The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Default Outdoor flashing?

I have a metal barn, with a large run in shed facing the south. Above the run in part, is a hay mow. The snow comes off of the roof of the barn, and builds up in front of the run in. If we have a bit of warmth, the snow melts, then freezes again in the night, then I have a skating rink into the shed. Sooo, I want to put a roof extension to catch the snow and have it all pile up on one side so the snow will come off of the roof, hit the extension, and all go to the west side. I talked to a contractor who wanted to remove all of the metal from the south side of the hay mow (which is full of hay), and cut it to install flashing, the reinstall the wall with a 3 foot section of roofing angling down to the west side (where there is good drainage). He wanted to charge a lot to do this. Is there flashing that can be attached to the outside wall that be installed so no cutting of the existing wall is necessary? The walls are steel, and the roof overhangs about 8 inches. Thanks for any help...

Get more bids on the job and maybe someone will come with an idea you like better.

Flashing has to go under the metal, or you will eventually have leaks.

To cut sheet metal on a barn, I expect he will use a hand grinder with a small cutting wheel, so it is very safe.
    That is what we use when we have to cut sheet metal already screwed in place, like for corners, wiring or such.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Thanks, Bluey!