The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default wanted to share my "beam" with those who get it

Last night I made it to the barn a bit late for my lesson (unexpected snow squalls!) to find Ted dancing at the gate, wet, with shavings stuck all over him (he had obviously rolled and coated himself like shake and bake when he came in for dinner). So we decided to long rein as this helps him really utilize his hind end and the surcingle wouldn't have been problematic as would a saddle pad (ah, the joys of turnout in inclement weather).

I've been gaining mastery, although I am still a novice, and was thrilled to be able to do some basic stuff pretty well. But even better, my trainer started doing more difficult work with my horse. Not only was I able to see and understand for myself what she was doing, but why, but I could see my horse gain greater understanding and confidence, and the changes in his posture and balance and movement were just ...wonderful.

So..I drove to the barn worried I'd have to turn around and drive back because of weather, and it ended up being one of the best lessons we've ever had.

But try and explain this to those who don't quite get how seeing your horse's back swing and you at the other end of the reins and not in the saddle can make you so happy!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Such a happy thread!
    I am thrilled to be able to share your beam. Always a thrill to find satisfaction without the saddle.

Beaming here in SC!

Making strides with my mare as well. Gaited horse doing dressage. Going to a clinic for gaited horses next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtrailrider View Post
    Beaming here in SC!

Making strides with my mare as well. Gaited horse doing dressage. Going to a clinic for gaited horses next weekend.
    Mustang, Pls tell us about your clinic! I am a TWH fan (used to lease one) and a dressage rider. How is it going w your mare?

Talking

Wendi it must have been our inspiring conversation re: Cyber Monday that made it such a good night. Mr.Ted has ESP and knows he has presents coming I'm glad you had a fantastic night!

I'm glad you got the "beam" and had the chance to see what you need to feel. It is such an inspiring feeling when that happens. There have been times when my jaw has just dropped as that warm feeling filled me.

I know where you're coming from and I am so happy you had that moment.
    Beth

Beam on! It thrills to me to see my boy move well (especially with all his soundess issues...)
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

I love wacthing! wow that sound dirty....

But I so understand where you are coming from! love to long rein....

You go girl!

Thanks for the "beam" ~ brightened my day ~ aren't you glad you went to the barn !!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I am going to a dressage clinic for those interested in dressage at nwha shows and at open shows. My mare is doing great with her dressage. We now have an even 3 beat canter. She is balanced in her gaiting, a rack I believe. We are doing all sorts of patterns, transitions, etc. She is overall a lot of fun.

We are working on jumping as well.

Mare is a lot of fun. We are beaming as is Geek.

Yay, Wendi! What a great post!

You doubted Ted's ability to sit down and look manly in leather? Tsk Tsk.

It's good we did what we did last night - tonight there was ICE where the puddles had been. I know the actual temp was below 30, not sure what the windchill was, but I think my eyelashes were freezing. I put Ted in the indoor to move him around and his response was, "ARE YOU FREAKING NUTS?"

I think I have to get acclimated...I only had on 4 layers.
    www.specialhorses.org

Hmmm ... I think I'm going to have to find out more about this long-reining business - it sounds too cool (and too useful) to miss!

Yeah, and it was 27 degrees at my house at noon today. Noon!!! Brrrrr. (it's that old Canadian Arctic air they send down the Fraser valley every year - along with the annual Thanksgiving invasion! Moosecicles!)
    www.moranequinephoto.com
    "If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom."
    Byron

I can't say enough in support of it - there is so much you can do for your horse, without them having to deal with a rider. Everything we do long reining helps our saddle work enormously!
    www.specialhorses.org

I really want to learn to long-rein. I'm also in the process of learning to teach a horse to lunge-somehow that got skipped in my 14-year-old's education.

I have worked with him on the ground with things like tarps and my friend's ginormous pilates ball, just to work on trust and his fear issues, and it has been absolutely amazing. I thought i was going to burst into happy tears the first time he decided he'd rather be with me on the other side of the big scary tarp than to stay on his sid all alone while the tarp monster ate me up!

Isn't it great! I just started lunging my horse again and all of a sudden we've taken it to another level where we can get the beginning of collection and extension on the lunge with him really coming through
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Happy Sunshine and Rainbows Geek@! It's always a pleasure to read your posts when you and Ted have made a connection.

As far as gaited horses doing dressage, my mare is learning, but Lord have mercy, she is a freight train and now that she knows forward, we are having to learn brakes again. It's exciting to see how much progress she has made over the past year and I am humbly grateful for every small step in our progress.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Default books, DVDs? for long lining

I was looking at books and DVDs for teaching long lining. Can anyone recommend any in particular?
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    I was looking at books and DVDs for teaching long lining. Can anyone recommend any in particular?
    I have a really good one. I can't think of the title right now, but I will go through my horsie library and let you know
    Beth

yes please let us know of some web sites or books - I do alot of lounge work with my mustang. My trainer has done some long line work ( and I have a set) so it would be nice to continue with the work

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    Last night I made it to the barn a bit late for my lesson (unexpected snow squalls!) to find Ted dancing at the gate, wet, with shavings stuck all over him (he had obviously rolled and coated himself like shake and bake when he came in for dinner). So we decided to long rein as this helps him really utilize his hind end and the surcingle wouldn't have been problematic as would a saddle pad (ah, the joys of turnout in inclement weather).

I've been gaining mastery, although I am still a novice, and was thrilled to be able to do some basic stuff pretty well. But even better, my trainer started doing more difficult work with my horse. Not only was I able to see and understand for myself what she was doing, but why, but I could see my horse gain greater understanding and confidence, and the changes in his posture and balance and movement were just ...wonderful.

So..I drove to the barn worried I'd have to turn around and drive back because of weather, and it ended up being one of the best lessons we've ever had.

But try and explain this to those who don't quite get how seeing your horse's back swing and you at the other end of the reins and not in the saddle can make you so happy!

Fantastic!! All your work and effort paying off!
    I love watching long reining but know next to nothing about it. Now I am going to go do some research! Sounds like your horse really benefited from it