The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Meeting clients at sales?!?

With the sales in full order this fall- can anyone recommend a good place to advertise or a good way to introduce your farm to people buying babies at the sale? Do you just walk around with cards or make flyers in barns? I know it's totally different than show sales.

Yes, you can just walk around. Pass out flyers or cards if you have them. Not sure of the policy on hanging flyers -- you'd have to check. Definitely helps to know someone and start there.

Of course, you might want to check with the sales company, first
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    Yes, you can just walk around. Pass out flyers or cards if you have them. Not sure of the policy on hanging flyers -- you'd have to check. Definitely helps to know someone and start there.

Of course, you might want to check with the sales company, first
    There are tables at Keeneland under the results sheets where you can leave material. At Fasig and at OBS there are tables just inside the entrance to the sale pavillion.

It's very much a word of mouth business. If you know anyone at the stud farms, you may be able to get on their overflow lists.

Thank you! I actually do the Delaware Certified program (here in Delaware) and am trying to branch out to the Keenland and OBS sales so people know they can send their weanlings/yearlings up here from the sales. I've not traveled to those sales so it's hard to get a foot in edgewise. I'm getting a website together so clients far away can see the place, etc.
    My client base now is all word of mouth but I'm expanding and would like to reach as many owners as possible.

Thanks again-