The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How big is a cob-sized bridle?

New 15.1 mare has a small head, apparently (I just think that horse head tack has gotten bigger now that everyone has a bigger horse). My 16h TB was usually on or around the last buckle in a normal-sized bridle and the mare is on the last buckle and we could be tightening it, but there is not space to make new holes, at least not in the english bridle.

Would cob/arab sized halters/bridles fit her? Never used them before and not sure how small they are or if they are narrow, etc.

Thanks!

I have dealt with this with some of my horses, especially my daughter's appendix TB/QH who had a short face but a wide forehead. And little bitty ears, he was cute as a bug.
    We bought a cob bridle but then got a horse browband. Or I have bought a regular horse bridle and then had a tack shop shorten the cheekpieces.
    I know it is frustrating to get a bridle and then replace a new part, but those worked best.
    If you are ordering a bridle or buying in a tack shop, be sure to have two measurements from your horse: the browband width and cheekpiece length so you can tell if a bridle will fit.
    It is important to not pinch with a too-short browband.

Default so on this subject

does every company sell separate browbands? my mare has one of those cob sized heads w/ a horse sized brow i have my eye on this lovely tory bridle in cob size but i fear i will need a horse sized brow band for it. the tack shop doesn't carry tory brow bands separate from the bridles...
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I have a 15.2hh QH/Paint mare. Her head is wide, but short. I usually have to get a full size bridle and replace the cheek pieces with cob sized ones. Different manufactuers have different measurements too. If you have a particular brand in mind, you might be able to find the measurements online. Or, as someone else suggested, bring your measurements to the tack shop with you.

Cob size bridles fit most of my horses that are under 16H. As others mentioned, you may have to change out the browband if your horse has a wide forehead.

My 13.2 hh pony takes a cob. So does a friend's 16.2 hh horse, and my mum's 14.3 hh horse, lol. They all have small, pony-like heads.

You'll probably have to switch out the browband if your horse's forehead is wide, as others have said.
    Rebel Without Cash!

I have found that there is quite a variety in "cob sized." Some on-line retailers will give you all measurements if you ask.

Depends on the bridle. I used a cob sized bridle on my 16.1 hh TB and on my 14.1 hh Arabian. I used the same cob sized bridle on my 2-yo WB and finally just got her a full sized in her 3rd year when the throat latch was getting a little snug....

I had other cob sized bridles that wouldn't EVER fit on my TB or WB mare and were small on the Arab, but I've had full sized bridles that I think were made for drafts too....

Yeah, unfortunately they seem to be like women's dress sizes - they change from maker to maker. Nice that some places allow you to mix and match and post the sizes. The "Cob" size isjust not constructed correctly for many cobby horses! I wish somebody would make a ready made bridle for our wedge-heads! Horse-sized crown and browband, shorter cheekpieces and cavesson. Morgan people know...

Quote Originally Posted by GilbertsCreeksideAcres View Post
    I have found that there is quite a variety in "cob sized." Some on-line retailers will give you all measurements if you ask.
    I agree with you. I bought my 15'3" TB a cob size bridle in Red Barn but other bridles I was considering he needed a full size. I think it all depends on the bridle. Some of the bridle manufacturers have their measurements online.

If your horse has a shorter head but wider forehead, there are a few bridles out there in QH sizes--I know Collegiate makes QH bridles. With my QH, I got a cob bridle and then just bought a blingy browband to school in--when I wanted to use the bridle for showing I bought the same bridle again in horse size (it was one of the cheap Suffolk ones from Dover, which are surprisingly good for the price) and did the mix-and-match thing. I would definitely measure your horse and ask the retailer about measurements on different cob sizes.

I have a 15.1 warmblood and bought him a cob bridle. It doesn't fit well. I think it will be okay if I get a different brow band for him because it is pinching his ears a bit.

There's a new company that you can put together your own bridle pieces. They've been advertising on here. Watch for Mix and Match.