The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any of those horses with 'hives' now have rain rot?

I was thinking about the recent threads where folks whose horses have been out in hot wet weather (like mine) had mysterious cases of hives. All sorts of causes were thrown around. I suggested it was a precursor to rain rot.

Now the two beasties that always give me trouble have rain rot. They had all-over hives about a week ago. I immediately began medicated baths, etc. but still have some patches of hair loss.

Anyone else?
    Y'all ain't right!

Yes this happens all the time here in lovely humid, hot eastern NC! I struggle with it constantly. No matter WHAT you do some of the horses contract soemthing that causes this, some sort of a bacteria

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I think sometimes the initial rain rot bumps are mistaken for hives, until the bumps actually crust over into what we recognize as rain rot. Ask me how I know
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

hives is almost always pre rain rot...I have only had a couple of cases of real hives in my life
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Default Raising hand

Yes, one of my boarders had what I thought were hives on his sides a couple of weeks ago, and yes, it turned out to be rain rot . . . Hadn't seen that before, but it cleared up with a few sprays of Horseman's Dream Fungicide.

A bit OT but...I feel like I'm going through the same thing...but with MY legs!! The stuff the dermatologist prescribed doesn't seem to help. Maybe I should just start spraying myself with Micro-tek???
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Thanks for the confirmation
    I felt like a bit of a boob for suggesting rain rot on the last thread... Like mroades, I hardly ever see real hives. Maybe it's because it so %$@& hot and humid down here - I might just welcome some hives if it meant I didn't have to deal with rain rot
    Y'all ain't right!

Yup. We have tons of it here. One of my horses has it only on his left side, where harness straps would lay. My other doesn't, but many of the boarders do. It's gross and I have done 2 medicated baths which seems to have mine under control.

Suzanne: They were probably not true hives to begin with, but rather the emergence of the Oncocherca (Neck Threadworm) microfilaria. In the beginning, they are just small bumps. Then they get flakey, scaly and the hair falls out, causing the rainrot you see.

While it is quite long, I would encourage you to read at least the first 5 or so pages of This Thread including the links to the formal studies. Also read the Case Study Reports on Page 58. Then go buy 4 tubes of Equimax and let him have it
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

That's what it looked like when it started with the pony last year. We initially thought it was an allergic reaction to the laundry soap on the saddle pad.

Yup, we've had it here - but it didn't turn into full blown rainrot, just some funny little black dots that would come off under your fingernails if you scraped them, or could be carefully curried away. That was a couple days ago... I'll have to see what they look like now.

Yep, this is what happened to my guy. Happened last year too around the same time. They were definitely hives at first - and when he busted out with his rain rot, it was not in the same place as the hives (hives were all over and were definitely hives, not mistaken for anything else) and the rain rot was concentrated in a few areas. Fortunately in my gelding's case, MTG has curtailed the rain rot phase substantially. I'm hopeful that we've kicked the cycle now. As a side note of interest, when he was still 'hivey' I took him to a weekend show, and his 24 hours in a show stall and away from his pasture make the hives disappear - which led me to conclude that it was something outdoors that was triggering his reaction.
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."