The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tons of tiny, tiny white bugs inside feed bin

Any clue what these could be?: tiny, (like smaller than a pin head) white bugs that you wouldn't know they were bugs unless you look really close and can barely see them move. If you weren't looking for anything you would never notice.
    They are in white clusters on inside lid of the plastic feed trashcan.
    I share a feed area with elderly farm owner, who regularly leaves lid off... I always go behind him and close, but obviously something has gotten in there....???

Some kind of fly maggot?

yup, if the lid is left off I bet it's fly maggots.

Just last week had 2 bags of Omelene 400 with white larvae, not meal flys but close.
    Trip back to feed store, they had 5 remaining on shelf, open in store and it looked like you had opened a butterfly bag.
    Needless to say left mine and theirs, called purina directly and had a different lot # brought directly to my house.
    What are you feeding ?

Default Moth larvae

I guessed some sort of moth larvae and ex (an entomologist) concurs. If you have a local agricultural extension office or ag college, they can help you. It's probably an easy fix: tightly close containers and post signs as such!

I'm agog - I think - to find out what these things are, as right now they're zooming all over the corner of the kitchen counter where the oils and vinegars live. Ugh!

I've had them in the feedbin in the summer once or twice, too - I've never noticed them morphing into anything bigger/squishier/yuckier/scarier, but still, they are a leetle naaaasty, aren't they.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebmik View Post
    Any clue what these could be?: tiny, (like smaller than a pin head) white bugs that you wouldn't know they were bugs unless you look really close and can barely see them move. If you weren't looking for anything you would never notice.
    They are in white clusters on inside lid of the plastic feed trashcan.
    I share a feed area with elderly farm owner, who regularly leaves lid off... I always go behind him and close, but obviously something has gotten in there....???

Sounds like grain mites to me. Just do a google image search for grain mites. They give me the willies just looking at the photos.

Definitely grain mites.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

i be disinfecting the the feed bin

I'm thinking it may be moth larvae...one tub I opened and several very small moths flew out...this other tub I didn't see any fly out, but that's the one that is covered in tiny, tiny things....(looked at grain mites and from online pictures those look even larger than what is on feed lid!)
    So small like if you took a ball point pen and did a "dot" on paper it would be close to the size of these "things"
    I dumped all contaminated feed and bleached tubs and they are drying in sun all day...I am going to put a brick on feed tubs in hopes to reiterate message of CLOSING LIDS!
    creepy

you can also use dry ice to kill bugs just place the grain in a air tight bin pop in dry ice Co2 will kill the buggies and then when opened will dissipate in a harmless manor. . . only problem can be getting the bug bodies out

A little extra protein for the horsies?

I will also say that they sound like Grain Mites to me too.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    Sophie 11 yo Iberian Warmblood mare
    Seadog Man 11 yo STB gelding
    Our New Jet 7 yo STB Gelding

It it's grain mites (and it sounds like it is) be sure to throw out all of the old grain (secure in tightly closed garbage bags). They are active in humidity and the warm summer months. Wash down everything with hot, soapy water. Check other foodstuffs in your feed room -- they can infest dog and cat food too.
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....