The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default melanomas have been done to death, i know, but can't get ahold of vet...

i called the vet on thursday and still haven't heard back. if i can't get her tomorrow, i'm going to call another vet i used to use. but in the meantime, i'm worried and turning to coth as usual for help

my mare is 15; when i bought her 4 years ago she had one small (like pea sized) melanoma under her tail. since then, it has grown to about the size of a marble, and 2 other tiny ones have appeared on her anus. thursday when i was hosing her i noticed that the larger one has ulcerated. it burst and there is greenish-whitish pus coming out. it's not running or oozing; just kind of hanging out like a little white bubble on the surface (gross, i know, sorry!).

i've just been hosing it but haven't put anything on it because i'm not sure if i SHOULD, or should just leave it be. it doesn't hurt (or seem to, anyway) when i poke/prod/hose it. i'm just worried about an infection or something setting in. anyone have any experiences to share?

It sounds like infection already has set in. Typically when the melanomas burst, it will be a purple-brown color and the consistency of tar. If there is pus, there's more going on. I'd treat it like any other injury until the pus clears.

I have a 22 yo TB mare with tons of melanomas... to the point that she has hardly any healthy tail tissue left. When one of them gets pussy, we clean it out with surgical scrub, and then put nolvasan on it. Once the pus stops, we just put desitin around the melanoma to keep her comfortable while it closes.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

oh geez, ok. i was worried about that. poor thing

I have a 2 year old rose grey filly with what I think is a melanoma midway above her hock. It's about the size of a small marble. I've only had her a few months and it's stayed pretty much the same the entire time. When I went out day before yesterday, it looked like she had bumped it and the dark top layer was loose, much like a scab would be. The was no bleeding, just moist pink & red underneath. I dabbed a bit of Prep-H on it, as it was the only thing I could think of that might be ok to put on it.

I've not had much experience with melanoma, since I've only owned a few greys. I have had experience with one nasty lemon sized sarcoid on a pony's face that took two rounds of cryo & chemo to get rid of.

Does this sound like a melanoma to you or something else? She's due for a coggins in a couple of weeks, so I'll definitely get it looked at. Until then, I'm not sure if I should put anything else on it, or just leave it be.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

I have a rescue mare that has masses of melanoma under her tail. She gets ulcers from them rubbing (where they fold over) and currently has one that has blistered open.

I spoke with my vet as I was unsure of what to put on the open sore.
    She said that basically they are like a big zit, they will get too big for the skin and will break open.
    She recommended cleaning with water only - no peroxide, Betadine, nothing.
    Dab some Furacine ointment around the open sore, give it a minute to soak in and then spray on top with a drying ointment (Blue Coat, etc).

I said I was spraying the ulcers under her tail with Microtec spray and she thought that was fine.

She did mention that she could prescribe an antibiotic but really had not seen substantial results to warrant the cost.

Check with your vet. This is the worst case I've dealt with and I just want to keep my mare comfortable. I've heard of people amputating tails, etc. The extent of your "treatment" will be a decision you make with your vet.

thanks for the replies! as for the rose filly it *could* be a melanoma but i'd prob have to feel it to know for sure, i'm no vet :P my mare has a couple bumps on her neck that i suspect are melanomas based on the fact that they feel like them (fairly hard but still squishy enough that you can push on them and they will "give" slightly, and also you can hold them between your fingers and kinda moved them around) and also that she's had them the entire 4+ yrs i've had her, so they're not bites or reactions or something. i've never seen a melanoma that was pink/red when it ulcerated BUT i've only known half dozen horses with them so that could be a possibility!

talked to the vet, and she said to just hose it and maybe put some of that alu-spray or spray bandage on it to keep it clean but otherwise just keep an eye on it. i temped her this a.m. and she was right at 99.5 so i don't think she has an infection. also, in reexamining it, the "stuff" sitting on its surface is actually more black than yellow. (GROSS!) the comparison to a big zit makes a lot of sense! the base of it seems to have hardened a lot, too, since it ulcerated. *sigh* greys are so beautiful...i have TWO but luckily my gelding is not genetically grey, just a whited out paint, so i doubt i'll have these issues with him.

My 24 yo Arab mare has "fatty tumors" on her neck. She had a few of them when I got her 19 years ago ... they haven't changed through the years, but she has a few more of them.

She had a melanoma between her butt cheeks 6 years ago. I had it removed - it was "encapsulated", we were lucky - though I know most don't recommend removing them. Just a month ago I believe I saw the start of another one. We've been lucky to go that long without more.

Tarn in OK

I have more experience with melanomas than I care to have

In my experience, anything other than true black or grey ooze meant the beastie needed antibiotics. Trust me, you do not want a full-blown infection. With that said, I wouldn't be too worried about a single melanoma, but a cluster of them with one or more oozing yellow would be a signal for immediate action (to me).
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post

In my experience, anything other than true black or grey ooze meant the beastie needed antibiotics. Trust me, you do not want a full-blown infection. With that said, I wouldn't be too worried about a single melanoma, but a cluster of them with one or more oozing yellow would be a signal for immediate action (to me).
    yeap call a better vet

Quote Originally Posted by HuntJumpSC View Post
    I have a 2 year old rose grey filly with what I think is a melanoma midway above her hock.

Does this sound like a melanoma to you or something else? She's due for a coggins in a couple of weeks, so I'll definitely get it looked at. Until then, I'm not sure if I should put anything else on it, or just leave it be.
    Not going to say it's not but melanomas usually cluster at the anus, underneath the tail and around the face, particularly the base of the ears. And she is awfully young.

At any rate, I'd leave it alone other then to watch for infection. Not an emergency if it's as you say. Don't pick at it.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Nope, definitely no picking! I've left it alone and watched it carefully for changes. Looks like she must have bumped it the other day to cause what I saw. Doesn't seem to bother her and the flies are leaving it alone.

Instead of having the local vet out to pull her coggins (that's about the only thing I use him for), I may call the one 2 hours away who did the work on my pony with the sarcoid. I trust him completely for any big issues that pop up. Next trip he makes up this way, I'll get him to swing by.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post

I agree - on both counts Our gray we lost this spring had horrible melanomas. Black, tarry discharge - nasty tumor smell = tumor, anything yellow or infection looking we treated with antibiotics. He even developed an anaerobic infection from the internal tumors on his large intestine that came to the surface and abcessed (thankfully - would have lost him sooner if it hadn't) - and that is a discharge and smell you can never forget.

Edited to say: when we were aggressively treating him with Cimetidine, he did have a lot of "pus" discharge ... but without a smell. The theory was that the cimetidine made the body attack the tumors (and boy did it affect them) so the discharge was also dead white blood cells that had attached the tumors, mingled in with the tumor goo and blood.

As the other melanoma soldiers mentioned, black-purple-brown discharge is normal for a melanoma. No need to do more than rinse that off, and our vet has us use the desitine around the opening to keep the skin from getting too sore. Whem my mare only had a couple, she never seemed uncomfortable. now that she has more melanomas then healthy skin, she definitely appreciates the extra step.

Any discharge that is yellow or green is definitely infection, and definitely needs some antibiotic help. Usually a topical antibiotic is enough, but you want to be careful the infection doesn't spread. She won't have a temp with a local infection...the temp will come when she's truly sick. Just like if you have a small infection on your finger, your temp will still be 98.6. Once it goes systemic, you'll have a fever.

I'd get another opinion, personally. Not all vets know what they are talking about. I had to ship my mare out of state to find a vet that actually knew what he was doing. The local people had some thoughts, but it wasn't the most up and coming info.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.