The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thank you to everyone! Your comments have definitely helped me!! Before I started this thread I was leaning towards Dev but honestly I have heard more favorable things about CWD so I will certainly look into them more seriously! Thx again!

Lets talk about the vet bills I got for my horse's crippled back, courtesy of the terribly fitting devoucoux saddle that was made specifically for him. And the Devoucoux people sent me a riser pad, saying "this should fix it."

I'm not a brand evangelist with many things, but you'd have to pry my CWD out of my cold dead hands. My horses appreciate it, too. And the reps, office, and owners are awesome. Fabulous customer service.

I loved my Devoucoux Socoa. It was pretty, its was comfortable, it fit my horse. Now 4 years later I really regret buying it. I took excellent care of my saddle but it now has a tear in the seat, the padding on one side of the saddle has compressed two inches and one flap has shifted forward about an inch. I rode so unevenly in it that I had to buy a new saddle. I refused to go custom this time and am very happy with the saddle I chose.

I had read all of the bad things about Dev. and kept saying "oh but that won't happen to my saddle" . But it did.

I've ridden in both and I bought the CWD. In the end I went for what my horse liked best and felt the best in. Also to my surprised- by choosing as such I was able to sit better/ have a more balanced ride. My CWD rep Julie was great and saddle arrived earlier then expected. I can also say that with-in less in 6 rides my saddle was broken in and looks great. I can also say that what the reps say about the saddle is not a sales pitch but more like truth,which I was shocked. You just have to try it.

Okay everybody, I just ordered the CWD!! I'm so excited, Thanks so much for everyones input!

Sounds like you don't need any more input, but in case someone else finds this useful, I'll post anyway. I have a Devoucoux Biarritz and a CWD dressage saddle, so I've dealt with both companies and had no problem with either's customer service. I've also ridden in a lot of CWD h/j saddles, and I personally like my Dev a little more - it's just more comfortable to me (and has fit most horses great - I haven't had the experience others have posted about with bad fit). The CWD's I've ridden in have narrower twists and slightly more, ah, "aggressive" pommels than my dev. They are both beautiful saddles though.

Congrats on your choice! I'm sure you're going to love your CWD.

Quote Originally Posted by letmroll View Post
    The CWD's I've ridden in have narrower twists and slightly more, ah, "aggressive" pommels than my dev. They are both beautiful saddles though.
    You can get both a wider twist and a less prominent pommel from CWD if that is your preference, I know because I opted for the wider twist.

After what Lucassb went through with Devocoux I would not give even a penny to a company that cares so little for its customers. There are too many other saddle makers with awesome customer service.

My cwd has a wider twist and the pommel is low or normal. To each their own. You'll love it. Many of my barn mates have tried my saddle and love it as well. Now they want one. I used to be a TC saddle lover and had one. But discovered that the narrowing of the tree was causing issues for both me and my horse.

turnandburn Guest

I LOVE my CWD! It is amazing how well my horse goes because the panels are well balanced and allow him to move is huge shoulder. The flexible tree points and the cut out for the scapula allow him to move freely. I also like that the stirrup bar placement. I am 5 foot 7 inches with long legs and a long femur (and weigh 117 lbs). FINALLY a saddle that puts my leg in a good natural position!!! It makes it SO much easier to keep my leg still!!!

Quote Originally Posted by turnandburn View Post
    I LOVE my CWD! It is amazing how well my horse goes because the panels are well balanced and allow him to move is huge shoulder. The flexible tree points and the cut out for the scapula allow him to move freely. I also like that the stirrup bar placement. I am 5 foot 7 inches with long legs and a long femur (and weigh 117 lbs). FINALLY a saddle that puts my leg in a good natural position!!! It makes it SO much easier to keep my leg still!!!
    Which model & features did you get? Also, does your horse have high/wide withers? deep shoulder slope? Just wondering if your horse is similar to mine.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain