The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default excessive water drinking

So, how much is considered excessive for a horse that is stabled during the day for about 8 hours??? My horse comes in for morning feed and literally downs 2 full buckets of water, then the past few days even downs 1-2 more. Took him out of his stall yesterday pm and he literally pulled me over to the filled water buckets out in the aisle. The past week has been quite hot and humid - so a slight increase in water consumption should be expected but he is drinking alot more then other horses in the barn. I have seen him drink in the outside water trough - just not sure how much. Any idea? And yes he does have access to a salt block - but doesn't seem to be obsessive about it.

Is there any increased or decreased urination? How old is the horse? How is the behavior? Any weakness?

Perhaps I am being overly sensitive right now because of Dumplin', but we had the same thing happen. But it happened with the onset of VERY ugly hot weather, which disguised the fact that things were going south with my sweet old man.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I might run this by a vet. That seems a bit excessive. Just give your vet a call and ask him/her. I have heard drinking a lot and peeing a lot as an indicator of possible cushings.

Default 1st sign of cushingnoid laminitis attack in Willie

My Arab Willie (who had two surgeries in a week) started drinking and urinating excessively. It was the first symptom of a laminitis attack possibly brought on by Cushings and the stress from the two surgeries. I would also suggest a vet call, especially if your horse has any of the other symptoms of Cushings.
    Last edited by eventgroupie2; Aug. 21, 2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: dumb spelling mistake
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Check with your vet. I had a 2 yo boarded here for a few months who drank and drank and drank. The vet said it could be something or it could be nothing. Eventually, I heard she had to be euthanized. Aparently initial test had come home clear, and further tests would have cost a lot of money...

Definitely odd.

I know someone who's gelding did this when on a supplement with paprika in it (Black as Knight specifically). He would drink buckets, then pee buckets.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

After a long, dry summer, the grass can be all eaten down and just weeds and clover, esp. alsike (sp) clover, can remain and if lot of it is consumed can be toxic.

I spoke to the vet a little while ago, she told me that if he is not drinkikng that much outside and 15-18 gallons inside that it is not that abnormal - but we are going to try to monitor him more outside over the weekend.
    He acts fine otherwise, his stall is not overly wet, rode him today without issues, no excessive sweating, cool/warm to touch, no tenting of his skin. He's 5y/o - already on a low carb diet with Remission ( he's a very bulky Mustang).
    So hopefully with the help of the other boarders over the weekend we can see if he is drinking alot outside - i'm also going to take him back out tomorrow am and see if he willngly drinks.