The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff from brown boots: Getting helmet to fade

I have always loved the look of a faded black helmet. Is there any quick way to get a black helmet to fade? I never am able to keep one long enough for it to even get a chance to fade out to that beautiful brown. I have heard of spraying lemon juice on it. Would you recommend this? Any suggestions?

LOL, I was just contemplating starting this thread earlier. d; I put my black velvet helmet on a bench in my sun porch the other day, and I'm watching it like a boiling kettle!

just wear it. it's bad to let your helmets sit out in the sun all day, though, i've been told. we've got 2 main thermometers at my house. one measures what we feel outside, and one measures the heat of my roof from the sun. on a day where it might be 90, the roof can be 140 sometimes. think of your helmet roasting to 100+ degrees. think of all the glues or WHATEVER is inside there melting or at least changing to some degree.

to me, it's not worth my head ;P i'd like my hampton to fade a little, too, but i just expect that it will after wearing it enough in the sun. but i'd never leave it out for hours and hours in the direct sun.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Quote Originally Posted by superpony123 View Post
    just wear it. it's bad to let your helmets sit out in the sun all day, though, i've been told. we've got 2 main thermometers at my house. one measures what we feel outside, and one measures the heat of my roof from the sun. on a day where it might be 90, the roof can be 140 sometimes. think of your helmet roasting to 100+ degrees. think of all the glues or WHATEVER is inside there melting or at least changing to some degree.

to me, it's not worth my head ;P i'd like my hampton to fade a little, too, but i just expect that it will after wearing it enough in the sun. but i'd never leave it out for hours and hours in the direct sun.
    I agree. Its not worth my head. Thats why I thought the lemon juice might work. People put it in their hair to get highlights, why not on a helmet? I just want some reassurance before hand so I dont ruin my helmet.

Yup- helmets left out in the sun for a long time or out in a hot car should be thrown out. Extreme heat can destroy the glue, and more importantly cause the foam to start degrading. If the foam is degraded, it will compress too fast when you hit the ground, and not absorb as much of the impact as it should.

ETA: I always thought the way lemon juice worked was that you put it on and then went out in the sun and your hair bleached faster than it would have otherwise? Not that it works if you do it in the bathroom?

Has anyone tried hydrogen peroxide?

Won't you be at all embarrassed if you get caught cheating?

I do avoid leaving my helmet in the car or anyplace really hot, but figured in the sun on my otherwise cool porch might be okay--it doesn't get hot, just sunny. I admit that it's cheating, but I actually don't like that particular helmet much and was hoping it would look cooler once it turned brownish. d;

Quote Originally Posted by PennyChrome View Post
    Won't you be at all embarrassed if you get caught cheating?
    Alright, color me clueless - what do you mean?

As for me, I actually hate the look of non-black helmets, but to each his own!

You've gotta earn it

Quote Originally Posted by Trees4U View Post
    You've gotta earn it

i know a girl who sat hers on top of a fence post for like a week and it faded really nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Trees4U View Post
    You've gotta earn it
    agreed!

and also agree that you shouldn't leave your hat out in the sun or in a hot car! foam/glue/whatnot breaks down at those temps, so your helmet might not do its job if you fall. i go to the barn straight from work, and you better believe that the GPA comes in the office with me on sunny days and doesn't get left in the car!

MEMORIES....

One of the first threads I ever remember reading on COTH was entitled "How do I fade my Patey?" Asking a very similar question. The OP got PILED on for asking if she could fade her helmet with lemon juice, leaving it in the back of the car.

Carry on... but it's funny how some things change (unapproved helmets) and other don't (wanting the look of a worn helmet without the time lapse).
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by spmoonie View Post
    I agree. Its not worth my head. Thats why I thought the lemon juice might work. People put it in their hair to get highlights, why not on a helmet? I just want some reassurance before hand so I dont ruin my helmet.
    Go on ebay and buy a cheap black velvet helmet (there are new Troxels for $25 or less) then do the lemon juice experiment. That way you can see if it works before you try it on your nice show helmet

I have no experience with the newer hats with this, but we were always trying to fade our helmets when I was a kid. It seemed like it depended on the brand and the lot much more than what you did to it. Some faded with regular wear and some faded if you left them sitting on a fence post for a week or so (and some disappeared that way too!). I remember trying different things to get them to bleach out, but nothing ever got the hat to a "cool" color unless it just happened to be the "right" hat/lot.

Good luck!

It has to be real velvet to fade. I think back in the day it was the Lexington caps that would fade and not the other brand, International.

I wouldn't recommend lemon juice or peroxide as it will most likely cause an uneven fade or just bleach it way to much ahha! Also, as others have mentioned, the sun does some major destruction to helmet materials so I wouldn't recommend that either.

Have you thought about buying a brown helmet? I like the faded look to and was thinking of buying the brown CO Hampton until I actually tried it on and didn't like it at all.
    BeesKnees
    Hunters should be galloping - George Morris

Thanks guys. Ive actually been spraying my helmet for a few days now with the lemon juice. Its not really doing anything. One problem is that I ususally ride late in the afternoon, after the sun has started going down.

Most days this summer, I rode all day long. I put my helmet on at 9am and didn't take it back off until the evening, just because I'm too lazy to take my helmet off in between ponies. The point is, how is wearing it all day long different than setting it in the sun? I'm not saying leaving it in the sun is a good idea, just asking if wearing it the same length of time is just as bad as leaving it out. Also, after all the wear I put on my helmet, it still has yet to fade and I'm pretty excited about that actually.

BTW, I spray my hair a lot with lemon juice to keep it light. However, my hair is blonde, not black velvet. lol Not sure I see how anyone thought that would actually work...