The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses, storms and Murphys Law

Arrrgggh!
    So I am on my way home from work. There is a tornado warning....and the sky sure looks like that is possible. I fly into the driveway,still in white work duds and dress shoes grab the feed bucket and bang for the horses to come in. Now these would be the same critters that no matter HOW much green grass there is will ALWAYS come flying for the feed bucket. Today? Nope. They do mosey on over.....as slowly as I have ever seen them move. I meet them part way and start tugging on halters to get them to move faster (as I see the lightning getting closer and louder......) and they just get balky at that and if at all possible move even slower.

...and then by the time you get them all in, the storm is over

...and you are thoroughly soaked!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    Proud mama to Skier's Gold and pony angels Pretty Gritty, Timely Eagle and Festive Fashion.

happens everytime......and if the forcast is calling for a storm and you leave them in-nothing happens

Yup, did that a couple of weeks ago. Nasty nasty t-storm headed our way, skies getting black, wind tossing things around, supposed to be heavy rain and wind and hail, so I put hay in stalls, get water buckets filled, brought ponies in.

And.....nothing. Not even a raindrop.

Last night, the storm cell was directly over us...we were watching the news as they were tracking it at the street level, and saw our street on the map. We had opted to keep the horses out in case of tornado - I looked outside expected to see them huddled in the overhang attached to the barn...nope, all four of them outside, in the big pasture, grazing happily in the high speed winds and torrential down pours. I swear I could read their minds "hey, this is great - cool weather, no bugs..."

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Mine don't want to be in in hurricanes. Blizzards, sure. Rain in July, Absolutely. But not super-high winds.

I sort of figure they know something I don't... I worry about blowing objects, but I suppose THEY worry about the barn going...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

It's actually best to leave horses turned OUT during tornadoes and hurricanes and such. That way you don't risk them being trapped in stalls or barn with them caving in around them. They are pretty sensitive and savvy and while move from a tree snapping before it comes down. Out in the open is best ...
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Mine only use the field shelters to escape the sun...They find a low spot and stand with their heads down during torrential downpours.

the reason I am not comfortable with turning out in tornados or hurricanes is the flying debris.
    Metal roofs flying off and slicing then in half.
    Of course if your barn is not solid, then turn out would seem best. If you have a solid barn, then in seems preferable...at least to me.
    Its a tough call, and either way risky. Only you can decide what is best.

Its a crapshoot either way.

I never have to worry about mine. I have a little paint mare who swears by all that is holy that rain is evil and will melt her into a puddle of red and white. At the FIRST drop of rain she runs as fast as she can for the shelter and, lucky for me, brings the boys with her. She will NOT go back out until the storm has passed.

It's really hilarious. I'll be inside and will hear the thunder of hooves.....and then the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    the reason I am not comfortable with turning out in tornados or hurricanes is the flying debris.
    Metal roofs flying off and slicing then in half.
    Of course if your barn is not solid, then turn out would seem best. If you have a solid barn, then in seems preferable...at least to me.
    Its a tough call, and either way risky. Only you can decide what is best.

Its a crapshoot either way.
    It's the lightning that worries me......our barn is a stone bank barn but the roof if probably the weak spot there in terms of a tornado.