The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How tall of a horse trailer

I have been looking for a tairler lately. I know that I need a taller trailer, but I want the coth's opinion on how tall is tall enough. I have a 16.1hh TB and a 16 mo old filly that by all guesses should grow to about 16.1 to 16.3 hands. So, please tell me what you think is tall enough?

For what it is worth I am looking at a 2 horse bumper pull that I can pull with my tahoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy9532 View Post
    I have been looking for a tairler lately. I know that I need a taller trailer, but I want the coth's opinion on how tall is tall enough. I have a 16.1hh TB and a 16 mo old filly that by all guesses should grow to about 16.1 to 16.3 hands. So, please tell me what you think is tall enough?

For what it is worth I am looking at a 2 horse bumper pull that I can pull with my tahoe.
    Well . . . I would not pull with a Tahoe any more. I used to, but they've made them smaller and smaller and while they can *move* a two horse bumper pull, I don't think that they can safely *control* that load in bad conditions any more. I made the switch to a 3/4 ton pickup truck and it is a HUGE difference.

So, if you are restricted by your towing vehicle, I would be very careful about sizing up the trailer because the more you have back there to control, the more vehicle you need to be safe in adverse conditions or when coping with horrid rude drivers.

I guess you might get away with increasing size with something like a Benderup, but I have no personal knowledge of these trailers:
    http://www.brenderuprealtrailers.com/

They've been around a long time, although I know some folks who are very wary of the light construction and oddly aerodynamic look, I have not personally run into more horror stories than any other manufacturer.

Thanks for the input.

Does anybody have any height suggestions for a 16.3hh horse?

Minimum 7', but you'd probably be better with 7'6". If you want to haul with your Tahoe, do take a look at Brenderup- if you go on their website they will send you a free video.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare