The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What do you think of cord girths?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love em!

13 52.00%
  • Hate em!

5 20.00%
  • Never used one, but would be willing to try one.

3 12.00%
  • Never used one, never will!

4 16.00%

Question Cord/String girths.. yea or nay?

So.. I need a new girth for my mare.. a bigger one..

I am really picky about my girths, and my mare gets rubs/scurfy skin easily. So it's kind of a challenge to get a new girth.

Just about my only options are neoprene with single elastic, or cord. I've used a cord cinch on her before with a western saddle, and liked it. Never used a super-long cord girth before(we'll be getting a 52" or 54"... I'm depressed at that, yes ).

Any pros and cons I should know about them? Are they a good choice of girth? Do they stretch out/wear out over time? How do you clean them?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I use synthetic string girths with my dressage saddle and all purpose saddles. I love them. My one mare is a little prone to rubs with both leather and neoprene and even fleece girth covers. The string girths - never. They also grip better without needing to crank them super tight.

I have not had them stretch (though I had a wool one that did stretch over time, but you could just tighten it another hole - it didn't stretch suddenly while riding).

I only use the leather or other "nice looking" ones for shows or hunting, and use the string for all other riding.

I hose them or wash them in the sink or toss them in the washer once in a while, depending on dirt and sweat levels and drip dry them.

The only downside (minor) is they pick up burrs if you are "bushwhacking" through fields or woods.

Quote Originally Posted by twofatponies View Post
    I use synthetic string girths with my dressage saddle and all purpose saddles. I love them. My one mare is a little prone to rubs with both leather and neoprene and even fleece girth covers. The string girths - never. They also grip better without needing to crank them super tight.

I have not had them stretch (though I had a wool one that did stretch over time, but you could just tighten it another hole - it didn't stretch suddenly while riding).

I only use the leather or other "nice looking" ones for shows or hunting, and use the string for all other riding.

I hose them or wash them in the sink or toss them in the washer once in a while, depending on dirt and sweat levels and drip dry them.

The only downside (minor) is they pick up burrs if you are "bushwhacking" through fields or woods.
    I don't show, so looks are no biggie.

I forgot about the burrs thing, I do trail ride a lot but most of the time it's not in deeply wooded areas.

Just to add, having had a wool one and two synthetic ones, I didn't see a difference in performance. Wool is nice, but more expensive and harder to find. I got all of mine on consignment at the local tack shop - $20 each.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I am old enough to remember when string girths were common. I didn't care for them then, and still don't, but YMMV.

I have a very sensitive skinned horse and find that the cheapie fleece girths are perfect for him; they can be laundered (with Dreft, of course, g*d forbid there are harsh detergents against his skin ) and they are soft and stretchy and never bother him a bit.

I do have a super soft Del Garda leather girth that I use for showing. The leather is super soft and doesn't rub him the way other leather girths do. However, due to the softness I am quite sure its durability will be limited and for that reason, we save it for clinics and showing only.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by twofatponies View Post
    Just to add, having had a wool one and two synthetic ones, I didn't see a difference in performance. Wool is nice, but more expensive and harder to find. I got all of mine on consignment at the local tack shop - $20 each.
    I actually found one online that's supposedly pure mohair for $12.99, on closeout. We'll see if it's real mohair or not if I decide to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I am old enough to remember when string girths were common. I didn't care for them then, and still don't, but YMMV.

I have a very sensitive skinned horse and find that the cheapie fleece girths are perfect for him; they can be laundered (with Dreft, of course, g*d forbid there are harsh detergents against his skin ) and they are soft and stretchy and never bother him a bit.

I do have a super soft Del Garda leather girth that I use for showing. The leather is super soft and doesn't rub him the way other leather girths do. However, due to the softness I am quite sure its durability will be limited and for that reason, we save it for clinics and showing only.
    I'm really not a fan of the fleece girths, they're a pain to keep clean and my mare doesn't seem to like how puffy and thick a lot of them are.

I can't afford a really nice leather girth, and the ones I can afford would rub my mare. Also, I find leather girths, even with elastic, harder to tighten.

Why do you NOT like cord girths? I'd really love to hear some cons for them so I have a good perspective on them from both sides.

I have always liked, and used, string girths. Never had a problem with one.

I also use basic 'cord' western girths, again, never a problem.

I hate, hate hate neoprene girths, pads, whatever.

Do like and use the fleece girths- I just throw them in the washing machine periodically.

Used to have a white cloth girth- and would use one again but I haven't seen them advertised lately- got mine in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    I have always liked, and used, string girths. Never had a problem with one.

I also use basic 'cord' western girths, again, never a problem.

I hate, hate hate neoprene girths, pads, whatever.

Do like and use the fleece girths- I just throw them in the washing machine periodically.

Used to have a white cloth girth- and would use one again but I haven't seen them advertised lately- got mine in the 80s.
    Cloth? Is that like a web girth or..? Never heard of it!

Web girth: http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/3040/23G300

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I'm really not a fan of the fleece girths, they're a pain to keep clean and my mare doesn't seem to like how puffy and thick a lot of them are.

I can't afford a really nice leather girth, and the ones I can afford would rub my mare. Also, I find leather girths, even with elastic, harder to tighten.

Why do you NOT like cord girths? I'd really love to hear some cons for them so I have a good perspective on them from both sides.
    Well, tack is a very individual choice ... certainly you should buy what works for you.

Personally, I don't find the fleece girths hard to clean. I have two of them (not a big deal when they only cost about $30) so most of the time I just chuck the one I've used that day into the washer with my saddle pad and polos. It comes out looking like new 20 minutes later, no big deal at all. If I don't get around to doing horse laundry that night, on the next day I just use the other one and wash them both together the following day.

This is the one I have, though I did not buy it at Dover: http://www.doversaddlery.com/equaliz...X1-0273/cn/78/

IME, cord girths can rub and pinch, and are a LOT harder to keep clean. (I just can't picture washing a string girth on a daily basis.) Also, to me they just don't seem like they would be as comfortable to the horse as a soft fleece girth with elastic ends, but that's just my opinion.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Well, tack is a very individual choice ... certainly you should buy what works for you.

Personally, I don't find the fleece girths hard to clean. I have two of them (not a big deal when they only cost about $30) so most of the time I just chuck the one I've used that day into the washer with my saddle pad and polos. It comes out looking like new 20 minutes later, no big deal at all. If I don't get around to doing horse laundry that night, on the next day I just use the other one and wash them both together the following day.

This is the one I have, though I did not buy it at Dover: http://www.doversaddlery.com/equaliz...X1-0273/cn/78/

IME, cord girths can rub and pinch, and are a LOT harder to keep clean. (I just can't picture washing a string girth on a daily basis.) Also, to me they just don't seem like they would be as comfortable to the horse as a soft fleece girth with elastic ends, but that's just my opinion.
    Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Cloth? Is that like a web girth or..? Never heard of it!

Web girth: http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/3040/23G300

Nope, that's not it. Actually I had several, here was the brown one (sorry, not a close up and I do hope this is the public Facebook url!)

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...mageID=1687831

And here's the white one...Shockingly, in the foxhunters night class at the Warrenton Horse Show, and I was not knocked for it, pinned even, of course these weren't appointments classes!

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...mageID=1828302

PS I do presently have two of those Dover girths- I don't think mine are exactly as pictured but pretty close, I do think I bought them at Dover but at least 6-7 years ago. I like 'em, use 'em for hunting too. In fact it's on this horse hunting in Nevada:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...mageID=1182110
    Last edited by Beverley; Aug. 23, 2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: added PS

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Nope, that's not it. Actually I had several, here was the brown one (sorry, not a close up and I do hope this is the public Facebook url!)

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...mageID=1687831

And here's the white one...Shockingly, in the foxhunters night class at the Warrenton Horse Show, and I was not knocked for it, pinned even, of course these weren't appointments classes!

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...mageID=1828302

PS I do presently have two of those Dover girths- I don't think mine are exactly as pictured but pretty close, I do think I bought them at Dover but at least 6-7 years ago. I like 'em, use 'em for hunting too.
    Interesting, I've never seen a cloth girth before!

I'm OK with mohair string girths. Not at all fond of the synthetics (but maybe synthetics are better now than they were when I formed that opinion).

The only problem I had with my string girths was that they would kinda tangle up as the buckle slipped between the strings. If you have some way to always keep them hung up (I was stuffing them in a tote bag thing) I suppose they wouldn't tangle.

They don't look quite right for hunter, but girth sores don't either.

I just hand washed them with Woolite (got a really good cheap knockoff now) and let them air dry.

Smile

Have a number of the synthetics hanging around, Also used a mohair on a horse that didn't go comfortably in anything else.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Have a number of the synthetics hanging around, Also used a mohair on a horse that didn't go comfortably in anything else.
    Did you notice any difference between the synthetic and mohair?

I have a synthetic and a soft cotton or wool one--I'm not sure exactly what it is but it's soft and not nylon. Actually, I just bought another one today because Stagecoach had them for sale for $5 just because they were muddy from the flood. Whee!

I like them a lot. My only real con is that they don't have elastic, and I would love to find a string girth with elastic. However, it seems as though the wool/cotton ones have a little bit of give to them. The synthetic one, which I don't use much, doesn't. It also gets weird and uneven after washing; I have to readjust all the strings. The cotton one doesn't. The synthetic one doesn't pick up as many seeds/burrs though so I'll use it for trail riding sometimes.

To avoid pinching, I just wait to pick out my horse's hooves until after I've tightened the girth most of the way, and stretch his front legs out a little when I do to make sure there's no skin bunching around or under the girth.

I use a synthetic fleece cover over my leather girth when I use it, except for shows; I also just got a terry cloth one from SmartPak that is easy to keep clean with a sweaty horse, but likes to bunch up if you don't adjust it carefully.