The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Jumper Stallion suggestions?

My daughter is an eventer and has been begging me to breed my chestnut Rubenz-Rubenstein Oldenburg GOV mare to a gray jumping stallion so she can have the nice mover and jumper of her dreams...which also happens to be gray. The mare has had six premium GOV foals, so I guess I would want to have it elgible for GOV inspection, but could be persuaded otherwise, if I really liked the stallion. Any suggestions...this would be for next year's breeding season.

Torino...unlimited power & scope, nice gaits and extremely good-tempered and hard-working offspring. Torino is an international horse in the making.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Not knowing anything about the mare, if you are interested in eventing, you should consider the Trakehner stallion Stiletto or the KWPN stallion Cavalier (frozen only). If you want to be sure to get a gray, both of the sire's parents would need to be gray, and I haven't looked to see whether that applies to either of the stallions mentioned.

Here is Cavalier's website. He is sireline to the TB Wild Risk, who is one of the truly greats in eventing lines. http://www.hanshorn.com/en/stallions/cavalier/
    He is not homozygous gray.

Stiletto is not homozygous gray either. http://www.valhallatrakehner.com/stall.htm His information is pretty far down the page.

Edited to add the Irish Sport Horse Cruising, who is not homozygous for gray either. He is, however, a very good sire of show jumpers and event horses.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Aug. 22, 2009 at 03:10 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Willemoes would be my pick without a doubt. (http://www.performancesires.com/Willemoes.html

Fuerst Gotthard
    Silver Lining
    Riverman
    Comic Hilltop
    Stilletto

Fuerst Gotthard is guaranteed to throw grey, but he is retired. Perhaps their is frozen semen available from him? I have a son of his that I just love!
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Based on my foal crop this year, I would suggest Quinar or Roller Coaster. My two colts by these stallions can not be kept in a paddock. They jump in and out at their desire, and our fence is 4'6". We weaned the boys yesterday and the Roller Coaster colt launched himself over his 5' stall wall three times. It was scary. I never had one do that. It took us nailing up two more boards to raise it a foot, before he decided he'd better stay in the stall. That is not to say he didn't size it up ! Roller Coaster was a GP competitor with Todd Minikus. Now he is with Evan O'Donnell in NJ. He can be seen in the stallion roster which is on the AHHA site. The other thing about this colt is that he possesses an incredible amount of confidence. He is a bold and intelligent colt. You can see Rollando (photos are not current) on my web site. Roller Coaster is in the reference stallion section.

http://minglewoodsporthorses.net/rollando.aspx
    Maryanne Nicpon
    Minglewood Sport Horses
    Ballston Spa, NY

Quote Originally Posted by baywithchrome2 View Post
    Torino...unlimited power & scope, nice gaits and extremely good-tempered and hard-working offspring. Torino is an international horse in the making.
    Torino isn't GOV he's BWP. I think there are some great jumper stallions, if you do go out of the registry I would go Hanoverian or Holsteiner. I like Ironman, he's GOV and a grey and he's had success in the show ring.

Our stallion Equinox is by Torino. He has excellent gaits (8's and 9's in dressage for gaits) and an excellent jumper (87% jumping score at his stallion inspection). He is registered BWP, not GOV but if you are interested see him at www.serenityfarmsinc.com

We are very happy with our foals from Avebury WF. His full sister Alexis has started schooling cross country and is a very talented and responsible ride. He is an awesome jumper and very kind, as are his kids.
    Last edited by not again; Aug. 24, 2009 at 08:45 PM.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

It really depends on the mare - conformation, temperament, jump. Personally, I wonder about breeding a Rubinstein mare for jumpers (or are you looking for an eventer?). It's not done in Europe, but perhaps the bottom part of her pedigree is more jumper-based? That said, if you're looking for a gray jumper stallion, just look to the Holsteiner Capitol line. There are so many gray stallions from this line, your head will spin. Karen Reid (Foxfire Farm) sells all the Holsteiner Verband stallions. You might want to contact her.

If you're really looking to make an eventer, I'd go to Hilltop's Riverman. Nice movers, very bold jumpers and level of athleticism you want for an eventer.

Take a look at Manhattan -- http://www.avalon-equine.com/mannhattan.html

My 2009 colt by him LOVES to jump (and he is a nice mover as well). I am very pleased with him. I bred my mare back to him and she is in foal with a full sibling for 2010. She took on first cover with both breedings and his owner, Kathy (equine-reproduction), is wonderful to work with.

Ironman is GOV, grey, throws good movement, was a Gran Prix horse and has alot of sucessful event offspring out there. He has a wonderful temperament, is ami- friendly and easy to train and ride-

Nancy
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by baywithchrome2 View Post
    It really depends on the mare - conformation, temperament, jump. Personally, I wonder about breeding a Rubinstein mare for jumpers (or are you looking for an eventer?). It's not done in Europe, but perhaps the bottom part of her pedigree is more jumper-based? That said, if you're looking for a gray jumper stallion, just look to the Holsteiner Capitol line. There are so many gray stallions from this line, your head will spin. Karen Reid (Foxfire Farm) sells all the Holsteiner Verband stallions. You might want to contact her.

If you're really looking to make an eventer, I'd go to Hilltop's Riverman. Nice movers, very bold jumpers and level of athleticism you want for an eventer.
    agreed, agreed, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by avadog View Post
    Torino isn't GOV he's BWP. I think there are some great jumper stallions, if you do go out of the registry I would go Hanoverian or Holsteiner. I like Ironman, he's GOV and a grey and he's had success in the show ring.
    Do you want a nice horse or a nice registry horse? Don't let registry restrict your choices. I second Torino and/or his son Equinox. The scope and the temperament come in a grey package. Torino's owner is great to deal with. Opinions here could be narrowed down if we could see the mare and her offspring. Got any pics?
    Dark Horse Farm

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

We have talked about Riverman's temperament on this board ad nauseum. The probability that he will throw a pro ride (to put mildly) is very high. I know there are Riverman offspring that are perfectly sane, but quite a few of them ARE not easy at all.

For that reason, if I were breeding for my teenaged daughter, I would stay far, far away from Riverman. (To be honest, I've only known one personally, and he was crazy.)

Do a search on Riverman, and you will see how often his temperament comes up in discussions.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I think the Riverman temperment thing is well known, I agree with vineyridge about the teenage daughter needed a better temperment. Everybody has their own taste but I really like the frontend of Ironman a lot better then the Torino/Equinox stallions. I also like that Ironman is a proven producer. I'm sure your daughter will be happy whomever you choose.

I think the Riverman temperment thing is well known, I agree with vineyridge about the teenage daughter needed a better temperment.
    I normally wouldn't recommend Riverman for a teenager either, but the mare is a Rubinstein, who are well-known for their super temperaments.

Everybody has their own taste but I really like the frontend of Ironman a lot better then the Torino/Equinox stallions.
    I don't know about Equinox, but I do know Torino very well. The sheer power and scope that the stallion has is awe-inspiring. Video does him no justice. He is super quick with his front end and almost always jumps clean. Top pros, including those who have competed at the very top of the international field, think he has all the necessary requirements to be a big time Sunday horse. There is a reason the Belgian judges said he was an "improved Heartbreaker" when they approved him back in 2003 and their is a reason they still seek him out and talk about him with reverence in their voice.

Personally, I raised a Torino son who was approved with the BWP this year with his new owners. Fidelio is very hunter-esque with his front end but has the powerful hind end of his father. Like Torino, he is very careful and hates to touch rails. And you could not ask him to be any more amateur friendly, even as a young stallion. Here's a pic from the BWP inspection.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2627/...1cb88129ec.jpg

Torino is one stallion I surely would not judge by a photo. Instead, I'd just look at the huge grin of the top pros who sit upon his back. That'll tell you all you need to know.

I have to chime in on Riverman. In the years when Riverman was at the peak of his popularity, he was breeding 125 mares per year. MANY, many, many of those mares were of poor quality. Hilltop and the Hasslers were very involved with the ISR, so many (the majority?) of his offspring were registered there. With that many foals born each year, they were all over the chart in quality and temperament. I've seen some horrible ones, but when I saw the mare they came out of, it explained a lot. I've also seen some good ones, who had great temperaments. Too many novice breeders have mares that they love, but should never be bred. They hope that breeding to a flashy stallion will fix all the mare's problems. It just doesn't work that way.
    Maryanne Nicpon
    Minglewood Sport Horses
    Ballston Spa, NY

Just wanted to throw out Edgar's young stallion, Baron Van Gogh. He is young, but comes from very well respected lines, and also has a very reasonable stud fee

http://www.rainbowequus.com/BaronVanGogh.htm

And I believe that he is going to the stallion testing this fall for Oldenburg approvals. Good luck finding your match