The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Lesson barns in Hudson Valley?

I miss riding and I want to take lessons again! I'm looking for a barn somewhere near me (I'm in Putnam County). I don't have my own horse, unfortunately. I'm not looking for a super-flashy show barn, just a barn where I will continue to get solid riding instruction. I did a Centered Riding clinic a couple of years ago and loved it––a barn with a Centered Riding instructor would be wonderful!

My background: As an adult brand-new to riding, I took H/J lessons for about 3 years (and leased a few school horses during that time), then didn't ride regularly for about a year due to increased time commitments at school. By the time I had to stop riding for a while, I was schooling @ 2'6–2'9 and I had competed in some local shows each summer (max. 2').

Thanks!
    Now I can wear pants!

The Centered Riding site allows you to search for trainers by state -- http://www.centeredriding.org/instructors-search.asp --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

I do not know of any centered riding instructors in the area but, as far as barns that offer lessons for horseless folks:

Jan Golash at Crossroads just had an offer in the Brewster Adult Education catalogue for a package of lessons. (It was kind of odd - usually it is a barn for relative beginners only that is in the Adult Ed catalogue...but it was 8 private lessons for $400, which is reasonable for the area. ) The facility looks very nice and I have heard good things about the training there. (You can access the adult ed catalogue online if you are interested.)

Carla Sacco's Zephyr Farm in Mahopac has a group of adult riders who do the lows and the A/As. In addition to a decent string of school horses, they have some nice lease horses for when/if you are interested in that.

Avalon Farm in Mahopac is a smaller, low key facility that is adult friendly. The do local and some c shows.

Reiner Niewisch is now at Haviland Hollow Farm: The facility is amazing. Some people love riding with him but he is the type, imo, that sort of tells you WHAT to do but isn't really into explaining the details of HOW to do something if you are having a problem getting it done. This method works for some people, though.

These are the barns I can think of off the top of my head that provide lesson horses. If you want more info on any of them, PM me.