The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default JRT fans...need help re-homing "Elliot"

A gal who works and lives here needs to re-home her "broken-coated" JRT asap. She has had Eliott since he was a puppy (he's almost 4 now) and had a new baby last year. No real problems until recently since the baby is crawling/standing and requires more time from Mom. His separation anxiety has escalated, etc. Last week, he nipped the baby when she crawled up near his food.

He's so used to being the center of the owner's attention, she's concerned his jealously may increase...and of course wants to take no chances.

Has been raised on a farm, great with the horses, cats, other dogs, geese, cars, machinery...etc. Current on all shots, etc.

He's a realy cute, funny little guy. Not super-hyper, either. If you or you know anyone interested in Eliott, please PM me or email the owner. luckieshell@aol.com

Thanks.
    Last edited by sid; Aug. 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: forgot some info

if you cannot rehome him, the JRTCA has links to JRT rescues. their site is http://www.terrier.com

Yes, she's checking on that. It would be so nice to re-home him here in the Va/Md/WVa with a fellow horseperson though. That's why I said I'd post here. He's a nice little dog who's already "farm trained" and there seem to be so many good dog owners here..

I'm going to go to lunch and pray that when I come back this little guy has already got a new home. Please. Because I'm tempted. But I do not need another dog.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

I do not need another terrier.

I do NOT need another terrier.

Hubby will kill me if I get another dog.

If it gets desperate, and you think he can get along with the 5 JRTs I already have bouncing around here, (and the 2 Catahoulas, 3 Beagles and 2 Mongrels), I'll sneak him in somehow.

See my profile pic for 3 of my little terrors. 30 acres here to roam on, plenty of lap time.
    Everyone has their very own sleeping crate, because trust me, no one sleeps at night if there are 5 terriers loose in the house.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Has she considered consulting with a behaviorist/trainer for tips/strategies that might help her keep her JRT (and her child)?

(Mom to a 3yo, 10mo, JRT, 2 cats and an OTTB)

I know this little dog pretty well. I'm a pretty good trainer myself. IMO, the owner will not be able to devote the tremendous amount of time with consistency needed to change the behavior reliably. Managing the dog around the baby, while working around the farm, takes a lot of time.

Ask me how I know...I'm the one who adopted a Terv pup (not knowing the breed) not long ago. Teaching her to not herd the horses was a full time endeavor, but well worth the effort. She's great now. She ADORES kids, to boot. I digress...

Dawglover he'd probably have a ball with a pack of Jacks. It would probably help with his "single-attachment" issues and give him a job.
    Jazzrider...there's always room for one more, right? Especially since he's very tiny

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Personally, I'd get rid of the kid, but hey, that's just a childless-and-happy-Jack-Russell-lover-and-owner.

Thank God Elliot is A) a male and B) clear across the country, because the spousal unit is making odd noises about adding another JRT but he wants a female since another male would likely upset the current two-male terrier (one full JRT, one semi) pack. And no one, but no one wants an unhappy Jack around the house.

Darling dogs, btw, Dawglover!
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Dogs and horses are SO much easier to train than kids... (though I have no experience with the latter)

dawglover, with all the bouncing and playing Jacks do they might not slow down enough for your hubby to count them. Hard to be annoyed about something you don't notice - until it's curled up in your lap and you're giving it kisses. Then, if he's like my DH, he'll be toast and the Elliot will be homefree!

Jazzrider.. of course, after your post, you know we will hunt you down to take teeny weeny "Elliot"...cute little bugger, he is.

He just seems to be annoyed by an 11th month old taking his "Mom" away from him and crawling into his food. He's great with non-toddlers and all other people in the world, btw.

I think his owner is being very responsible on this front. She adores him, but has to make a choice. If he was to snap and get an eye on this child while she's in this crawling and grabbing phase, while accidental, it would be dreadful.

I support her decision but she doesn't just want to drop him off as a "rescue". He's a good little dude.

I'm not in the immediate area, but I do have a vacancy in my pack. Tho if separation anxiety is an issue, I am at work all day, which is why I have more than one dog (two, at the moment; lost my beloved Corgi in May). Have a large, fenced yard, dog door to a space under my house, dogs sleep in the house with me at night. It's just me and the critters, I do have horses but dogs don't go to the barn with me, it's too close to the road. Love to have a dog in the car with me when I run errands, though!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    dawglover, with all the bouncing and playing Jacks do they might not slow down enough for your hubby to count them. Hard to be annoyed about something you don't notice - until it's curled up in your lap and you're giving it kisses. Then, if he's like my DH, he'll be toast and the Elliot will be homefree!

Hubby's on to my tricks...he does a daily head count He loves them all, just not as much as I do.

The last ''free" dog cost him ~$4000.

He's the sweetest little soul, adores "his" people and at the end of the day is a lap potato.
    He spent the first 9 months of his life confined to a crate 23 hours a day. He wasn't "show quality", so got very little interaction/socialization.

I was sure the farm life would be perfect for him. He got along right away with the other terrors, but the very minute he's off leash, he's GONE! He is so jazzed by all the sights/smells/wide open spaces that he just *can't* stop. He will run for MILES. And refuses to be caught.

So, we now have the "Wookie fence" 5 feet tall chain link, to keep him from leaping over, with electric wire running along the bottom to keep him from tunneling under, and 2 years later, he's still neurotic and is not allowed off leash unless he's in the fence. And since I didn't want him to feel too confined, it's a 120 x 70 fenced area.

Someone out there needs and wants Elliot. But, if it comes down to the wire, and no one else can take him, well, he can come here.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

I think our husbands would be good friends, Dawglover! They would have a lot to commiserate over.

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Jazzrider.. of course, after your post, you know we will hunt you down to take teeny weeny "Elliot"...cute little bugger, he is.
    Ugh, don't tempt me. I've got family in town and then we leave for vacation on the 29th until 9/7. I've chatted with hubby. He's also tempted. We're both just worried about upsetting the peace we have right now with the two dogs we have. But we're close enough to give it a trial run if we give into the temptation when we get back in town. But I'm still crossing my fingers for someone to snap him up to a great horse home. Come on folks.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

I've passed on Jazzrider and Dawglover's interest to the owner (who is also out of town celebrating her baby's 1st b-day with family).

Thanks everyone. I know the most important thing for the owner is to find the right situation for Elliot and whoever adopts him...

Default WAIT a Minute !!!

I KNOW THIS DOG AND THE OWNER ....
    HE IS SUCH A SWEET BOY
    If I did not already have a male JRT I would take him in a heartbeat. so loving and sweet . very laid back guy .
    YES,, I do remember him being the " center of attention" but hey who's dog is not . Right .
    I will call her and try to help also . HE is such a lap dog..
    Good luck and will be in touch .
    "YOU create your own stage. The audience is waiting."