The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink Jumping Clinic with George Morris PRACTICAL HORSEMAN opinions please

What do you think of all the riders in the september edition?
    Number 3? Number 4?

Do you agree with his opinion or what would you change?
    Last edited by ponyhunter62; Aug. 21, 2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Did not think the question was suitable enough.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I think he pretty much called it like it is, although a horse in a hunter trials, as #4 appears to be, will probably be a little sweaty towards the end of his course. Why do you ask? What do YOU disagree with?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I agree about the sweat on the third super cute horse. It is hard to tell if the rider could have taken care of that. Other than that, I didn't see anything off with what he said. And I got the conformation clinic all CORRECT! yay!

OK, did not see the photos, have not taken that mag for years now but can assume what was said...he remarked the horse was somewhat disheveled due to sweat?

It's not like it's a secret the guy is ultra picky and the picture anybody sends in will be seen by several hundred thousand people who expect him to say something about any little scruffy spot or speck. Probably be disappointed if he did not point it out or think he was losing it.

One should pick out the best photo possible keeping that in mind. One also should offer no excuses if he notes that scruffy spot or speck-that's what the man does.

Also doubt anybody is going to second guess what he said and go off to another train wreck based on a post from one with 5 posts.

Can we go onto something less controversial? Like Parrelli?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Haha! If the "sweat issue" becomes controversial, people who make it that need to get a life. I thought it was a discussion.

I agree with both critiques, what do you have a problem with?

"the rider is very well turned out but it bothers me that more effort has gone into her turnout than that of her horse, who is unbraided and sweaty." If the horse were braided and shinier he would not say anything about the horse sweating but he is wondering if the horse is sweating because it is unfit (the assumption that poor turnout might also come hand in hand with poor conditioning).

He has commented on a sweating horse in another clinic, saying that the horse is sweating on an obviously very hot day but the rest of the turnout is perfect.

I thought he was right on. The horse he refers to as "sweaty" looks like it maybe has some dried sweat on its shoulder and chest, which would indicate that it occurred earlier and was not brushed or sponged off. Personally, if my horse had enough time between classes for the sweat to dry, I'd make sure to clean it off before going back in. I'll admit to being a stickler for good turnout-my 4-H kids all know that! There are two things that good turnout says about you as a horseman-you respect your horse and what he does for you; your trainer; and yourself enough to put every possible effort into your class, and you are probably more conscientious about other aspects of your horse's care. When someone comes to a show on a rough-looking, half-groomed horse with a long stringy mane and its hooves unpolished, I have to wonder what kind of care that horse routinely gets at home.

I agree with his critique of the riders as well. If I was the 4th rider's 4-H leader, I would not have her enter O/F classes until she's more secure. I admire her desire and fearlessness, but right now she should be working on that at home. Rider #3 was much more secure and right now has a better seat.

I think it's important, too, that his comments about a horse not being well kept are not only to look nice. He has said that having a well groomed horse means that you are attentive to their health and well being, which is paramount. The same with tack. Having clean tack means having safe tack.

Good point too, about the lack of conditioning thing. I hadn't thought of that. I don't always pay too close attention to his critiques, but I must say, I think that little horse is adorable.