The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why does it take me so much time to get my horses ridden?

What the heck is wrong with me that I can't seem to get 4 horses done in one day?

Am I just amazingly slow?
    Easily distracted?
    Lost in the barn-spacetime continueum?

Well, how much time do you have in a day for riding? Do you do all your own grooming, or do you have help? There's a whole lot more work if you are doing it all yourself and have 4 to do...

I wish I could answer your question, but it takes me 4hrs at times to ride my one horse, I think I'm in the same boat as you. I really think time goes faster at the barn!

4 is a lot to do every single day. It usually takes me an hour per horse, plus an extra hour for clean up. I usually go through and brush everyone, put boots, polos on, etc. and get all my tack out and on each stall. I get the first one, tack up, ride for 30 minutes, cool out, untack. In the summer, a quick hose off, in the winter throw a cooler on. MAKE SURE they are cool, and toss them in their stall. Move on to the next one,and go all the way down the line. I always save picking feet for when I tack each one up, so I can be sure that shoes are in good shape, etc. Once the last horse is done and in drying mode, I get the first one out for a full groom,pick the stall, fill the water buckets if needed. Go down the line, put all the tack away. One last check on everyone, and done.

I have to work full time in corporate america though, so I usually just do 2 a day at the most during the week.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

I dedicate an hour to each of mine(2)..

15 mins to brush, groom and tack

5 mins to warmup at the walk

15 mins of actual work.. flat or jumping

5-10 to cool down

10-15 to untack, brush out or a quick wash

The trick is to rotate them so that you only have to ride 2 or 3 each day. Each horse gets one or two days off a week. One horse jumps each day and the other two flat for about half an hour... it's do-able, but you probably need 4 - 8 hours a day to devote to riding.

Just have a baby or two, keep the job, and refrain from getting an outside help. Completely eliminating any spare time has a way of helping you pick up the pace down in the barn.

I can get 4 horses down in about 2 - 2 1/2 hours (without skimping on a complete workout for each horse). Faster if I have someone grooming for me. Wait. I'm guessing on that. I've never had someone groom for me before.

I used to take a lot longer, but when I started riding over my kids' naptime I learned to get a LO-O-OT more efficient.

Maybe I need to come out to OH to show you thing or two???

Quote Originally Posted by Riley0522 View Post
    I wish I could answer your question, but it takes me 4hrs at times to ride my one horse, I think I'm in the same boat as you. I really think time goes faster at the barn!

Glad to hear I'm not alone! My husband has asked me many times why it takes 3-4 hours to ride ONE horse. I can't say I have a great answer for him

It takes me 45 minutes just to get to the barn from home or work. Longer on weekdays during rush hour traffic. I have one horse that I try to hack for about an hour. So, the process for me to ride ONE horse takes half the day. Once I complete my trek to the barn, there is getting everything out, schlepping out to the pasture to bring in the horse, grooming, stretching, tacking, then an hour to ride, back in for cooling out/grooming, schleping the horse back out, stopping for a bit of hand grazing, cleaning the tack, and putting everything away. About 3 hours at the barn and at least an hour and half in the car! Oh, and on Mondays (my day off), the horse is loaded into the trailer and taken to the trainer's barn for a lesson! Now, THAT takes up some serious time! I leave my house by 7AM, for a 9AM lesson (the trainer is at least pretty close!) and get home around 3PM! I don't know how people manage more than 1! I have a second horse, mother of current one, but she is a very lovely pasture ornament. Finding time to just keep her appearance up to "somewhat loved" is difficult.

Its nice to hear the "youngers" have same problem-

And I thought it was just me getting OLD!!

(well that is true too....)

I can tack and ride two in 2.5 hours.

What is your routine at the barn?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by FAW View Post
    I dedicate an hour to each of mine(2)..

15 mins to brush, groom and tack

5 mins to warmup at the walk

15 mins of actual work.. flat or jumping

5-10 to cool down

10-15 to untack, brush out or a quick wash
    How do you keep your horses fit with so little work? Lots of hills? My guys would drop dead on course if I did that!

I can do four in a day but it's hard. I usually use the rotate method and do 2/day with maybe a short walk on the third/fourth horse depending then all four on both sat/sun. On days my horses are working I'm riding them for 45 mins not counting cool down. Add in the hour or so of before/after care and it's easily 2 hrs/horse on days I don't have to Game Ready or do anything special.

Quote Originally Posted by WorthTheWait95 View Post
    How do you keep your horses fit with so little work? Lots of hills? My guys would drop dead on course if I did that!

I can do four in a day but it's hard. I usually use the rotate method and do 2/day with maybe a short walk on the third/fourth horse depending then all four on both sat/sun.
    My guy gets 1 hard ride (1 hour + w/ lot of jumping) and maybe 2 short rides a week. Sometimes one of those rides is a trail ride. He stays pretty fit-- not quite sure how though.

It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour per horse including time to clean tack and such.

Default You could pony them

Having four to do is tough. I used to pony mine and that at least kept them moving. Couldn't work on flat or jumping but rotating in a couple of pony days helped a lot.

Default it's because

you're on the internet.

Having four isn't that difficult if you are organized. That said, you did say "in a day". How many hours would that day consist of? The quickest way is probably feed in am, first horse gets grain but no hay. Knock enough dirt off all of them to tack them up. Ride first horse, provided he's not blowing hard, put him back in stall with his hay, proceed to second horse, rinse, repeat. After all are riden, then bath and do them up or turn them out, whichever applies. I'm basing this on my horses, which would have been out all night on pasture and returning in the morning into clean stalls, which I did the night before after I turned everyone out. And while I HATE to work from a dirty stall, if you do stall chores first, unless you do them before you bring in and then go inside, and change into your britches, you probably won't get done. If I got up at six, I can feed and do 4 stalls, well, in less than an hour. It's now seven, I can turn in, let everyone have a bite, while I shower and change to ride. If each horse only took an hour to ride (including cool out time) it's only noon. It takes less than 15 minutes to bath each horse (we aren't talking show bath here) wipe his face down, turn his fan on and drop his lunch. So max, I'm done at 1P if I dink around and play with the baby kitty. You have to organize things the way they do at the race track and get into a routine. This is presuming you don't longe first or any of that nonsense, and that you don't mess about changing jumps during your ride. Most people, unless in a lesson or doing some sort of conditioning, ie eventers, won't ride for an entire hour, even with one horse. Now, if you work a 8 hour day and have a 1 hour commute to the barn, well, you probably aren't doing the chores, so you still have plenty of time if you can talk and work at the same time. If you can't, as my husband says, shut up and ride.

I could ride 4 a day and work full time and do chores at the barn. But, barn was only 20 min away and I was pretty good about time management.

What's your usual day consist of?

If you're working full time, then one way to get 4 worked in a day is to rotate between longing (for fitness) and ride time. Ride two, longe two.

Unless you really need to work on endurance, 30 minutes of good solid correct work is about all you need. That for me equates to about an hour per ride. Actually a little less if they're all in their stalls already in the a.m. Good correct work in short increments is a lot more work than an hour of goofing off.

When I was riding 4 a day, my day went like this:

5am: up and to barn by 5:45
    Ride two in the a.m., to work at 8. (only takes me a few minutes to shower and get ready for work.)

Work. Make dinner at 5:30. Head to barn at 7pm (or later depending on how hot it was). Ride two more.

The "longer" rides were at night. The "general fitness" rides were in the a.m.

I was usually home by 10:30pm.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by WorthTheWait95 View Post

I can do four in a day but it's hard. I usually use the rotate method and do 2/day with maybe a short walk on the third/fourth horse depending then all four on both sat/sun. On days my horses are working I'm riding them for 45 mins not counting cool down. Add in the hour or so of before/after care and it's easily 2 hrs/horse on days I don't have to Game Ready or do anything special.
    They work most every day, either me or the trainer. They're fit.

Wow, you guys are good, I have finally given up and hired another guy to work at my farm.
    The one I have now just comes in the am/pm to feed and muck and a few general chores(ie. putting out hay for me to give at noon, emptying the trash, power washing the aisle way, sweeping tack room, weed eating around the barn type stuff)

But the list is growing of things that need to be done and that's all I seem to do, and riding gets put on the back burner, if I have to do farm stuff to do.

So I hired a guy for 30 hours a week and he is going to help me tack/wash my 5 horses I need to do almost everyday, and if they don't need to be worked they need to be clipped,wormed,held for somebody (farrier,vet,chro,dentist) and just general stuff around the farm.

I'm tired of doing it all on my own, so here comes help, I'll let you know how it goes!

I'm at the opposite end... when I need to I'm ridiculously speedy if I do say so myself. And my horses get worked. If I'm in a rush, I brush off saddle patch, pick hooves, tack, ride for 1/2 hour, untack, pick hooves, get other horse, same thing. I can be done one horse in forty minutes easily. Where I work riding polo horses I can do six in seventy minutes, with one set of ponying.
    "Disapproval of the way other people run their businesses and treat their horses is the meat and drink of the hunter-jumper industry."
    Working Student Blog
    Current Blog

At my last job, I rode usually about 6 horses a day. Most I ever rode in a day was 10. I was also doing the barn work at well with 40 horses on the property. We usually had at least 2 other workers but not always. So one would groom for the trainer while she rode her 5 or so. I usually groomed and tack up and washed off my own. Some day I had my own groom who would groom and hose off for me. Those days were nice! Grooming was a quick brush over and pick out feet. I hosed them very thoroughly though, so it made up for the lack of grooming. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do when you are trying to ride 6 or more a day plus help feed breakfast, lunch, and dinner and muck stalls and shift turnout on 40 plus horses. Life of a working student or at least my life as a working student!

It was hard work, but was awesome! If I rode less than 6, I felt like I had nothing to do all day. I rode them all for at least 20 mins if not more. I tried to rotate light days and harder working days through my horses, so I did not need 40 or more mins for all 6 horses each day.

The day I rode 10, I rode straight from 8 am to 4 pm with little break. haha it was crazy!
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.