The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Identity Crisis - which show name?

Showing for the first time this weekend (after a few years off). Under a new trainer...really a whole new world has opened before us and I feel like we are starting fresh. Haven't really shown much before - just maybe 4-5 times in the 7 years I've owned him - so not like any particular name has already been associated with him. Need to choose a show name for here on forward.

Horse is a 17hh Trakehner gelding, seal bay, 4 whites and off center star, stripe and snip. Showing in 2'6 hunters.

Okay...here are the options.

Fiore's Pillion (registered name - never shown under this)

Ariston (Story: My first horse's reg. name was Up for Breakfast...idea was Ariston means "breakfast" in Greek to keep the theme going...shown once or twice as this.)

Show of Hands (SO came up with this name after years of vets, etc got him through EPM...also b/c he's 17hh. Shown twice as this.)

Lincoln Park (just a show name I've always liked - could be the start of a new chapter.)

I like Ariston. Have fun at the show!

LOL - I vote you go for Identity Crisis!

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    Oh that is hilarious! Didn't even cross my mind. But so fitting!!! We'll add that as a strong possibility to the list...

I like Identity Crisis also
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I really prefer to show horses under their registered names unless they are ridiculous, so I would go with that. Its respectful to the breeder (especially if there is some sort of prefix or identifier).

I'm a huge fan of using the registered name unless it's completely AWFUL (Prom Dress, Half Hearted, Ho Boy)

That said I love Identity Crisis and vote for that since you've already used a few different names for him.

We had an unregistered WB cross that my sister came up with LISTS of names for but since she kept on changing her mind and the trainer was the one who always did the entry forms, he just kept going out as Spenser (barn name) and after a year of showing that way, it stuck.

That's so funny, I thought the same thing when I read the heading. Another vote for Identity Crisis, LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I really prefer to show horses under their registered names unless they are ridiculous, so I would go with that. Its respectful to the breeder (especially if there is some sort of prefix or identifier).
    The breeder actually attends the shows I've been to and was a judge at one of them! LOL. So she knows I don't show him as his registered name - but then again, neither did she when she showed him in hunter breeding! He was just "Pillion" then...which was his barn name...which also incidently got changed immediately by my trainer when I got him.

So...perhaps indeed...Identity Crisis seems fitting!

AND considering the show nerves I have right now - and that is the only thing that has made me smile all day...I'm going to go with it!! Off to order the brass name plate! LOL!

That was my thought, too! I love it!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Well, I'm the only one so far to go for "Show of Hands". . .but I am a Rush fan (the band, not the radio guy). It's the name of one of their albums (well, actually, it's A Show Of Hands, but you get the point).

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Well, I'm the only one so far to go for "Show of Hands". . .but I am a Rush fan (the band, not the radio guy). It's the name of one of their albums (well, actually, it's A Show Of Hands, but you get the point).
    Hahaha - I actually held off breeding this year since this is the "K" year and I'm waiting till next year "L" since I want to name a foal Limelight so badly!

I'd vote for Identity Crisis or Show of Hands.

Re the registered name: How many ways do you figure an announcer could mis-pronounce it? Yeah.......not a great choice. Unless you really want to show as "Firey Pill.....uh.....um"
    Incredible Invisible

Thumbs up Identity Crisis --- tooo coool

IDENTITY CRISIS ~~ is soo cool !!!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I like identity crisis ariston is okay too.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Ha ha - when I saw the beginning of the thread, I thought why not call him Identity Crisis - even before I saw how many others felt the same

great minds think alike !

I thought "show of hands" was really clever, especially cause he's tall.. Identity Crisis seems negative to me... its like naming a horse Personality Disorder or something, I dunno... JMHO
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

Show of Hands
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    Oh please. Respectful to the breeder? Give me a break. And unless this is a breed show, where a zealous effort to "respect the breeder" has produced delightful names like "Zippo Pine Lady's Little Tramp Whooza Humpin' Wanderin' Bo-Jack Surprise", go with a name you like that fits the horse. That said, I actually like the name Pillion. Works better without the Fiore.
    Better than most regular sheeps.

My vote is on "Show of Hands" -- wish I had thought of that one!