The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Durasole Vs Keratex

ok, would like opinions on which is better at helping a sole toughen up. I have my horse on the paddock with hoof boots b/c his shoes won't stay on.(extremely Wet summer and brittle walls). If he is BF he is sore, trying to keep an eye on thrush and also allowing his feet to air out every other day. I have Keratex and have been using it. I just ordered Durasole. Has anyone tried both of these products, and if so, which do you think works better for helping a horse feel better? Once the feet grow a new wall, i can decide what to do, but in the meantime, i want him to feel better.

Durasole for the sole and frog. Keratex for the wall. Durasole works best on a dry foot. Also costs a lot less than Keratex and works much faster.

thanks

My farrier has me using crossapol, which is for walls and soles.

Keratex did not work on my WB or on my TB mare.

LifeDataLabs Hoof Disinfectant made their hooves very hard and nice.

I think different products work on different horses and so try them for a period of time to see which works for your horse(s).

Durasole did not make a dent in my horse's very tender soles, even when applied 5x per week for two weeks. Perhaps because we live in such a humid (read: dew) climate? His feet were quite dry when I applied the product. Even Venice Turpentine did more for him than Durasole.

Better results for this horse with Keratex.

I have used both. If you are dedicated enough to do the Keratex as instructed (I think every day for two weeks, then every other day for two weeks, then twice a week after that) it works great. The only thing about Keratex is you cannot get it on the frog or coronet band.

Durasole didn't do a lot for my guys tender feet, but it was a huge help with the thrush he got during our wet season.

Bottom line, I keep both on hand depending on what I need. Tender feet = keratex, thrush or stinky feet = durasole.