The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trail Trials, Competative trail riding, etc...

I have just become interested in these disciplines but am a bit confused. Is there a difference between them? I am in Calif. and recently joined the ACTHA, but am curious about all the others. Thanks in advance!
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

Here's a link to ETI's trail trials http://www.etinational.com/trailtrials.html

I have never done a CTR, but I did do a trail trial several years ago, and bought my current horse with trail trials in mind. Basicly, they're a 2-3 hour ride at the walk, maybe with a bit of trotting if you like. I did about 10 obstacles: walking through mud, a tunnel, backing up, getting off the horse and putting some trash in a trash can, riding quietly past a birthday party, that's all I remember. It's a lot of fun if you like to take things slow. I sure someone here can explain what a CTR involves.

We're doing our first trail trial in Oct.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by gubbyz View Post
    I have just become interested in these disciplines but am a bit confused. Is there a difference between them? I am in Calif. and recently joined the ACTHA, but am curious about all the others. Thanks in advance!

Its confusing because pretty much all of the CTR orgs. are very different (like for instance NATRC is the one that includes obstacles and horsemanship judging- most others don't- there is NATRC in Calif.) and then there are trail trials which is a whole different thing.

So you'd really just have to find the website for each group and study what the rules are for that particular group.

I'm signed up for two ACTHA rides - 9/26 in middle TN and 10/31 in east TN. I hope it is fun, with enough turnout to keep things busy.

I used to do a lot of NATRC. They are probably the oldest cometitive trail ride organizations.

NATRC rides begin Friday evening and run through Sunday afternoon in most rides. Open riders will cover about 50 miles during that ride. Or about 25 miles each day. (Novice riders will cover about 40 miles or 18-20 miles per day)

They have two judges. One a vet who focuses on the horse. The second judge is a Horsemanship judge who focuses mainly on the rider's horsemanship skills.

Judging covers all aspects of a weekend trail ride. Camping and caring for the horse in camp, riding the horse around both natural and human obsticles, and conditioning. It's a great sport. You can find more info, a calendar of rides and helpful tips for competing on their website at www.natrc.org