The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sign of the times or do we just not care?

I’ve always said that Eventer’s were different – it’s a sport unlike most any other sport where competitors actually care about each other. These past couple of weekends I have seen or experienced things I’ve never experienced before at a horse trial:

1) At Waredaca last Sunday, I saw the end result of a car (a volunteer’s?) that was hit and whoever hit it took off. Nice.
    2) At Richland this Sunday, yet another hit and run. This time it was a competitor’s truck.
    3) Also this Sunday, not only did my wheelbarrow and shovel go walking off (before I finished stripping stalls), but my wallet was lifted out of my truck. Great, no cash or cards with less than a half a tank of diesel…

Seriously, a few bad apples, sign of the times or do we just not care about our fellow competitors anymore? Yes, the new wheelbarrow and shovel will be covered in duct/electrical tape and yes, it is a good reminder to DOUBLE check the truck doors. Knowing my luck, I’ll lock the keys inside with the wallet! Not much one can do about the hit and runs but perhaps if we can just keep an eye out for each other???

And by the way, BOTH events were wonderful – great venues, vendors(loved the Smoothies @ Waredaca & ColdStone @ RP) and the volunteers were absolutely the best.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Stuff like that always happens at horse shows. Sometimes you notice it. Sometimes you don't.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I don't know if these are isolated incidents or not. I do know that I was at Carousel Park over the weekend and my fiance commented that everyone left car doors open, windows all the way down, keys and wallets visible. I replied that it was just the way it was - people trusted other people not to take stuff at a show.

I had someone help me put my horse in the trailer also, since I was parked on a bit of a slant and that did not sit as well with my pony.

I have known some isolated incidents in the past and they were either one bad apple or someone who was not horsey but a friend or family of someone at the show.

Other than that, I have noticed the same courtesy related to all disciplines, whether it is at a jumper show, hunter show, dressage show, etc.

Opportunistic theft is nothing new in eventing or any other horse show. I always try to lock my truck and trailer when I am not around. I definitely do not leave any valuables in my trailer (e.g. wallet, cash, etc.) when I am not around.

At the old Trojan horse 10 years ago, 3-5 unlocked trailers were robbed, including the 2 who were right next to mine. I suspect that because mine was locked the thieves quickly moved along. Heck, a year later, a friend of mine had her ENTIRE rig stolen and it was found at the Mexico border 3 weeks later.

I have had things such as muck buckets and forks "walk" off on a regular basis.

Thieves frequent horse shows because they know that there is a VERY lax police presence while there is a LOT of money and valuables simply sitting out and hundreds of people constantly moving about with no questions asked. I suspect that thieves are simply moving into eventing because it is getting more attention and there are the same "products" free for the taking.

A few years ago at Bromont, a bunch of trucks were stolen. Didn't have anything to do with eventers - they were just opportunistic. Lots of folks wander around a horse show - could be someone connected with the show, or just a spectator or someone who drove by and figured they'd case it.

As for your muckbucket/pitchfork, is it possible that someone might have borrowed it (or even thought it was theirs) and then returned it after you left? I've had that happen before - someone grabs the wrong wheelbarrow or borrows one handy and then returns it later on.

My DH was at Plantation with me a few weeks ago, and as I got on to go to sj and xc, he said "Aren't you locking the truck?" I said no, never have, and never had a problem at an HT. Silly me, I guess, I'll start locking up, now, though.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

The place was pretty much cleared out by the time I gave up searching for the W&S. The wheelbarrow didn't bother me much -- I still have a splinter in my hand from it. The shovel was actually a Christmas gift from my husband... the only "horsey" thing he has ever given me. That actually irritates me the most...
    The hit and runs -- seriously, leave a note (I know that Everyone Is In a Hurry!). Can you imagine giving up a day to volunteer and walking back to that??? I dunno, makes me crazy. And the RP incident, a BNR did the running... I do think we need to step up a bit.
    I also do think it is regional though... in MD, windows were always down, doors unlocked etc. I had a brain-fart in MI that cost me. Most of the time, doors were locked there.
    I guess it is the back-to-back-to-back incidents that concern me. Seems like a lot of crap to see in less than 8 days.

So about 8 years ago I had driven to a local show, unloaded, unhooked, truck was parked under a shady tree. Of course everything was unlocked and keys were in the cubby to the side of the steering wheel where they always are at shows. One of the kids went to get something out of my truck and came back really confused...... "you left your truck under the tree by the bathrooms right?"...me..."well yeah its just past the trailer, if you go to the bathrooms you can't miss it".....kid wanders off and comes back doesn't say anything so I figure she had a blond moment and located my big F-350 in a non busy parking area and was just continueing on her day, I never went and checked. About an hour later I'm riding around, and a fellow eventer that I know, but don't "Know" rides by and says "hey borrowed your truck, keys were in it and figured you wouldn't mind. I was really hungry and didn't want to unhook". Lightbulb moment, the kid isn't that dumb, the truck wasn't there. He did return the truck to basically the exact same location, if he hadn't said anything I never would have known.

One of my friends wallet was stolen out of her trailer(I think at trojan) and it was hidden in the gooseneck part in a cubby under her underwear...how weird is that? Can't really imagine anyone wanting to riffle thru peoples clothes(especially underwear) I always have my truck locked up, cause of those incidences 10 years ago...still happens, oppertunity knocks, especially when it is just sitting there for the taking...

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    Thieves frequent horse shows because they know that there is a VERY lax police presence while there is a LOT of money and valuables simply sitting out and hundreds of people constantly moving about with no questions asked. I suspect that thieves are simply moving into eventing because it is getting more attention and there are the same "products" free for the taking.
    The same thing is true of churches, those with an active Sunday class program. Sometimes class teachers and attendees will set all their stuff down in the classroom and then go off to socialize at the coffee table elsewhere. Before class time thieves will be into purses left unattended in empty classrooms. Why would a woman leave her purse? Because they feel comfortable about the environment, it's never been a problem. Most churches are embarrassed and never say a word, people aren't aware this goes on. I learned all this the hard way !!! If it can happen at a church it can certainly happen at an event. The thieves aren't everywhere, that's why we get away with being relaxed about our belongings. It is too bad there are people in the world who are this kind of sly predator.

But I haven't been locking my stuff at events, and I've wondered at myself. I don't leave things out in view if they are unattended. But the tack room door lock doesn't work. No excuse, I'll be very sad if I loose the first saddle that ever fit my leg.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    He did return the truck to basically the exact same location, if he hadn't said anything I never would have known.
    Many years ago in my prior horse life I finally figured out my car was picking up some extra miles while I was riding. Because, see, the younger teens didn't have many options since they didn't have their DL's yet. Underneath the driver's seat was not the best place for the keys.

Happened at a funeral in my neck of the woods a few weeks ago. Some older ladies left their purses in their LOCKED cars (granted, they were sitting between the front seats in view) during the burial, came back to busted out windows and no purses. Just sad that someone's going to rob you while you bury a friend or loved one.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Well, theres no way to know if the offenders were eventers, or just there to watch. Ive seen a competitors boyfriend park RIGHT next to the opening for trailer parking, so the trailers couldnt really get out. No horseperson would do something so inconsiderate, I hope. With the crowds at some events, you just dont know WHO is there, and they may not be involved in the community, and therefore not care about their actions. Ive got a jerk of a father that might show up and do something crappy like that.

I was never good about locking up my stuff until I went to college (UMD in PG County MD) I had my GPS stolen out of my locked car (they broke the window) in a gated parking lot with surveillance cameras. After that i've just gotten into the habit of putting everything away and locking it no matter where I am.

Yikes. I'm spoiled. We don't even lock our house! I guess I'd better start being more pro-active....
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Kairoshorses, I'm like you. Never lock my house, keys stay in the vehicles. I do have dogs and a front gate though that thieves would have to exit their cars to open. I rarely lock my truck at horse trials - but I do usually hide the valuables. Most other people have much flasher stuff than me though - not much value on holey sweat sheets and wool rugs!

It is so ridiculously easy to steal things at a horse show, think about it. It always has happened, always WILL happen. Whether or not we notice it, it happens. When we do notice, we tend to remember and get that sinking feeling. When we don't, however, we don't particularly remember or notice "gee, nothing got stolen that I was aware of this weekend".

I've never had anything stolen but HAVE had panicky moments when I misplaced something. I leave my truck open, keys in the ignition, etc. just like almost everyone else. And although I lock my trailer at night, come on--how hard is it to break into one? I've done it myself. (my own, naturally)
    Click here before you buy.

I guess Ill just say that it would never occur to me to steal something from someone at a horse show.

Last weekend at the USEF Young Dressage Horse Championships, a systematic cleaning out of tack rooms took place. They apparently did catch the perp, but several thousand dollars in cash was involved.

I guess the thief knew better than to expect that kind of cash at an event, eh?