The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Arg why do some feed companies not list their ingredients in their product??

It make my search for a corn-free, barley-free, and flaxseed-free feed much harder! My mare tested as allergic to those ingredients. I think I found a feed I am going with. SafePerformance by Manna Pro, but I like to look at all my options. Nutrena and Purina do not have the ingredients listed! Triple Crown, Seminole, and Manna Pro all do which helps me in my search at least!

Sorry had to vent! Its very annoying. Its much easier to look online then go down to the feed store and look at each tag individually!
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

If they do not have a fixed formula then the ingredients will vary with whatever is cheapest at that time. They only guarantee the analysis, not the ingredients. Which is one of the countless reasons I won't feed Purina.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    Sorry had to vent! Its very annoying. Its much easier to look online then go down to the feed store and look at each tag individually!
    Have you forgotten about this majikal 20th century device called the telephone, which allows you to actually *speak* to people outside your home without leaving home?

The last time I needed ingredient info on a Purina product, I called Purina and had my answer within 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Have you forgotten about this majikal 20th century device called the telephone, which allows you to actually *speak* to people outside your home without leaving home?

The last time I needed ingredient info on a Purina product, I called Purina and had my answer within 2 minutes.
    Haha yea lol I am not a phone person and truthfully did not think of that as I just contacted them through their forum on their website.
    And I love to run.

If they do not have a fixed formula then the ingredients will vary with whatever is cheapest at that time. They only guarantee the analysis, not the ingredients. Which is one of the countless reasons I won't feed Purina.
    That is your answer right there. If they do not have a fixed formula, then the ingredients can and will change as they are not guaranteed. Nutrena and Purina do not have fixed formulas so they will not list ingredients as they do constantly change.

Quote Originally Posted by ponyjumper4 View Post
    . If they do not have a fixed formula, then the ingredients can and will change as they are not guaranteed. Nutrena and Purina do not have fixed formulas so they will not list ingredients as they do constantly change.
    Ditto

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I noticed that you are in FL. If you are in the Ocala area, you have a few other feeds to check, Blue Seal, Tizwiz and Buckeye.

I did a preliminary check, and could not find any that didn't have the ingredients that you are trying to avoid, but Buckeye has one at least:

http://www.buckeyenutrition.com/equi...exturedtag.pdf

There is also Ocala Breeders Feed and Supply brand feeds, but a quick check (I didn't look at all of them) showed most to have corn and/or barley:

http://obfs.com/OurHorseFeeds.aspx

Or you might have to do what the old timers used to do, and feed oats or make your own mix.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Or you might have to do what the old timers used to do, and feed oats or make your own mix.
    Exactly. Actually, there are lots of ways around your dealing with your horses allergies, and the safest way is to avoid commercial/processed feeds all together. Oats is a great way to go (which is where I'm heading...), but you can also feed beet pulp, alfalfa or grass pellets, etc, etc, etc. There are lots of ways to avoid commercial feeds that may (or may not) have your horses allergens in them. If you do some digging around on here, you'll see some innovative ways.

I recently got my horse's allergy results back, too. He is positive to beet (a big argh since, when it comes to weight, muscle, and energy, he was doing great on a beet based feed. He was just a bumpy mess). He is positive to soybean (which is in EVERYTHING), and he's positive to barley. I am in communication with my Pennfield rep (since that's my brand of choice), but I think I'll ultimately end up feeding him whole oats, rice bran, and possibly upping his flax. I'm also going to have to double check his supplements, since soy is literally in EVERYTHING.

If you go unfortified (as in oats or something else) don't forget that she'll need a vit/min sup of some kind.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I tried feeding oats, alfalfa pellets, rice bran, and beet pulp in a variety of different ratios to eachother but she was not having it! I then was trying to do the nonsoy diet, but she is not at all allergic to soy, so I know the improvement I saw was she was off corn and barley. If she would eat that diet I would keep her on it but she was having none of it. I found a Manna Pro product thats seems to fit for her, the Safe Performance. I went and bought a bag as she is a very picky eater, but so far she seems to like it. I am mixing it with the left over oats I have for her and she seems to like that. I am on the fence of whether to take her off the oats completely or keep a mix of the two going.

http://mannapro.com/safe_perfTD.html

Again thanks everyone, I think I have found a solution for now. She is just so darn picky its annoying.
    And I love to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post

thank you!! I second that!!
    Dear life, please send grapes. Sincerely, I prefer wine over lemonade.

A huge problem is that the feed companies have processing plants in each state. Very often, they do not clean the chutes thoroughly, when switching from one feed formula to another, therefore you cannot always trust that every bag will be "pure". Some processing plants are sloppier than others.
    You could go with straight orchard grass pellets, soak them, so that it's a nice gruel, and be safe that way.

I'm confused! I feed Purina Strategy (and used to feed Ultium) and both have feed tags that list the ingredients. My horse tested positive allergy-wise for flaxseed, so I switched from Ultium to Strategy after much thought and after reading the ingredient list.

Am I missing something??