The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Windy Wyoming HT?

What do you know about the Windy Wyoming HT? Please share!

What do you want to know about it? It was my old Prelim horse's first Prelim, and he won it too. Fun horse trial, good XC, interesting water, but really neat. Tons and tons of hard work go into keeping it going, and it was always a blast when I was there. I have really fond memories of Windy Wyoming!
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

The fences look beautiful on the website! Who keeps the event going?

There are a few people who really keep it running, and I think there is also a club that helps too. It seems to get low entries but it was one of my favorite HTs in the area, very laid back, easy to deal with, and I always had a blast camping there. Although it can get chilly at night! XC is great, or was the last time I was there. I think I even might have painted part of the Indian Village fences. Either that or I sat there with a beer and chatted while they were being painted. Probably it was option B
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

There are a great group of very dedicated ladies who keep that event going - the group listed on the Web site as well as folks like Christian Eagles, an advanced-level event rider and trainer based in Laramie. It's a really fun time but, like the name says, man can the wind blow there. I went home with dirt in places I didn't even know I had!

Windy Wyoming was my horse's first event ever ... at elementary level. Oh, the mem'ries... there used to be a Weldon's Wall there that was impressive-looking. The first time I pulled in and saw that jump - a prelim fence - I thought, "Man, how cool would it be if this horse and I could actually go that level and jump stuff like that one day?" The elementary course walk that weekend still stands as The.Most.Exciting.Ever because it was my first event for me, after eight years away from the sport, and I did it on my (then) little baby OTTB. He's 16 now, and I still have pictures of him from Windy!
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Don't forget that the Laramie River is the water fence (unless they changed that). You would jump into the river, gallop up stream and jump out. It used to be if you were a few feet off you line to the main channel, you and your went swimming!

It is a fun event and good people! Yes, the wind is a killer but the course makes up for it!

Reed

Sounds like a fun event! Of course since I barely dog paddle, I hope that Walter can swim, and I'll be the one in water wings as part of my xc outfit!

I wish I could go. It looks and sounds like a great HT, tho sadly to far away from me =[
    Words to live by:
    There's always another box on your test
    Over or through
    Throw your heart over the fence and go after it

Very, very cool setting and wonderful course. My only (minor) complaint was that the footing in the warmup arena was quite rocky - but that was about 8 years ago so it may have changed since then.
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Fizz: I think we both did our last Windy at the same event!
    Another even cooler venue in Wyoming is Moonrock in Worland. The jumps are works of art and the landscape is really unbelievable.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Moonrock was a cool event. Last I heard it was only going unrec, but I'm not really on the up and up, other then what my MIL tells me. I won the Training 2 Day up there and then was 5th the next year, T3D I think they did? That was one weekend full of parties and blown transmissions (2 I think, not the same truck!) pretty wild. Man, I miss Area IX!
    WestWind Farms
    - George H. Morris

Heh, as I was reading this, I was thinking how much I miss Area IX too! I remember being bummed to not be able to run XC at Moonrock one year because of all the snow we got. That was a fun 6-hour drive from Montana! Ah, icicles on the trailer and snowflakes in your dressage pictures. In September. Honestly don't miss the drive times though.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me