, so I would discuss it with your vet and probably have a full blood panel run first (the usual annual or biannual senior check) to look at liver and kidney function as well. Aspirin may well be recommended for an elderly CKCS, I don't know much in the way of specifics on the type of heart problems that are prevalent in the breed. But, I'd want to know how well the dog is holding up overall beforehand, just in case. But that's JMO.

Personally, I would be hesitant to use even buffered aspirin on a dog daily for an extended period though. It also doesn't relieve pain as well as some of the other medications available, though you always have to weigh side-effects and duration.

Other possible therapies that may help: acupuncture, chiropractic, glucosamine/chondroitin, swimming.
    Thanks. I'm not going to give him anything before I speak to my vet. I was mostly curious what the dose would be.

Definitely ask your vet, but here's what I've always done for my dog. He rotates between Deramaxx, Rimadyl, Tramadol, and Asprin. To clarify - we rotate him out about every 3 to 4 months for a different drug. He had a nasty car accident that left him with a leg twisted around backward at the hock. It was surgically corrected, but pain management has been first and forefront for this dog for 7 years now. We found that rotating him has given the best result. His last script was for Rimadyl, so this time he's on Deramaxx. Next we will go to either Asprin or Tramadol.

He is 60 pounds, and he receives one 325 mg. asprin per day, when he's on the asprin regiment. The vet told me that buffered/not buffered makes no difference. Give it with food, and he's always been fine.

You don't EVER give asprin WITH any of the other pain medications though.

My dog is also on glucosamine, and a grain free food.

Coated/Enteric coated = the pill does not dissolve until it's past the stomach

Buffered = the pill is mixed with a buffering agent to raise pH in the stomach

Neither mitigates the risk of gastric ulcers entirely, but both are helpful, each in a slightly different way.
    Click here before you buy.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by CB/TB View Post
    Ascriptin is a brand name for coated aspirin also. That said, my old GSP will get a Bayer aspirin for her now and then stiff joints. She's also on a joint supplement.
    I had a dog for years with horrible, horrible hips from a very young age. He had surgery on one, which back then involved removing the ball of the hip. It was not very successful at preventing pain after the first couple of years. Except when he would have an acute attack of pain from overdoing, Ascriptin, which has a coating of Maalox, was his regular daily med. Worked for 14 years.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire