The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Thin soles-treatment options

My mare, unfortunately, has typical TB thin soles. At her vet's suggestion, I've tried Venice turpentine and saw some improvement over time. But after hearing about Crossopol (it's like Keratox, apparently) I'd like to give it a try. Can anyone share their experiences....good and bad? And if you're using it, can you still use something like Kopertox for thrush?

Thanks.....

Durasole is what I've used to thicken up soles. Works very well.

Don't know about Crossopol and the use of a thrush medication, BUT I've used keratex with good success.

The hoof must be in correct from so the sole can develop. Long toes will keep a sole thin, for example.

I am unfamiliar with typical TB thin soles-I personally think it is a myth. Likely because most TBs race and they love the long toes...

Has she been x-rayed to determine sole depth?

I had a very thin soled horse a couple of years ago and Durasole was what worked best for him.

Sorry, I've never heard of the product you mention.

I echo G.A.P. Have you taken x-rays to determine how thin the sole is?

Also is the horse barefoot or shod? I have used Durasole to toughen (it didn't thicken) up my TB's thin (5-6 mm on radiographs) soles, but that's not enough with the depth I'm working with. Until the other hoof structures can strengthen and grow following a good, balanced trim my horse needs pads--whether that is pour in with shoes or padded boots.

Otherwise you can damage the coffin bone.

I'd get x-rays.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I don't believe any hoof product is going to "thicken" your horses thin soles. A product may toughen them a bit. If your horse has thin soles, they must be protected (shoes and/or pads).
    Some horses (most all TB's) have what I believe to be genetic thin soles and all the TB's I have ever met that do any form of work are wearing shoes. I am sure there are a few out there with great feet, but most need shoes.

Disagree. TBs can have excellent feet with proper care.

http://DURASOLE.COM

Worth twice the price . . . and now it's PURPLE!!!

Durasole is really neat stuff. Now I only have to slap it on my thin soled boy every couple of weeks.

Durasole users, I've been using it myself for quite some time but never really knew 100% how to apply it. THe bottle says "dropwise", so does that mean you only need a few drops per hoof?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Durasole users, I've been using it myself for quite some time but never really knew 100% how to apply it. THe bottle says "dropwise", so does that mean you only need a few drops per hoof?
    pretty much, yes. The little plastic container has lasted for months. I put a few drops on and brush it around with the brush end of the hoofpick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    pretty much, yes. The little plastic container has lasted for months. I put a few drops on and brush it around with the brush end of the hoofpick.
    That's what I thought, but with only a few drops, by the time I put the bottle down and bring the brush to the hoof to spread it around, it's just about dried already!

Default so

Does anyone have actual proof that topicals can thicken the sole with everything else remaining constant?
    And can someone explain to me how a topical creates thicker soles?
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I don't know that it makes the soles thicker. It does change the texture of them and make them tougher.

http://www.durasole.com/Durasole_chemistry.html

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    Disagree. TBs can have excellent feet with proper care.
    My TB's do have excellent feet, but require shoes to be the best they can be. Some even require pads and shoes. One horse in particular has extremely flat feet, that is how his feet are, they can't be carved concave, they are flat and require shoes and pads for him to be at his best. Thats why they make shoes and pads.

Have you had rads taken? Does he have a flat coffin bone?

If not, his hoof, if trimmed properly (diet,environment,etc) would have a very good chance of gaining depth.

Without carving.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    Have you had rads taken? Does he have a flat coffin bone?

If not, his hoof, if trimmed properly (diet,environment,etc) would have a very good chance of gaining depth.

Without carving.
    And some horses are just genetically predisposed to flat feet or thin soles. It's not always a trimming/diet/environment thing, although I do think that MOST of the time trim/diet/environment plays a HUGE role, it's not the sole (no pun intended! ) cause of flat feet and thin soles. Some horses, TBs specifically it seems, are just born with crap feet.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    And some horses are just genetically predisposed to flat feet or thin soles. It's not always a trimming/diet/environment thing, although I do think that MOST of the time trim/diet/environment plays a HUGE role, it's not the sole (no pun intended! ) cause of flat feet and thin soles. Some horses, TBs specifically it seems, are just born with crap feet.
    Thank you!