The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default it's like kudzu and the news day must be slow...video uplink

so we planted a tiny bit of pumpkins (8 ac)...a field count today put
    the number at just under

wait for it...

5,000.......gasp

wanna buy some pumpkins ???

video here:

and yes that woman is yours truly

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story...=97486&catid=2
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Sep. 1, 2009 at 09:57 AM.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Cool! Now you just have to find and hire some help to get those puppies out of the field....

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    Cool! Now you just have to find and hire some help to get those puppies out of the field....
    all six of my full time guys have said that they will be sick "that day"

"that day???" says me, "Lord we'll be there three weeks"
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Aug. 20, 2009 at 06:41 PM.
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Man, we planted ONE Rouge vif d'Etampes and have already harvested and eaten one small pumpkin. There's a monster one harvested, another monster one growing, two small ones growing, and I'm about to start experimenting with stuffed pumpkin blossoms!
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by ambar View Post
    Man, we planted ONE Rouge vif d'Etampes and have already harvested and eaten one small pumpkin. There's a monster one harvested, another monster one growing, two small ones growing, and I'm about to start experimenting with stuffed pumpkin blossoms!
    Oooh!
    I bought those seeds and never did plant them this year.
    Comination of weather & procrastination...
    But nest year, look out!

Try stuffing the blossoms with seasoned ricotta cheese, or goat cheese - you can do the egg wash, bread crumb thing or just pinch the ends closed and saute nekkid. They are yummy!
    You can also just slice the blossoms themselves and saute in oil w/garlic and serve over pasta.
    They taste faintly of whatever squash you have. : 9
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I remember a few years back that there was a pumpkin shortage due to a cool, wet summer in the NE--maybe you've got a gold mine out there in that field, and you just don't know it yet!! I've heard (snort!) that it's been a bit wet over yonder this summer...

I planted two Atlantic Giant pumpkin plants in my fish-pond-turned-manure-depository-garden and I've got 7 monsters slowly turning orange. Good thing I love to carve them and that I've got 5 nieces and nephews who are garden free!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

What the hell, I must really suck at growing stuff. I planted a whole packet of pumpkin seeds. My tally?

NONE!

I ended up with 26 green beans, a bunch of radish and one ridiculously huge cucumber. Like a baseball bat sized cuke.
    Nothing else.
    Nada.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Default Tamara....

How much land do you farm and what do you grow on it besides hay and pumpkins?

You're gonna need a bigger truck.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Guin.......loved that line from Jaws. So since Jaws was a great white but Tamara has pumpkins...does that mean she now has to keep an eye out for the Great Pumpkin?

Skyy...I'm not Tamara but if I remember correctly I think she has aroound 1600 acres. She's a hay supplier, Production Acres.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Easy...you need to get into the "U-Pick" business. Offer the city peeps the opportunity to go out and pick their very own pumpkins (for a small fee, of course . They do the work, you get the money AND no work). Lots of places like that in this area...they do very well.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by skyy View Post
    How much land do you farm and what do you grow on it besides hay and pumpkins?
    1600 total acres

120 green beans
    65 field corn
    8 ( ) howden pumpkins
    110 ish horses
    500 ish alfalfa & alfalfa blends
    800 ish grass hay

best

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    What the hell, I must really suck at growing stuff. I planted a whole packet of pumpkin seeds. My tally?

NONE!

I ended up with 26 green beans, a bunch of radish and one ridiculously huge cucumber. Like a baseball bat sized cuke.
    Nothing else.
    Nada.
    You should have picked it when it was small, if you let it 'go to seed', it will stop the blooms and hence, more fruit. Mine for some odd reason are going absolutely wild - overgrowing the bean tower I have them on , I pick one or two a day. Considering I had to plant them twice because of the rain, I'm surprised they lived at all.

We planted all kinds of stuff,started them in the greenhouse, nurtured them tenderly in prepared beds, and you want to know what grew like gangbusters? The effin' pumpkins from Halloween we tossed in the mulch pile! Only five, not five thousand. Five is enough for us, LOL.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I have a bumper crop of butternut squash this year (though I only planted three hills). Seemed to be good growing this year for that kind of thing.

Of course, you guys could probably grow anything, anywhere, so I'm not surprised you ended up with an "excess"!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    I have a bumper crop of butternut squash this year (though I only planted three hills). Seemed to be good growing this year for that kind of thing.

Of course, you guys could probably grow anything, anywhere, so I'm not surprised you ended up with an "excess"!
    we've never planted the things even in a home garden...we never never never thought we'd get more than a couple hundred...ever

Tennessee IS one of the top pumpkin producing states after all. We are actually higher on the pumpkin list than we are on the kudzu list! (Did you know that on a single hot summer day in Alabama a kudzu vine can grow 18"?!)

Last year mr. subk had the "great" idea to grow pumpkins and have our teenage daughters sell them roadside out of the back of a pickup truck for spending money. Zero pumpkins harvested which was probably a blessing all around.

Don't snakes love pumpkin patches?

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    What the hell, I must really suck at growing stuff. I planted a whole packet of pumpkin seeds. My tally? NONE
    That's because you like in the soggy NE. I'm willing to bet we will have another pumkin shortage up here this year. I'm thinking Tamara's 5000 pumkins may come in pretty handy!
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    That's because you like in the soggy NE. I'm willing to bet we will have another pumkin shortage up here this year. I'm thinking Tamara's 5000 pumkins may come in pretty handy!

this month only: free pumpkin,cat or snake with every hay purchase!!!!

Does it come baled in the hay? Or seperate?
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry