The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Brenderup Owners- Tack Storage???

Brenderup Owners- Can you help me decide? I'm looking at getting a trailer in the next few months, and really like the Brenderup for the ease of use, light weight, low maintenance, and all the other great features.

The only thing I am really having trouble with is which model to consider: Towing vehicle is no issue- I have plenty of power and towing capability with my van. I have one horse, 15.1hh. Occasionally Sierra's friend Oliver (17.2hh) would join us on a ride, otherwise it would just be her. The issue I am having is with the tack storage- I need plenty of room for two saddles- one of which is a western saddle. My western saddle is not light and is difficult enough to get in and out of the regular dressing/tack room on the trailer I currently use. Most of the use will be day trips to shows, but I also plan on going to longer shows that will require taking bales of hay and everything else required for an overnight trip. Storage in my vehicle is not an option because it is an RV configuration.

So Brenderup owners- What model do you have? What do you like/dislike about it? Any storage suggestions? Any other information is greatly appreciated- TIA!
    Last edited by mypaintwattie; Aug. 22, 2009 at 12:58 PM.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I own an older model Prestige that does not have a tack room. I usually haul hay, shavings and muck bucket in the front part of the trailer, and tack in the back of my minivan.
    I know the Royal model comes with a tack "room", which is really just some space in the front but it does have a double rack for 2 saddles.
    I love my Brenderup and would not trade it for any other bigger trailer, dressing room or not.

Mine had the little tiny tack area, and that was the only thing I hated about it. I had an S10 Blazer for hauling, so putting stuff in the back was no big deal, but when I got a pickup it was a little harder. Fortunately I mostly used to haul just one horse, so I kept a lot of stuff in big Rubbermaid bins in the other stall, secured with bungee cords and sometimes a large piece of 4x4 lumber.

You might think about mounting some hooks inside the trailer so you can strap/bungee down some boxes and bins.
    Click here before you buy.

I have the Baron TC model. It has plenty of room for tack and the compartment has two saddle racks. I can easily move my saddle in and out but it is a treeless that weighs less than 10 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by clm08 View Post
    I own an older model Prestige that does not have a tack room. I usually haul hay, shavings and muck bucket in the front part of the trailer, and tack in the back of my minivan.
    Ditto, except replace "minivan" with "cap-covered truck."

Quote Originally Posted by clm08 View Post
    I love my Brenderup and would not trade it for any other bigger trailer, dressing room or not.
    Double-double ditto!
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

I have a Royal, plenty of room for 2 saddles in the tack compartment. I put a bungee from the ceiling to the end of each saddle rack (using the after market eyehooks) to keep the saddles from sliding off the front of the pipe.
    The previous owner put in some eye hooks in front of the breast bar to secure hay bales for her camping trips.

Firstly, ditto what everyone else said. My "stuff" usually goes in the car. I do have saddle and bridle hooks in the front of my no-tack-room trailer (an older model that's equivalent in specs to the Royal), but I've never had occasion to use them.

That said, I don't see why you couldn't use your RV setup *to some degree* to transport. I find that when I go to a big show, most of the bulk is bagged shavings and hay. Both the shavings and the first hay bale go directly to the stall at the show, so they're out of the way almost immediately. In other words, the only time it would get in your way inside the RV would be on your way to the show.

FWIW, there is an eventer on our local circuit who goes to LOTS of 3 and 4 day shows with a Lexus RV (full of Pony Clubbers so minimal storage in there) and a Baron SL trailer. They do just fine. I just watched them unload that bad boy at the show this weekend, and they got a LOT of stuff out of there.

I adore my Baron One SL. It's the one with the tiny tackroom that slides into a little dressing room, complete with a bench to sit on. I can easily fit everything I need in the tiny tackroom (but I'm not inclined to carry a lot of clutter).

I could have used one more inch of width in the tackroom doorway to get my western saddle off the built-in saddle rack and through the tackroom door. One more inch would have made a difference.

Take your saddle with you when you shop and see if the tackroom has room for it.

I think the Baron One SL is the most clever, efficient trailer in the world; and I love it.

I have a Baron TC and have plenty of storage space. Like previous posters said, it has two saddle racks. The doors are large enough to accommodate saddles.
    Snowline Sport Horses
    http://www.snowlinesporthorses.com
    Breeder of Hanoverian horses

Baron TC. Lots of storage in the tack compartment. I currently have 3 saddles, 3 bridles, a small show trunk, toolbox, several sets of wraps, extra halters, 2 gallon jugs of water, buckets, rake, helmets, chaps... it's actually my tackroom, parked next to the wash rack until we get the barn built!

I've travelled with one horse and stacked bales of hay & bags of shavings on the other side of the divider.

The lid/roof on the tack compartment lifts up (when the horses aren't in the trailer) so you have a full, standing height tack/changing area.

Contact Brenderup and tell them where you are. They usually have customers who'll let you come and see the trailers. When I got mine, everyone at the barn had to climb inside, a few people even insisted on putting their horses in - before my own horses were ever inside! It made me laugh tho, because they were sure that their horse either wouldn't fit, or wouldn't go inside this "strange looking thing". Haha, they all walked right in!
    I have a 17h Irish gelding who fits just fine.

I have a 2004 Baron SLT - 2horse w/tack area and then the front wall slides back to the chest bar to give me a 6' 'dressing room' when it's unloaded and the top pops up like the previous poster. I don't slide it /open it up very often, but appreciate the option. It has a 2-place rack on the driver's side, 2 bridle/halter hooks and a blanket bar on the passenger side. I generally keep a small muck bucket in there, fork, broom, stack of water/grain buckets, first aid kit, tote of trailer 'stuff' - instant air, hitch lube, etc. I could easily put a couple of bales in there if I didn't already pack it with other stuff. For a weekend show, we usually had four horses (we also rode quadrille!), two trailers, two trucks, so hay and shavings usually went in one truck and show trunks went in another, with ladder, chairs, fans, etc.
    I have also had the 'theres no way my horse will fit...' comment but they all have so far - from the Icey to the Friesian to the 17+ warmblood.
    This is Brenderup #2 for me. Got in a wreck with #1 loaded with two horses and it got totalled (cracked walls, bent chestbar, slightly bent frame) -- horses walked away with bruised chests and one scrape on a forehead.

Thank you for the responses everyone, it looks like you can make it work. My local dealer is in Fallbrook, so one of these days when I get some time i'll head down and have a closer peek. I'm thinking one of the Barron models would work fine. I love hearing everything positive about them, and how well it held up in an accident!

It was in good enough shape post-crash that we hooked it to another truck to tow the ponies home rather than offload/reload on the highway. It was the insurance guy who later determined it was "totalled" based on the amt of damage. I'm just VERY happy everyone walked away with only minor damage, people included.

I can't top slpeders, but I did kill a vulture with my Brenderup Royal. The sucker was eating road kill and fly up as I was coming down hill. He didn't flap fast enough and got swept up over my Suburban and smashed into the trailer. The horse inside was not amused, but the Brenderup was fine.

Going back to the OP's question, I have a Royal T/C and I get lots of stuff in it. The Barron is slightly bigger and has a bit more space, but also costs more. For my purposes the back of the Suburban and the T/C work fine.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Slpeders, You don't have any pictures do you? I'd love to see them.

BTW, Oliver's and Sierra's browbands look amazing!

I have the Royal HB. My trailer is all open, so it feels larger than the ones that had a separate tack locker. I can carry all the stuff two people need while going on a trail ride. I can fit a bale of hay between the tack area and the chest bars.

I do keep some of the stuff in my Durango IF I am doing a longer outing like camping for the weekend. For day rides though, all tack, fly spray, etc, is in my trailer.

There is not a lot of space, but it forces you to stay organized and keep only the things you use. If I had a LARGE tack area, I would probably fill it up w/lots of crap I would never use, lol.

That said, I wish it had more room, but it really fits my needs wonderfully. I mostly haul to local trails for trail rides. I camp a few times each summer, and my Durango is able to hold a LOT of stuff.

I thought about getting the Baron, since it does have more storage. I could not justify the jump in price for what I do. If you camp or go for more than day rides, it may be worth it. For me, it wasnt. I am very happy w/my Royal

Good luck and enjoy your new trailer.

I have the Brenderup Royal TC and I adore it. I can get everything I need for trail rides in it. LOL My husband said if I had more room I would just junk it up with "stuff I didn't really need". It does make you be organized and choosy about what you take!

I have two western saddles and smx saddle pads, bridles, etc. Same stuff most people have and I was able to take all of it. I have never had to put anything in front of the breast bar but would if I needed too!

I love my Brenderup!