The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Birds of a Feather Guest

Default H/J or Event barns in Central NY with Schoolies?

Cross-posted from Eventing, hoping to actually get some input!

Just what the title says - looking for a barn to take some jumping lessons at that has lesson horses. My gelding doesn't have the legs for jumping and while I rode IHSA for three years in college I had 8 years of dressage under my belt before that so lets just say I wasn't great at it. Looking to learn how to jump well so that in my next life I can do jumpers, eventing, or hunt. TIA for any recommendations you may have!

Well, of course I have to suggest Sanctuary Stables in Cazenovia (www.SanctuaryStables.com). Nice facility, nice lesson horses, indoor arena, heated barn, etc.

CNY is a big area...if you aren't near Caz, my other suggestions would be If Only Farm (www.ifonlyfarm.com) in Freeville/Ithaca area, Heritage Farm in Skaneateles (I don't think they have a website?) or maybe check www.syracusepha.org if none of these suggestions are near you.

Good luck!
    ILOVERMONT

GoldStandard Guest

I'll second the recommendation for If Only Farm, it's a great place to learn. Their lesson horses pretty much cover the spectrum from "up-down" packers to nice eq horses. I boarded there while in college and was always very happy with the quality of care and training. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldStandard View Post
    I'll second the recommendation for If Only Farm, it's a great place to learn. Their lesson horses pretty much cover the spectrum from "up-down" packers to nice eq horses. I boarded there while in college and was always very happy with the quality of care and training. Good luck!
    Oh, FUN!!! Memories of there! I was the barn manager/head slave and kept my horses there while I was an undergrad (think late 80s). I worked there for about 4 years. :-) Sue is great.

Affinity Farm in Skaneateles
    www.affinityfarminc.com

Claire Affleck Training (Skaneateles Equestrian Center)
    www.claireafflecktraining.com

Canterbury Stables (Cazenovia)
    www.canterburystablesny.com
    *We tolerate behaviors in human beings that would horrify us if we saw them in a horse.*
    R.I.P El Salvador*
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]