The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cost of Leasing a Junior Jumper

We have been thinking about leasing a junior jumper for me after finals this year and I was just trying to figure out what you guys think would be a reasonable price.

I have 2 more junior years left and I have been doing the 3'6" hunters and eq for a couple of years now, but I have never really tried the jumpers. The horses I have been riding are challenging and I have learned a lot from them. I am really just looking for a horse that is dependable to jump and to let me learn to jump higher, it doesn't have to be a baby sitter at all.

I would like to start in the modified juniors and then possibly move up to the highs depending on how well its going (this would probably only be a year lease)

Thanks in advance!

Smile

General lease is 1/3 the price of the horse, although you may be able to do a little better in this economy. There is also a HUGE difference between leasing something to do the high juniors vs. the children's or modified. Sometimes the people that own the high jr. horses will not lease them out and allow you to do the modified, as it may bring down the price of the horse. I would suggest leasing something to do the children's jumpers this year. Do well, do the NAL and WIHS finals and have fun! Learn to do the children's well first. It is different than doing the hunters and eq. Then, your last year, lease something to move up. Unless you can find something that you could use to do the children's this year and it could move up to the low juniors next year. That would be a good possiblity and the best of both worlds, as you would get to know the horse. I have always been told it isn't the height that matters......it's learning to ride the courses correctly, making the turns, riding to the base of the jumps, etc. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will be sure to consider that. I think I might be past doing the children's, I have been doing 3'6" (and 3'9" in the uset) for about 3 years now, but maybe if I just started in the lows this year or something... they arent that much bigger then what I am doing.

I am really not looking to win, just to learn and have fun.

bump

Quote Originally Posted by neigh.neigh View Post
    Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will be sure to consider that. I think I might be past doing the children's, I have been doing 3'6" (and 3'9" in the uset) for about 3 years now, but maybe if I just started in the lows this year or something... they arent that much bigger then what I am doing.

I am really not looking to win, just to learn and have fun.
    I did the children's jumpers maybe 4 times (on a really difficult horse), the modified jumpers maybe 3 times, then hopped right into the lows. And I had way more success right off the bat in the lows than I had in the modified's (I don't think I ever had a clean round in the mods - even though I did the same horse in the mods - highs). The only challenging part for me was understanding how to gallop to the base of the fence - but I figured it out soon enough!

You'll have so much fun in the jumpers!! Good luck! And honestly, I think the children's jumpers are a little scary. You have to all out RUN to win in those classes - and since the jumps are so small, you can get scary distances and still win, which is really frustrating if you're an accurate rider with a sense of self-preservation. In the lows, you really just have to be double clean and you'll almost always get a prize.

General rule 1/3 price of the horse, in this economy who knows. There are lots out there that fit the bill for a low jr horse, but leasing a high horse will be more difficult for obvious reasons, not that they aren't out there.
    Your thinking about moving right up to jrs, in my opinion get there as soon as you feel confident enough.

Not that this is what you asked, but...No need IMO to stick to the Children's if you are already a successful 3'6"-3'9" eq rider. You're probably already more competent than most of the riders in that division! I went right from the eq to the juniors, and if you can ride and can find a decent horse, it's not that much of a leap.

As far as pricing, it depends where you are in the US, how good your trainer's contacts are (and how much he/she wants to make on the deal ) and how competitive you want to be - low juniors at the local A's vs junior jumper winner at Indoors will be vastly different in price. If you can ride a tricky one or a hot one, it will be cheaper. Anywhere from $10K to well into the six figures, and everywhere in between. I've even heard of a few scenarios recently where a junior has gotten a free lease on a legit junior jumper - in one case, the A/O was pregnant and wanted the horse to keep showing, and in another, horse was for sale and seller couldn't afford to campaign it. Neither rider had ever done the juniors before, but it probably helped that this was in a zone where there aren't a ton of capable juniors lining up with lease fee in hand.

Smile

It is true that the children's are scary sometimes. Our daughter was always taught to ride to the base and won quite a bit due to being "clean and clear" and not flat out running....... Doing the jumpers really helps with your overall "learning experience."

Lows in the local A's and lows in Florida or one of the other circuits are two different things. There are some scary low riders out there, as well as some scary highs. We saw some really scary ones at Prix des States in Harrisburg. For instance, some of the zones let you qualify for Prix des States at level 5, whereas when you get to Harrisburg - it is level 8. I could never understand the logic in that and it is changing some. Thank heavens! Washington and NY are level 7, but Harrisburg is the first "indoors."

It would be great if you could find one to keep for two years! That way, you would get to know the horse and have a lot of fun!

Have fun and be safe! Don't worry if others are running, no matter what the class. Clean and clear will come out with a ribbon (and $$$) 99% of the time! Good luck on finding something to lease!

Depends on where you show...what level are the Junior Jumper classes where you are planning to show? As has been mentioned, enormous difference between what you see in the smaller A show Jr/AO Level 5 to Level 8 is a huge difference and both can be found in the Jr/AOs depending on shows.

You also have more elaborate jumps in the Jr/AO. Greater Spreads. And liverpools. And a faster time allowed. These all drive up the price of a suitable horse.

IMO you can probably lease a suitable High Ch/Ad (course experience and USEF record at 3'9"-4') with the ability to move you into the Low Juniors anywhere from 20 to 50k if your trainer has good connections in this market. You want a currently successful Low Jr/AO that can move you to high, it's going to be more. You want a high Jr/AO-that's a lower level GP horse and those classes at major shows you will be riding against GP riders who happen to be ammies. Those are pricey....easy mid six figures.

You could get lucky. You never know until you put the word out.

I disagree with that comment about Ch/Ad running around...not if the fences are set at a proper level. They dummy down so much these days it invites racing around...so does baaaad training.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

The OP is from Zone 2, same area of New York as Heritage Farm. The lows around here are either level 5 or 6, depending on the show, and are usually set to height.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    The OP is from Zone 2, same area of New York as Heritage Farm. The lows around here are either level 5 or 6, depending on the show, and are usually set to height.
    Add a little more onto your price for that area and that good type of show with honest heights. Because you will need a little more horse for it to be competitive.

And, be SURE it has no issues with the water. Seen alot of really good horses that come thru fairly reasonable pricewise that have a hole when it comes to any kind of water anywhere near a fence let alone by itself. That's why they were underpriced. Not seen much, if ever, in Childrens. You need that hole plugged for better shows in Jr/AO. Just a hard thing to overcome if they fight at the sight of it.

My barn actually put a permanent, in ground water in and schools them both open and under a fence...inspired by a kid moving up to Juniors on a wonderful horse that stopped out on her at Indoors when it saw it's first "real" water. They tried for a few months but it just was not going to do it without a tremendous rider-which the kid was not- sold it and it went back to Ch/Ad.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

You will need more for a horse in Zone 2, as these shows will have the full regulation heights and are very competitive. In addition, you will have nominating fees, which will make your bill larger if you are not competitive. Generally, it is about $150 - $200. Sometimes, you do not have to pay the nominating fee for ch/ad. It depends on the amount of money offered in the classes, etc. That may be something for you to think about. The Sunday Classics are also more to enter.

Many children/adult classes are not built to the full specs and when we got to indoors, many were intimidated there. At this point, many shows have even separated them into low ch/ad and high ch/ad. I am not sure that I see the point in this, but oh well. You should be able to do fine in the high ch/ad and then move into the modifieds or low juniors. Lows will be level 5/6 at most shows.

A good bit of it has to do with the experience of your horse. If you have an older, more experienced horse, be prepared to pay well for it. Many times you can catch the gp horses on their "way down" and will have a great horse for a "teacher." Your trainer's connections will have as much to do with what you are able to find as anything. Good luck and have fun!

Default Update

Thank you for everyones ideas! They have really helped put things in perspective for me and my parents.

I did the low junior jumpers today on my eq horse at HITS Saugerties and had a lot of fun! I had a great trip in the USET and decided to just go ahead and do it. I felt like I rode the course very well but my horses wasn't very used to the height and had a lot of rails (after a lot of rain the footing wasn't too great either)

I really love doing the jumpers, it is something fun and different. Hopefully I end up leasing something!!!!

this was today in the level 4s
    http://www.photostockplus.com/home.p...0247&pcount=45