The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Corta flex and Corta flex rx

Does any one know the main difference between these 2,besides the (gulp) price.
    mm

Concentration (ie active ingredient per measurement unit) - at least that is what I have been told by the company.

so does that mean if my mare is getting 1/2 of rx then 1 oz of the regular corta flex should do.She has mild arthritis in 1 fetlock and i want to do the best for her to keep her comfortable in her job.Mind you she has never had a lame day in her life,just a little shortness in her stride some times.Now that i know what is causing it,i want her comfortable.She is now wearing magnetic ankle "bracelet's" at night.
    mm

Corta-Rx is double the strength of regular Corta-Flx, except for the HA which is the same (40 mg/serving).

I don't know about the magnetic "bracelets." Haven't had any luck with them myself. I like Sore-No-More for a topical.

My chiropractor has changed to only recommending the Rx, I haven't tried it yet, although they swear that there is a visable difference in the same horse within a months time.
    I do use magnetics both hock and ankle and can see a difference in how they come out of the stalls in the morning, with/without.

I have used the Rx with great success. The specific one I used a friend that works at a veterinary supply company get for me, as I can't seem to find it (and she gets it at cost!).

The Rx I used had 100 mg HA per HALF ounce, so the quart containers last almost 2 months. Not that bad of a deal, price wise.

The only one that I can seem to find is the one with 40 mg HA per ounce and the regular Cortaflx with no HA.

I should try the regular, to see if it actually was the HA working on this particular horse, or if it was the pain killing properties.

thanks for all of the replies.I can get the regular corta flex at cost,so will go with that for now and see how things go.We have about 2 more weeks of the rx left,will then switch over.
    mm

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Corta-RX contains Devil's Claw and yucca. Because of the Devil's Claw, it is not legal to use while showing under USEF rules. However, if you are not showing, Devil's Claw and yucca are natural anti-inflammatories. They are contained in the supplement BL-Solution (used to be Bute-Less) which is meant to be an easy-on-the-stomach, NSAID-less anti-inflammatory.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
    Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

we will be showing ( i hope)..........
    mm

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Corta-RX contains Devil's Claw and yucca. Because of the Devil's Claw, it is not legal to use while showing under USEF rules. However, if you are not showing, Devil's Claw and yucca are natural anti-inflammatories. They are contained in the supplement BL-Solution (used to be Bute-Less) which is meant to be an easy-on-the-stomach, NSAID-less anti-inflammatory.
    Depends on which one. I have fed a Corta-RX powder that does not contain either devils claw or yucca.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Depends on which one. I have fed a Corta-RX powder that does not contain either devils claw or yucca.
    Yes, important distinction. Corta-Rx 100 contains devil's claw, yucca (these will test) and has 100 mg HA per serving. I had one horse develop ulcers on it.

Regular Corta-Flx Rx is a double-strength version of regular Corta-Flx, with the addition of 40 mg HA per serving.

Both are great products.
    Last edited by LarkspurCO; Aug. 25, 2009 at 02:18 AM.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Yes, important distinction. Corta-Rx 100 contains devil's claw, yucca (these will test) and has 100 mg HA per serving. I had one horse develop ulcers on it.

Regular Corta-Rx is a double-strength version of regular Corta-Rx, with the addition of 40 mg HA per serving.

Both are great products.
    I did not know that. Learn something new every day!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
    Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.