The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default One.step.closer.

I've known my plain brown 2 1/2 year gelding ever since he was a size 42 follicle on his dam's right ovary. I have just returned from a hunt members house watching him being ridden- what fun. This friend is perfect for starting a young horse. The gelding needs to do two things in life- trail ride and fox hunt. Every horse I've owned and fox hunted was an accidental hunter- they just ended up being good ones. This one is targeted so of course the pressure (hope) is huge!

My friend said the gelding has been awesome, laid back and taken the work and new farm in stride. He asked me if I had done imprinting on him at birth and I giggled. I said don't insult the well known imprint people but I had done everything to him (but ride him) by the time he was 2 months old that I would expect from him as an adult. I'm a one woman operation so I introduced the hard stuff when my stamina is still greater then the foals.

So all those hours of ponying him on trails, being a clutz and dropping, banging things right beside him in the barn and field, firing a .48 right beside him, leaving him tied for an hour or two, may be paying off.

And while I hoped he would inherit some of his palomino dam's purty chrome or the jet black of his stud, a plain brown horse on hunting morning sure will be easy to prepare.

Isn't it exciting? You're youngster sounds like he'd be more worldly than some adult horses I know! Awesome job of working with him when he's young....it pays off tremendously.

My mare had the same (minus the gunshot exposure....I live in suburbia...the neighbors might get a little concerned ) type of life lessons learned as a baby and she is the best, easiest, most fun horse to take anywhere! (She's an 8 year old now)

She is a super field horse, and yes, that was a completely accidental discovery.

Good luck with the young one!

Thanks Daatj! The reason for firing the pistol near him is because, at times, blanks are fired in the hunt field. And we do have gunshot out here in the boonies when folks target practice.

5chestnuts- good luck with the 4 white legs! One gelding I use to hunt was all white. Grrrr. He lived in a turnout sheet during the two years he hunted.

So far the reports have been positive from boot camp.