The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default hoof boots

I have had the farrier out AGAIN to reset a lost shoe on my mare who has foundered (2 years ago) , is thin soled, and has shelly hooves. She gets a supplement but this is an on going battle in the sand and water down here.

I am considering a hoof boot. I drive mostly in Competitive Trail but ride in training and hope to actualy ride a 25 this year (bad knees). We have the mileage only option so boots are allowed in that.

I have looked at the Easy Boot Epic and the Glove. My concern is that the gaiter will catch sand and rub her heels. Have any of you ever used these boots ? Have you had problems as such?

I also ran across something called the Renegade boot. It looks like it might be what I am looking for--the way the heel catcher seems to be more open than the gaiters on the easy boots. Has anyone actually seen these boots in action or use them? Comments please.

I liked the old orignal easy boot but there was always a chance of them coming off (int the days before gaiters).

Thanks in advance for your comments or suggestions.

For what it's worth I've had a helluva time keeping the gloves on even in medium trail work on good footing. I put a pair of originals on last weekend. No gaiters, no modifications and rode the hell out of them. XC jumps, FLAT OUT galloping, water hazards and mud. No problems at all.

I think you'll find quite a few Renegade users here... I have them and love them. I tried Gloves but they didn't fit well, and though the folks at Easycare suggested tapping them on with a rubber mallet, at that point I decided to stick with the Renegades (which go on in seconds with no tools other than your hands, and I've had no problems with them staying on). I think alot of boot selection comes down to the shape of your horse's feet, though.

Do a search on "Renegades" and see what you can find.

I tried the Easy Boots and didn't like them or the horses. Very heavy, one would not walk in them and just laid down, the other undid the velcro traps. I cleaned them up returned them and the company would not give me any return of my $369. After 3 weeks I am still trying to get the company to return the boots to me so I can sell them on ebay. Horrible customer service!

I have the easy boot epics and they are OK for walk trot canter on dirt. If you get into sand, it seems to accumulate in the boot. Also when my girl gallops she tends to shred the gaiter and lose the boot- so that has been a problem (even oversized bell boots did not solve that problem). Wish there were a perfect solution. I have not tried the renegades yet.

Quote Originally Posted by FancyASB View Post
    I tried the Easy Boots and didn't like them or the horses. Very heavy, one would not walk in them and just laid down, the other undid the velcro traps. I cleaned them up returned them and the company would not give me any return of my $369. After 3 weeks I am still trying to get the company to return the boots to me so I can sell them on ebay. Horrible customer service!
    Easyboots don't have velcro. You probably mean Old Macs which are heavier than easyboots and velcro all around.

I just got my Easy boot EDGE and i love them, my horse wears 4 and altho they do get muddy, they are easy to clean. The edge makes putting them on so much easier and they stay on. As long as you get the right size. i don't know how they would do in sand.

There are people (boot dealers) who have boot inventories and can measure your horse's feet and try several boot options to see what fits. If you've got a boot dealer near you, that might be your best bet at finding something that will work in your area for your horse.

The only real complaints I've heard about Renegades are that they sometimes come off in mud, and that they squeak on some horses. I've tried to get some at various times, but my horse's don't have the correct shaped feet. I need to try again now that my mare's feet aren't so run forward. I like the design. Since there is a piece that covers the heel, they wouldn't be approved for CTR competition, unless you do Distance Only (which you've said you are willing to do, but it's a shame not to be able to compete in CTR).

I think you can order Renagades with a gel pads that are glued inside at the factory. This is a cool option, since you won't be fussing with pad replacement, pad slippage, or some of the other annoying pad issues. Since your horse is thin soled, you are going to want some sort of pad, and gel pads that last as long as the boot sound ideal.

I've tried a number of other boot styles. Of the Easycare line (www.easycareinc.com), only the Easyboot styles are recommended for distance. You do not want a boot that comes up over the coronet band, as they rub (this puts Old Macs, Boas, and Cavallo Simple Boot out of the running). Plain Easyboots have no gaiter and are approved for CTR. They can used with pads and can be foamed on. If your horse does not overreach, you might be fine with these. I just did 10 energetic miles on my Arab last week, and the boot stayed on just fine. I cut the back down to the sole so there is less to grab.

An Easyboot with a gaiter (wraps around the pastern) becomes an Epic. I will say I've had trouble with the tread in that these boots can be slippery on wet grass. Epics would have to be for the Distance Only option. Some horses do have trouble with gaiters rubbing. Partway through a distance competition is not a good time to find out your horse is one who has trouble. Supposedly, adjusting them so they are snug helps prevent rubbing, but I found that a little breathing room worked best for my horses. It's something you have to try for yourself.

The Bares, Edge, and Gloves offer the low-profile Easyboot style with a different tread pattern that is a little less slippery. The Bares have a bungee closure. I'm not so fond of these, since I had more pulled/ripped gaiters with the bungee. I swapped the bungee out for up clips and had fewer problems.

The closure on the Edge (has a gaiter)seems to be the most solid of the entire line. It's what I would have gone with for my tough-to-keep-booted OTTB if I still had him. If your horse overreaches, this boot is less likely to get pulled off (IMHO). Again, I'd cut the back down to the level of the sole. I do not have trouble with sand/mud/debris when I do this.

I haven't tried the Gloves (with or without a gaiter), but I've heard both good and bad things. My clients who have tried Gloves have all really liked them. They stretch after the first use. If you want to compete in CTR, you can get them without gaiters and glue them on. This is my plan for my mare if the Easyboots don't stay on well. One of the top-ten finishers at the Tevis was wearing glued-on Gloves.

Default Dirt Skirt

Easycare also sells a dirt skirt (http://www.easycareinc.com/IW_Produc...IT?company=EZC) that might help keep sand out.

See? I can be brief sometimes.

Sorry gang I had a senior moment!!!!! What I purchased and returned and still waiting to be returned to me Soft Ride boots. I will still state horrible boots, so heavy and lousy customer service! Easy boots is what I have been looking at, I'll look at the renegade too. - big time senior moment!!!!

I have and use currently: Renegades, Gloves, Epics (old but still work just fine). Previously I had Bares but never cared for them.

One horse uses Renegades all 'round. They are easy to install, do not rub or move around on the right horse, and really do appear to allow the most natural movement. Downside: Deep mud can be a problem...I have had it come off in mud and we had to dig it out. Boots have about 400 miles on them - so far so good. Customer service is great - I just sent a set of 4 back to be spiffed up with fresh hardware and a little repair.

Another uses Gloves all 'round. These, and the Glue-ons that I use for multi-day trips, are very good for this horse. Fit...well, like a Glove. Low profile and easy to install. Never EVER have I had one come off. Potential for rubs by the gaiters, but I haven't had it happen yet. The gaiter has been redesigned - my next batch will have them. Truthfully, in light of their new improved gaiters and cheap price, I will probably switch all horses to Glove sets once the Renegades wear out...

Epics are oldies but goodies - heavier than the newer models, but I've had several for 4 years now, replaced the cables and buckles, and used them just this weekend.

I really have very few booting problems. We're doing about 20-30 miles a week in the Rockies, unforgiving terrain, and the horses are very comfortable. That said, 2 of my riding friends are constantly plagued by boots coming off...I'm not sure what's different for them.

For Competitive Trail, you could go with Glue-ons. I used them most of the Spring on all horses. Now that it is bone-dry Summer I don't feel the need, but I will install them for multi-day competition in October (we're only doing one this year with our greenies).

Sorry gang I had a senior moment!!!!! What I purchased and returned and still waiting to be returned to me Soft Ride boots. I will still state horrible boots, so heavy and lousy customer service! Easy boots is what I have been looking at, I'll look at the renegade too. - big time senior moment!!!!
    Ahh. Mystery explained. Thanks, because I thought maybe I was the one having a senior moment!

I have used Gloves, Glue-ons (Renegade and Easycare) and Renegades. Hands-down, the Gloves are my absolute favorite. I have been testing the new gaiters which are also fantastic and should solve most of the rubbing issues (can't make anything 100% perfect). I have done 3 endurance rides in Gloves (including a multiday) and have done three in glue-ons. I did lose a glue-on but the Adhere didn't set up correctly. It actually lasted longer than I thought it would! Last week I tested the glue-ons with Goober Glue which is softer and although it takes a long time to set up, it was worth it.

I did my season last year in Renegades (approx. 400 miles, plus conditioning miles) and while the Renegades are awesome in the ease of application and no rubbing (for me), they are heavy and clunky my horse gets leg-weary in them. They did last the entire season which is good because they are spendy!

No one boot will work for every horse. I didn't know people actually rode in the SoftRide boots, they are expensive but are amazing for foundered horses. I know Pete Ramey really likes the glue-ons for treating laminitis.

Oh, and I had Renegade add the pad into a pair of my boots this spring. It does make them a bit heavier and changes the way the boot fit. I guess if you plan on ordering them with a pad, go up a size so they fit. The pad, although very thin, does take up some room. It also wears away rather quickly so....

Finally since July 2nd I am getting a refund. I filed a complaint with the Attorney Generals office and was contacted by Soft Ride immediately as soon as I mentioned my complaint!

I have Epic gaiters, they're ok to walk in, but no canter or gallop as the horse overstrides and pulls them off even with bellboots. I keep them for extra's.

I have renegades and liked them alright, my only issue is my horses foot grows so FAST that three to four weeks into his trim and they no longer fit, if you get them too big then they wont stay on. I am going to sell them, if I can't ride in them all stages of his trim they are of no use to me. Frustrating to get to the trail and they wont fit! Thanks goodness I have the above mentioned Epics, but then I can't canter or gallop.

I have a pair of Cavellos and LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Easy to install, not real heavy, water drains great, you do HAVE to get the pasturn wraps to prevent bloody rubs but with them they work great!!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

strange, b/c i have been cantering and galloping in my EDGE boots by Easyboot. Not issues at all.

I think it depends on whether your horse is a habitual over-reacher or not. My previous OTTB (Butch) had very wide feet, and by the time I got the right width for his feet, the boot was too long, which made him break over a bit late. And he overreaches barefoot in the field without a delayed breakover. Ripped gaiters galore. Much aggravation.

I cut out the back of the boot and bought a size smaller gaiter and heel strap so that his toe was right up in the front of the boot. The only time he ripped a gaiter after that mod was when I tried him in Bares and he stepped in deep mud. Front foot was too slow coming out of the mud and hind foot caught it.

Until I modified the boots, it was not fun trying to canter or gallop. Afterwards, we went whatever speed without a problem.

It turns out that original Old Macs fit his hoof shape beautifully without any modification, but he did break the buckle on the outer strap the very first ride. Luckily, that outer strap isn't really necessary. He could W/T/C/G without a problem, except that they are not great for serious mileage. For longer rides, I used the modified Epics.