The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pink Ribbon Ride--Helping Poor Women with Breast Cancer

Hi all!

I am seeking sponsors for the Bucks County Horse Park Pink Ribbon Ride, which raises funds to directly help poor women in my community who are fighting breast cancer. This charity is set up in conjunction with the Lehigh Valley Hospital.

Women who are selected to receive funds are allocated 1,000.00 towards basic needs. For example, the very first woman who was assisted the first year of this fund raising trail ride was refusing cancer treatment for her breast cancer because she had no transportation to the hospital and no one who could take her toddler children for the day while she went to and from the hospital and had her treatment (and the after effects of that treatment). The PRR money paid for a taxi and daycare so that she could be treated and at least have a chance to beat the breast cancer.

One woman who was helped last year had five children, and the father up and left. The PRR money was provided to her in the form of a gift card from her local grocery store so that in the final months of her life she was able to feed her children and keep her family together as long as possible.

These monies have been used to pay rent and keep women in their homes, pay for utilities, really, anything which is needful. A small portion of the money raised goes to the Bucks County Horse Park towards trail and land preservation. This is a great cause, and a way to help women very directly and dramatically.

Please consider donating some sponsorship money--any amount is gratefully accepted. You can go to my web site listed in my sig line and make a pay pal donation, or send me a PM for whom to make the check out to and a mailing address. The donation is fully tax deductible.

Thank you so much for your consideration. And, if you are in south eastern PA, please considering riding yourself and gathering your own sponsors! It's about a 6 mile ride in a lovely setting, with many local companies donating prizes. More information can be found on the link from my web page.

when and where is this ride? who is the POC?
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
    member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

Quote Originally Posted by baylady7 View Post
    when and where is this ride? who is the POC?
    Bucks County, PA, being hosted by the Bucks County Horse Park in Revere, PA. It helps women being treated at the Lehigh Valley Hospital. Anyone who would like to participate as a rider or walker is welcome to join in.

The ride happens the first weekend in October--there is a link from my home page to the BCHP page giving specific information, links for forms, etc. Here is the direct link to the page:
    http://www.buckscountyhorsepark.org/pink_ribbon.html

And you lost me on the acronym, sorry. Patron of Choice? Provider of Care?

What a great cause!

I did a "Ride for the Cure" last year with a friend of mine who is a breast cancer survivor; we're probably going to do it again this year. Actually, I'm thinking about volunteering as a guide since the ride takes place in my "home" park and it's a lot of fun, anyway.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Sorry to Hijack; but it chaps my ass that nobody takes any notice.

From the American Cancer Society.

Risk Rises With Birth Control Pills
    The Scandinavian researchers set out to find the answer by doing a prospective cohort study looking at 100,000 Norwegian and Swedish women. This type of study means that a large group of women were questioned before any of them developed breast cancer and then observed. Most researchers believe this is a more reliable method.
    In 1991 and 1992, the researchers sent questionnaires to 196,000 women. Over 103,000 women responded, and these formed the basis of the study. Their ages ranged from 30 to 49.
    The women were followed until 1999. Because Norway and Sweden keep accurate medical records on all their citizens, the researchers could follow the health of all the women. During that time, 1,008 of them were diagnosed with invasive breast cancer.
    The researcher compared the records of those women with women who didn’t develop cancer to see if birth control pills played a role. The most pronounced effect was in women who were still using or had been recently using the pill. Their breast cancer risk was increased by 60%.
    Women who stopped the pill for more than a year had an increased risk of only 20%. Longer use of the pill also increased risk, but the age when women started didn’t seem to matter.
    Last edited by Equibrit; Aug. 28, 2009 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post
    What a great cause!

I did a "Ride for the Cure" last year with a friend of mine who is a breast cancer survivor; we're probably going to do it again this year. Actually, I'm thinking about volunteering as a guide since the ride takes place in my "home" park and it's a lot of fun, anyway.
    Also a very good cause! What a good idea, to be a guide.

What I love about the Pink Ribbon Ride is that it helps women in such a direct way. I feel like I am making a real difference in the life of someone I might pass on the street and not know was in crisis. Back in the day, we knew our neighbors well enough to know who needed help. I want to do that sort of help with my money, not buy envelopes and stamps, or crappy calendars to send to people.